don't click here

Sonic OVA current copyright holder?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by ashthedragon, Aug 11, 2017.

1. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Hi there!
    I'm investigating about Sonic OVA and would like to know who is the current copyright holder for it at US. I hazily remember someone on here talking about it being on a legal limbo since ADV closed down but... does anyone have more clear info on it? It would be very helpful!

2. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Well ADV's licences all went in different directions, but Wikipedia says the company simply split into 5 smaller companies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.D._Vision#Sale_of_assets_and_dissolution

Seems either Sentai Filmworks or AEsir Holdings would be the ones holding onto the Sonic OVA rights if they have them.

(on a bit of a tangent, does SEGA know that the fans actually kind of like the Sonic OVA? I could imagine it getting a re-release one day)

3. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    I'm less interested in a rerelease of the movie (there already exists a DVD, so not like we're stuck with VHS quality sources), and more interested in a release of the OST. Now that would be awesome.

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    From what I remember there was no OST because the OVA didn't do well. On top of that I remember hearing that the music was just done for the parts it was in, so no extensions or anything like that. So if an OST were to be made the music people would all have to get together again and basically re-do everything.

5. Didn't someone already recompose part of the ost? https://youtu.be/PTkoJMa7LvY

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I don't get why they'd have to re-do anything...

7. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    He's saying because only interstitial music segments exist, and are not part of longer, more formally composed songs with logical and natural-sounding beginning and endings.

8. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Unless you want straight loops of 30 seconds to a minute of music like a Nintendo OST (Actually Nintendo OSTs usually play a minute long so g once and don't look at all) they'd need to add some stuff, like all those South Island MIDIs of old that added stuff in after the initial track ended before looping.

EDIT: What Cooljerk said.

9. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    https://soundcloud.com/mr-kingalocious/sets/sonic-ova-ost-reconstruction

Most if not all of the soundtrack has been "reconstructed" by Mr Kingalocious. Give it a listen when you have time--I enjoy some of them.

10. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    This is about as good as anybody will ever get. Back in the old days, I actually had a bunch of midi renditions of the OST tracks I'd listen to, haha.

11. Kushami

Kushami

Oldbie
    Sega is the copyright holder and it's not currently available for license. Companies do this sometimes when it comes to older shows. It has long since reverted from ADV back to the original license holders.

Source: I work for a home video company that has licensed Sega shows in the past and this is the answer we got when inquiring about it.

12. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Thank you very much for clearing it, Kushami!! Sad it is not currently available for license, with Sonic Mania uproar I think it is the best moment to bring back the good old classic Sonic anime action. Oh well!

13. Chimera

Chimera

I'm not a furry. Tech Member
    Castlevania prettyness
    While its not available for liscence, with the uproar of Mania and its unquestionable success in the press pre-launch, the reaction to Tyson's official opening (that I still refuse to watch until i own the game), and the direction the series seems to be going on the classic-inspired side, I wouldnt be surprised if there's a fan uproar for a remastered release somewhere down the road, or hell even a remake of the OVA in some fashion (ill keep dreaming about that). One thing Ive confirmed from the reaction to the animated bits of Mania, is that peoplr are VERY into the idea of a cartoon in that style. As someone who dreamed of heading a sonic cartoon in that style as well, I can only say: ABSOLUTELY, YES.

14. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I've more than once attempted to dig into this rabbit hole to no avail. Thank you Kushami for sharing the answer!

15. Kushami

Kushami

Oldbie
    Trying to give this classic a proper Bluray release is on my bucket list. I don't know if it would happen but it's my open secret that I'd love to produce something good for it. It saddens me just as much because the old ADV release isn't really that great.

Also, please don't hold it against Sega for not offering it out. There could be tons of reasons why it's not available for license right now, a bunch of which could be out of their hands. I'm sure it'll eventually be available again in the future.

16. Do you know if this means Sega also re-obtained any assets used for dub production? In particular, perhaps, the BGM and sound effects audio tracks that would presumably have been sent for the dubing process?

17. It'd be fun if they redubbed this with the current cast, maybe a different actor for Sonic if Roger can't find a fitting voice for Classic Sonic.