don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    Au contraire. Those spinning poles grant you opportunity because they launch you at high speed from any height you want. As long as you line yourself up right, they're the easiest hits.

I was more reminded of the train level in Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose.
    [​IMG]

As far as the CPZ2 boss, I enjoyed the hell out of it, but I can't help but agree with Aerosol that the genre shift was too much. The idea of using it as a fake-out and moving onto a more traditional boss after only a brief period of puyo that you literally can't lose except on purpose* would've been less jarring and quite frankly funnier. A good "just kidding" moment can be powerful if you go all the way in setting it up.

* + - I'm thinking the machine breaks down and tosses you into an ordinary boss after a set period, quickly enough that the only way to lose is to drop all your pieces into a straight, one-column, vertical tower, at high speed with the down button. This would also leave room for an easter egg or an achievement or something if you manage to lose here.  

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    how is it an hommage? Tiny Toons on SNES has a desert Train level too

3. serpx

serpx

I would rage quit so hard. I still can't beat the 2nd special stage, and I beat the game!! Someone PLEASE make a tutorial video on how to win at these easier.

4. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    If you know it's hyperbole why even...ok. Whatever.

And you said me not liking Puyo Pop meant I can't rightly say whether the boss was done well or not. And if he "kills himself", then he's even easier than the first boss in the game. Ramping difficulty then?

Zelda has a convention of having you think outside the box, and at least teaches you new mechanics if they're going to be required. Taking a quiz is not as big a deal as changing the execution skillset a player is required to have in order to progress through the game (though still pretty fucky, depending on how it was done). Turrican is a shooting game so it's not exactly a complete genre shift. Mario Galaxy (probably) didn't outright require you to beat the completely different levels in order to beat the game (and even then, at least briefly taught you the new mechanics). And are you telling me that The Witcher requires you to beat somebody at a Gwent match that isn't tutorial-level-easy in order to beat the game? Without teaching you how to even play Gwent? Cause if that's so then that's fucking stupid too. But I don't like Witcher so meh.

The callback would've been better as a fake-out, not the meat and potatoes. That's what I'm saying.

5. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    On the whole Chemical Plant Act 2 boss, yeah I hate to say it but changing genres for one mandatory boss fight was a bit silly. Don't get me wrong, I smiled when I saw it and I had an easy time with it but it's easy to imagine a situation where a younger player has a hard time with the boss and can't progress any further. That's a huge portion of the game they're missing out on because of one boss.

I think a decent solution would be that failing the PuyoPuyo section sends you into a proper boss fight. Winning the Puyo section would allow you to skip that boss fight - this would also justify ramping up the difficulty of the Puyo section, because it wouldn't be the only way to win the level.

6. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    It should have been the mini-boss

7. Pengi

Pengi

I know. That's what I was saying.

Okami said that it didn't make sense in Sonic 3 either, since the Master Emerald hadn't been stolen yet. I pointed out that the Sonic 3 manual explains why the island is on the planet's surface.

It makes sense in Sonic 3. It doesn't make sense in Sonic Mania. That's what I was saying.

8. Glaber

Glaber

Well since the bug topic is locked. has anyone encountered this:
    Mirage Saloon Act 1 boss
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Machine Mayhem no-collide badnik
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gotta love how debug mode will be way more useful in bug reporting this time around.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    ^ In regards to that one glitch with the badniks, did you by chance use one of those things that rotates and causes you to be on the plane behind things? If so and you used debug to fly past the area, it might be that you're just on a different plane than the badnik, so it's not hurting you. I can't tell what's wrong with the Mirage Saloon one outside of Knuckles being on the plane.

Maybe lore says that gem in the ground in Mania was screwing with the Master Emerald in such a way that caused the island to fall in the ocean? Angel Island also fell in SA1 after Knuckles restored the Master Emerald so there might be more to it than just the emerald. They probably could have made more sense of the plot though had the game's story ended with Angel Island rather than little planet, which is chained to the surface apparently because why not. Like maybe Titanic Monarch was built on the island and caused it to become unstable and crash.

How convenient that the island continuously falls into the ocean and not some populated place btw :v:

For all the complaints against Generations' story, well, anniversary plots are kinda difficult because then you get things like this where things just kinda happen and you don't know why.

10. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Finally beat special stage 5 last night. Trick was to chain jump on the ring boxes on the side path to reach the instant speed up box. That raises your speed an entire level, basically cutting a lap out of my run. With the lap removed, and thus I wasnt as far behind anymore, I was finally able to catch the ufo.

The other two stages were easy compared to stage 5.

11. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I personally liked CPZ's boss, but I can see why many people didn't care for it.

12. Glaber

Glaber

the first screen shot is a different play through from the other two.
    When I flew to that spot with debug, I didn't hit/trigger any of the plane flippers/spinners. The badnik itself I suspect is on the wrong plane.

Knuckles, Last I knew wasn't suppose to be on the plane that far into the level. If you remember, he gets knocked off right at the start! (really need a pickup scene in Hydrocity.) That first picture is during the boss battle (evidenced by the dust flying up from the boss digging through the ground) the others are after the act ends but before act 2 starts.

How I got that to happen was I just went to the boss after failing a 3d ring special stage and he was back on the plane all the way to it crashing.

13. Dr. Corndog

Dr. Corndog

Just finished the game (without all the emeralds). I know I'm not alone in thinking Titanic Monarch is the best last stage in the entire series.

14. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Plane mappings don't affect collision with objects. Switching planes changes the collision array for solidity tiles only.

Edit: wait, misunderstood which plane switching mechanism you were speaking about.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Don't they though? What about the spikes and badniks behind the walls in those sections?

16. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Yeah my mistake, I thought you were talking about invisible switchers, like the kind that you pass on the apex of a loop.

17. How many of you have played through Knuckles story in mania yet?

I did and the end of lava reef is hidden palace, super emeralds and all. While the game doesn't explain a lot of things the super emeralds have reverted to what looks like granite. It could be the effect of the phantom ruby,
    maybe not. Who even knows what's up with them anymore. But we aren't exactly sure yet the mechanics of what had happened. Something's up, they just haven't cared to elaborate.

The phantom ruby seemed to be doing a lot of weird stuff, and Super Sonic's ending showed the normal chaos emeralds and the ruby seemingly effect each other in odd ways. If the phantom ruby breached this dimension at angel island attracted to the master emerald and it could be the reason it's on the ocean again. It's what I'm taking away from it all.

18. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

Re: Plot holes, story inaccuracies, etc

There is a third, hidden ending in Sonic Mania that explains that everything was just a story book that Knuckles was reading to some woodland friends. The story book is called "Sonic Mania & Knuckles."

19. Special Stage 5 is still killing me.

EDIT: Just beat it quickly by playing more focused music over the game (Checkpoint by Nitro Fun). It became much easier to focus on the game without the high-energy Special Stage music playing, so if your brain works like mine this might help.

20. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Some more stuff after a playthrough with Knuckles:
    - Why can't you grab onto the MGZ-style pulleys in Stardust Speedway when you roll?
    - Getting hit by the platforms with spikes on the end of them make you get thrown back at a different velocity than usual (like you're affected by the platform's velocity too).
    - Why do you not slide on the waterslides in Hydrocity?
    - The hands in Hydrocity can grab you even while you're on the ceiling.
    - Why do the bumpers in the special stage affect you while you're in the air?