don't click here

Spoiler-free Sonic Mania discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Overlord, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I really hope it's not 12am PST like someone said. :( Currently making an Australian eshop account for Mania.

2. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Godspeed. I tried this morning and it wouldn't take either of my cards. I've got the CE coming in tomorrow for XBONE, but jeez, I want to support it on other consoles, not to mention play it now.

3. Andeh

Andeh

Derp herp. Oldbie
    I hate that I can't buy it yet on my switch. I have all 3 platforms, but I'm not buying it more than once, so I'm going with the one that's both portable and TV, plus I need more switch games.

4. Cant buy this on US PSN or Switch yet...i feel depressed. :(

5. Metalsonicmk72

Metalsonicmk72

Only thing I can find is this tweet from Aaron Webber aka "RubyEclipse"

https://twitter.com/RubyEclipse/status/897265137643528193

Since the second line has PDT in it, I imagine the first line was meant to have that as well...?

6. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie

I'm in Seattle and I was able to download it the second it hit 9 over here. Ive been playing it for the past hour...Are you still not able to download it?

7. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    PC user here. I am sad over the wait. Looking over at Steamdb, it seems they've added "Full Controller support". Was there some kind of weird driver issue with certain controllers cause I recall Taxman saying Mania was compatible with Xinput and D-input controllers.

8. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Still a no-go over here on the east side.

9. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Searching "Sonic" pulls up nothing on the Switch eShop either.

10. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    [​IMG]

yay pc release tomorrow haha

11. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Be careful as the Switch version is really bug-ridden ATM.

(Mainly corrupted palettes, garbled SFX and not being able to use the switvh menu interface properly on tablet mode)

12. I'm on the East Coast too and it's still not up for me. East and West must have different eShop servers I guess. I'm giving it until 3AM Eastern (Midnight Pacific) and if it's not up by then I'm just going to bed.

13. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Wait, what? Why would Sega release a bug ridden game? Hopefully it's just the review version.

14. This is either the great sarcastic post ever or a sweetly innocent post. I love it either way

15. Mania is up on the Switch eShop here on the East Coast now.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I got a Time over on a level. It took me aback for a second, but once it was revealed why I died I had the dumbest grin on my face.

This is what I wanted for years. A Sonic game where I feel like when I die it's my fault. It controls like a dream, feels familiar, but it's all new. For that split second especially I was brought back to my childhood, and I loved it.

Bless you Mania team. This is Sonic 4 as I truly imagined it. This, in some spectacular way, is helping me fight my internal battle of enjoying things and being myself. I always feel inclined to apologize for liking almost anything, of course starting from when I was young and was made fun of for liking Sonic and such, but not with this. With this I fight that urge because everything about it makes me truly happy, and for once I want to fight the urge to apologize for nothing and truly enjoy myself. I haven't completed this game yet, but I'm 99% confident that this will go down as my favorite Sonic game of all time. It took 20 years, but S3K has been dethroned. This is the best classic title in the series.

17. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Out of interest, how much play time does the game have? I've heard it's around 3 hours, but I'm guessing (and hoping) that 3 hours is just for beating it and that all the multiple routes, characters, secrets etc will make it longer (hopefully in the region of 10+ hours).

Also is the Switch version significantly different from the rest in terms of quality? (I'm guessing it might be too early to know).

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I mean I've been playing it since 12 and I'm only on level 5 or 6 (Stardust Speedway). I've taken some breaks and I've been drinking, but I've had 4 hours into it so far and I have more time for sure. I'm still on my first playthrough!

It all depends on how acquainted you are with the classics (and in my case how inebriated you are). If this is your "Sonic Jam" then this will feel amazing. You may fly through it, but you might not. The duality between new and old is spectacular in this game, and intuition and skill will really determine how long this game is via both the Sonic and Knuckles route.

Fine, spoilerino. Knuckles has some different stuff going on than Sonic does. Idk what exactly outside of a few things, but like S3K it's a mostly unique experience. And keep in mind I'm still on the Sonic playthrough. I have no concrete idea what the Knuckles game includes outside of GHZ.

19. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Came home to a power outage tonight of all nights :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.