don't click here

Sonic CD Style Camera in Sonic 2

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by AmazinglyHopeless, Aug 21, 2017.

1. AmazinglyHopeless

AmazinglyHopeless

I've seen Sonic CD like-camera behaviour for sonic 1, so i assume this is possible for sonic 2? There's alot of similarities between Sonic 1 and 2, so I can't imagine it being that hard.
    I've had veeery low experience with ASM, so if this is possible, can someone walk me through it? It would be really appreciated.

2. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    No, Sonic 2 is so completely different from Sonic 1 that anything you can do in Sonic 1 is completely impossible to duplicate in Sonic 2.[/sarcasm]

What you have to do, is study both games, locate the corresponding code for each part, and modify the relevant parts of Sonic 2 accordingly.

3. Caverns 4

Caverns 4

Sonic: Retold
    The biggest difference in Sonic 2, as far as the camera is concerned, is the existence of 2-player support. Whatever changes you make to the camera for Sonic, you'll probably also need to do for Tails.

4. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    Actually, the camera code is done in a player-independent way; player-specific data is accessed through address registers pointing to player SST or camera position, so you only have to write it once and it will work for both.

The issue is doing a good extended camera: the spindash camera locking mechanic has to be disabled (or changed), and making it smooth enough when going through loops and half pipes.

5. luluco

luluco

Brazil
    I also have been interested in replicating the CD camera, but in Sonic 1, but I have no idea where to start.
    I've tried changing the horizontal offset address but it didn't work, so I assume there's a specific region in the code that handles the camera.

In fact my dream is to have the camera always ahead of Sonic in whatever velocity he is (obviously within a range).
    So if he's moving up a hill to the right, the camera shifts up-right. I think that'd help visibility significantly.

6. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Camera code in Sonic 1 is found in DeformLayers, starting at the ScrollHoriz label.

7. luluco

luluco

Brazil
    Thanks man, I'll take a look!