don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Wait, there might only be 4 new zones? Hopefully there is at LEAST a super sonic only new level. The streamer quit, so we may not know until tuesday. If so, that's a bit of a letdown. I really was hoping for at least 5 entirely new stages. We need a Mania 2 even more badly if this is true.

Edit: On the plus side, Lava Reef and Metallic Madness were a lot more original looking. Especially the latter.

2. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    It's at least 6 (not counting a possible final boss level!)

Studiopolis
    Press Garden
    Mirage Saloon
    Crusade Castle
    Prism Night
    Egg Hill
    ??? (possible final boss level)

3. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Crusade Castle, Prism Night, and Egg Hill are fake. Titanic Monarch is a thing after Metallic Madness.

4. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    No, that list you're pulling from was confirmed fake by the stream. Crusade Castle, Prism Night and Egg Hill aren't real. The lists which mentioned the other returning zones was separate from the one you're showing now, so someone took that and made up 3 fake new names.

We're not 100% sure, but the zone he was last in seems to be the final one save a secret Doomsday-esque boss being possible.

Guess we'll know for sure soon. With that, I'm out.

5. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Holy shit I didn't see the title card!

6. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Needs more original stages/10. :colbert:

I know that wasn't their call and all the old stages are so very nicely mixed that they're like new anyway. But from what I've seen so far I hope there's a bit more.

7. BtCE

BtCE

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  8. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Stardust speedway looked like it was extensively mixed, though I don't recall as much from some of the changes made to the past/present of the original game. There were lots of other gimmicks from other older zones that it really made it look different though.

9. Whenever I express my dislike for something in Mania, I try to do it respectfully, and make it clear that it's probably a matter of taste, not lack of quality. The talent behind Mania is amazing, and while the soundtrack definitely has quality, it unfortunately doesn't pack the types of melodies that get me pumped up.

I hadn't realized you were Tyson Hesse before your reply, and man, your work in particular is amazing! You captured the essence of Sonic beautifully, and I hope you have many more opportunities to work with this franchise!

I'm not gonna pretend I'm great at scripting animations, but I guess I just wanted to see more... the abstract world unfortunately didn't have an interesting enough structure to showcase the characters in action. I was expecting something like an anime series opening, something like Knuckles energetically climbing up a cliff, and then Tails flies by carrying Sonic, then Tails approaches the top and Sonic lets go of Tails doing a backflip, while the camera (which is moving to follow all the action - so the scenery is actually animated too) turns and moves away from them, and then Sonic lands and runs towards the camera, followed by Tails flying, and Knuckles who emerges from the edge of the cliff and follows them... Then they find a group of badniks and take them out using various moves (Sonic spindashes, Knuckles punches) and then the Hard Boiled Heavies show up to show that shit's got real, and the atmosphere becomes all sinister... Yeah, typical anime opening stuff, but it's exciting!

I'd love to hear what you have to say! I'm a big fan of animation (hand drawn game intros in particular tend to be really cool) and your work is some of the best I've seen in a while. I'll be looking forward to it!

10. BtCE

BtCE

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  11. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    How can one person have such a clear visual understanding of Classic Sonic and his personality? Seriously... Tyson Heese, Boxerhocky, whatever you want to be called, you never fail to totally blow me away with every little thing you do.

I love the music in the opening animation, love the quirks displayed by the Hardboiled Heavies. Just... I can't put into words how hyped I am for this game. :D

12. this game

oh my god. it can't overstated how well it's turned out.

Thank you so much to all the team. From the bottom of this rather jaded fan's heart of over 15 years. You've produced something truly better than Sonic 3 and Knuckles. Amazing.

13. Lord Kanti

Lord Kanti

Is it just me, or did the video of the stream cut out on the last level?

14. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    It's because the stream crashed. The leaker uploaded the ending as a separate video later.

There is something weird with the whole leak though, like if there is something amiss. The first 4 zones have great zone transitions (the Studiopolis -> Flying Battery is amazing) yet later stages lack them completely. Starting from Flying Battery -> Press Garden there is just a blank screen. Also, you fight the Biker Heavy in a returning zone, while the other are fought only in the new ones

15. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    What can I say, really...

this animation is absolutely fantastic. More 2D animation for future Sonic games, pleeease SEGA! While I don't like the Hyper Potions music at all, I guess a lot of people think it's fitting, so maybe the music choice they made wasn't a bad one.

I don't want to be completely spoiled, so I'm not gonna be looking out for any "leaks" before the game finally arrives.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ughh couldn't resist and watched some leak stuff, skipping around Hydrocity act 1 and watching a Metal Sonic boss fight. It's all so good I want it. And for those who were worried, fear not, there are hue hue hues in the Metal Sonic Stardust Speedway fight :specialed:

17. I'll keep the video watching to about 10 to 20 seconds per zone.

18. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

Official channel's streaming with a "special announcement"

Maybe if we survive it, we get a chaos emerald

EDIT: It's the Sonic 06 loading screen. I did not know they did this, that's hilarious.

19. Echoing the other thread, but PC / Steam version delayed until August 29th. That sucks.

20. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    I'm guessing that it must be that "game breaking bug" that a person with a review copy had posted about earlier.

Edit: Or maybe DRM issues? welp