don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. So, kinda curious why the bug thread for Mania was closed when I don't see a "day 1" patch anywhere in sight. If the mods know something, great. But I don't remember seeing anything about patch support for Mania.

2. Pokepunch

Pokepunch

UK
    A Sonic 2 Hack
    Has anybody else randomly died after beating the CPZ boss? Like as soon as it's finished.

EDIT: It's happened twice in a row now.

3. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    On emulators like say MAME you have this mode called bi linear filter that blurs the pixels so they don't look as harsh as they do without one. That's what this clean filter is though personally I don't think it's as good as the one from MAME.

4. Picked up the game on Xbone as I didn't feel like waiting for the PC version. I've beaten the game as Sonic+Tails and it's pretty fun! I did unlock the S3K Instashield and Sonic CD Super Peel Out, but could not find out how to use them as outside of the unlock messages there was not a single hint as to how to use them. On reading up a bit it looks like they can only be used in No Save mode and you have to press Triangle/Y to access a secret menu to equip them? Not only was this not explained anywhere, but that also sounds rather backwards in a game as well-designed as this. However, I supposed I can't fault the devs too much; I've seen worse implementations of unlockables and honestly with how good the rest of the game is I'm willing to give the devs a pass here.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    For PS4 I got it to work by holding X, Square, and Options on the icon itself. Thank god it worked lol.

Egg Reverie's level select icon is literally just the Sonic 2 Death Egg graphic :v:

6. RGX

RGX

Animator Member
    US
    On the Xbox One version. Is the opening movie supposed to be so compressed?

I was hoping to see it in lossless HD... : /

7. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    So... do you think we may get a patch adding the missing level transitions? Or is it "intentional"? The game could have been truly perfect without this inconsistency... That's a shame.

8. Xeeynamo

Xeeynamo

London
    Unfortunately yes, looks like a glitch.

9. RikohZX

RikohZX

I legitimately can't seem to figure out how to get the level select code to work on PS4.

10. raiongame

raiongame

You're not the only one... I've tried the suggestions in this thread to no avail.

Any tips?

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I got it to work by holding down X, Square, and Options on the No Save icon. Also, interesting Easter Egg. You can play Egg Reverie as Tails and Knuckles via Level Select. Beating it as Tails gives you Sonic's good ending sequence. Knuckles though has his own result:

You're treated to what looks like a Tyson Hesse picture of Knuckles reading a book titled "Sonic Mania & Knuckles" to the little animals while Sonic and Tails look at each other in the background with like "wtf is he talking about" expressions on their faces. Knuckles changed the story to make himself the big hero, cheeky bastard

12. In the D.A. Garden there's a track called "42 - Egg Reverie Pinch Mode". Does it actually play at any point in-game? As far as I can tell, the whole battle just uses "41 - Egg Reverie Boss". I tried going <10 rings and that doesn't do anything either. There's something really weird about this game...

13. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Well, I just finished the game with Knuckles, without all the Emeralds, because goddamn do the special stages suck. I just lacked any motivation to complete them.

Blue Spheres are very hit-and-miss, the paths you're supposed to take aren't clear in 90% of the new stages, and they just seem to be deliberately overly confusing.

The boss fights are hit-and-miss too, with Oil Ocean 2 being a prime example of cramming too much crap into something all at once, and every other act 2 boss fight seems to be a chase of some kind.

I hated Sonic CD, so my opinions of those levels should be fairly clear, special shoutouts to the shitfest that is the Metal Sonic fight. Whoever thought that would be good needs shooting.

Other than that, it's a huge step in the right direction, deserves its 8/10, but still not a patch on the Megadrive originals

14. It shows "Y - Secrets" in the menu when you are hovering over the No Save slot.

15. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I just got done beating the game with Sonic, but only with one chaos emerald. My favorite original level is Press Garden Zone. I love both acts but act 2 is better IMO. I really love how Silver sonic from sonic 2 8-bit appeared and I loved the bubble gimmick from Aqua Lake Zone too! I freaked out when I seen silver sonic, my girlfriend thought something was wrong with me. xD

16. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    about to start livestreaming again: https://www.twitch.tv/krejlooc

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I wish Debug wasn't so limited in most levels. The best level to play around with is Mirage Saloon as you're given so many items and can spawn that Caterkiller boss as much as you want. Part of the fun with debug is finding ways to break the game, which I definitely did at one point (I glitch finished Mirage Saloon Act 1 as Tails, and was then dumped in Knuckles' Act 1, only I was invisible and could go anywhere but I couldn't place anything down. I also had 0 lives and my character icon was Sonic. It did soft lock the game since I couldn't pause to quit, but eh, I knew the risks going in :v:

18. Sirius-R

Sirius-R

basement cave under a rock
    whatever 3AngleTeam/3Angleware is up to atm (currently dead)
    Nope. In fact, I derailed the entire thread into music discussion with this kind of opinion.

(a reminder that I'll get to my more-or-less full opinion on Mania soon... ladies and gentlemen, prepare your pitchforks in the meantime)

19. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    I'm so glad that Knuckles & Knuckles works in the cutscenes. I want to do a full playthrough of it. :v:

20. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

...The checkpoint sparkles don't go away when you get all perfect blue sphere medals. I guess someone on the dev team really likes playing blue sphere over and over again.