don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    New page bump:

http://youtu.be/aPRotnINixs

Stop being everything we've wanted goddamnit. I'm supposed to be a jaded Sonic fan on a message board.

2. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    There's only one thing I don't like about this game, the goofy ass Sonic 3 one up jingle. S3k's was much better imo.

3. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    Not him, but the point he was trying to make is that the 1-up jingle used in Sonic 4 -is- the Sonic 3(solo, non lock-on) 1-up jingle (orchestral masterpieces aside).

Ohey split screen competition mode! The thing that introduced me to the franchise! Welcome back, old friend!

4. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    I'm happy we have competition mode back, hope it does work online.

If I could nitpick just once though, I was kinda hoping for 10-player race mode. That would have been a lot more fun, I think, plus it'd be a nice kind of throwback to Saturn Bomberman

5. Yeah, I kinda reacted a little bit too negatively on that one. Unfortunately, this jingle is wired in to my brain so hard, that for me it will always be Sonic 4 jingle, despite the factual evidence on contrary. Those are the consequences of jumping to the series late.

6. Amnimator

Amnimator

If Mitsuyoshi isn't singing something in this game, I'm going to... Probably still get this game. But we need some more Mitsuyoshi jams, SEGA pls.

7. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member

Time, Score, rings, total rings & items. My favorite 2-player vs mode is back. I'm so happy!

[​IMG]

Oh look, it was a tie :v:

8. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Regardless, it's rather disappointing to use an old jingle instead of just make a new one out of the Sonic Mania theme. Same could have been done with Sonic 4.

Obviously something as small as a 1up jingle isn't going to ruin the game though. Just small, minor gripes, that all games generally have. Not everything can be perfect.

9. NoNameAtAll

NoNameAtAll

MY HAT'S ON FIRE. HALP! Moderator
    Not to mention the invincibility music, like in Sonic 4, uses music based on the main theme of the game.

Ah well, minor quibbles all the same. I'm hyped.

10. Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Renard Oldbie
    I'm just hoping there's a way to un-squish the aspect ratio somehow in two players mode. The jumps always felt weird to me in Sonic 2 2P for that reason. Maybe even use two screens for the PC version?

11. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    Yeah, I get they're going for authenticity, but there really should be a more "modern" split screen option. Not gonna lose sleep over it either way, but eh.

12. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    UGH, what an annoying, horrible voice [in an otherwise excellent welcome 2-player mode]!

It really didn't need any voice AT ALL on this!

13. Felik

Felik

Wow 2P splitscreen multiplayer looks even worse in widescreen. Also the ridiculous 60 seconds time limit for the second player to grab rings, score and items was and still is a joke.
    Luckily that's just a small part of the experience I can safely ignore.

14. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Super happy to see Competition Mode is back. One of the best things about Sonic 2 that wasn't replicated as good in later Sonic games w/ multiplayer. (SA2:B came the closest.) Hopefully we have online races in addition to local, even Sonic 2 Remastered on mobile devices had that.

Not a fan of the game replicating Sonic 2's flattened aspect ratio, though. skullomania on NeoGAF posted an image edit that shrunk the screens to a more natural aspect ration, like in Sonic 3's Competition Mode (or if you're going for a more obscure example, the multiplayer display option in the emulated Sonic 2 release in the Sega Smash Pack 2 compilation).

[​IMG]

Hopefully this or something similar is in the game as an alternate display method option. At least the multiplayer won't chug in framerate like Sonic 2 did, at least.

Only one week away...!

15. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
  16. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    My problem with the 1up jingle is that it's not a remix of the title theme. You know, the way Sonic 1, 2, 3, and Knuckles all were. Reusing the Sonic 3 jingle was one of my big beefs with Sonic 4 as well. Maybe I'm picking noses nits, but this is exactly the kind of little detail that matters to me.

Ah, well, at least it's not the Emerald Get jingle.

17. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Suddenly I just remembered his rendition of the Sonic CD credits theme and realized how badly I would want that to just be a useable track in the game. pls sego

18. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Of all the nits that were picked, no one saw that Special Stage ring (wire frame)? You. Will. Be. Able. To. Access. Special. Stages. In. 2p. Mode. Within. The. Level.

I assume, it forces both players in. Either that or it was an oversight since fixed from an earlier build.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Out of curiosity I compared this footage to one of the earliest GHZ builds we saw way back last year. There are actually a number of changes, including some layout changes, but I really like the graphical touches. They added some more waterfalls, made the spikes blend in with the grass rather than just pasting a set onto a slope like they were originally, and just overall gave it much more of a polish than what we saw almost a year ago.

Great job Mania team.

20. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    I'm pretty sure the wire frame means you can't enter it. That's how it's been in all the demos anyway.