don't click here

Spoiler-free Sonic Mania discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Overlord, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AkumaYin

AkumaYin

I desperately want to thoroughly enjoy this game without anything spoiled prior, yet at the same time I can hardly resist the urge to look in the other thread's spoiler tags... help.

2. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    I don't get the people on the other thread, but whatever. Safe haven! I use Google Now all the time, and fortunately an spoiler free article showed up, I used it to mark that I'm not interested in Sonic Mania :P

Anyways, five days, can't waitttttttttttt

3. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Yup. I think that applies to everything from now until we get to play the game.
    [​IMG]
    EVERY CLICK IS A RISKY CLICK

4. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Here's something to discuss that isn't spoilery. I was testing Sonic CD 2011 Steam to see if there were any issues with the SLS Saturn pad in what is essentially the same engine. Turns out the pad isn't natively supported, nor are the controls rebindable in the game, so I can't pause with the pause button. Can anyone tell if rebindable keys or native SLS Saturn support is in the game?

5. Pengi

Pengi

Can anyone recommend a Sonic Mania appropriate controller for Switch?

I have the Pro Controller, but the d-pad and its position isn't the best. Any third party ones worth getting?

6. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Since I don't have a Switch I don't know what all your options are, but in the past a few people have suggested HORI's Pokken Tournament Pro Pad. It's reportedly got a very nice D-Pad, making it the go-to for a lot of people when it comes to fighting games and platformers. I know I'll probably be playing on it at a friend's house when Mania comes out on Switch (still holding out for a midnight release!).

Seems to be pretty cheap from GameStop.

7. Violet

Violet

Sweden
    Flicky Engine, Overdrive
    Maybe one of the 8bitdo controllers? They seem to be pretty neato.
    http://www.8bitdo.com/#Products

Based on Nintendo stuff but yeah. NES30 seems to be pretty solid.

Either that or the Pokken controller as Waters said.

8. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    Yeah as stated above, the HORI Pokken pad is a great tool for sidescrollers. They made it 100% compatible.

9. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Thank you Overlord for saving us from ourselves!

10. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Yeah I'm in the same position. Want a spoiler-free experience so everything feels surprising and new on the 15th but also super tempted to jump in to the other thread and see things like the zone list and so on. Think I'm going to force myself to not look at anything and I know I'll be glad that I did come release day.

Suggest you do the same!

11. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I was hoping I could use m Wii U Pro Controller, but since I don't have any adapters or Bluetooth in my laptop, it's a no go.

Thankfully I have two trusty PS3 DS3 controllers that work with Steam out of the box. Not too hot on the DS3's D-pad, but I'd take over using keyboard inputs.

Going on a trip this weekend and I might run into my cousin, who is how I got introduced to Sonic in the first place (he had a Sega Genesis with Sonic 2). Really hoping I might be able to play Mania on my PC with him if possible. c:

12. Raivop

Raivop

Ze Lurker Member
    Unfortunately, I have to resort using keyboard for my Sonic Mania playthrough, because Xbox 360 Wired controller's D-pad is just too wonky/crappy for 2D platformers... hmm, maybe I should look for a Saturn/Genesis controller for 2D platformer games. Might as well check the ones you guys mentioned.

Edit: Oh right, and are there any good PS1/PS2 controller into PC-adapters? I could potentially play Sonic Mania via PS1 controller as well.

13. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    That zone list is painfully tempting, but I want to have my OMG moments while playing the game. At the same time of something pisses me of while playing, it would drive me to peek.

14. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
  15. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie

Go into steam big picture mode, and under settings, go to Controller Settings, and enable generic gamepad support. Once you do that, you can define and remap your SLS Saturn pad per-game by going to "Controller Settings" under the game menu before launching the game (it's also available on desktop by right clicking the game name).

16. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    I'm having this same issue, man. We need a support group to get us through this.

Just need to keep chanting that I don't want to look... I want to wait...

17. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I'm very tempted to check the other thread, but on the other hand I'm staying off social media sites until I play the game in order not to get spoiled. :v: To distract myself I've been working on my own projects. I hope these next few days goes by super fast.

18. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
  19. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    I'm pretty sure physical copies are going to be dependent on the digital sales. I can imagine them releasing it a few months down the line ala Shovel Knight with a bonus perk or two.

20. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihxVtjQyNjQ

The only reason I'm sharing this video is because of all the facts this guy gets incredibly wrong. It's almost impressive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.