don't click here

THE KEN PENDERS CHRONICLES: a man you Ken DePenders on

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The KKM, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Sirius-R

Sirius-R

basement cave under a rock
    whatever 3AngleTeam/3Angleware is up to atm (currently dead)
  2. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I dunno if he drew that panel, but he definitely wrote the issue. The only Knuckles relative he didn't make was Athair.

3. Misinko

Misinko

Bettering the world, one bugfix at a time! Member
    Cornland, USA
    Sonic 2 SMS Cleanup
    Penders did in fact draw this one. It was a mini-story for Knux published in issue 36.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You know, I wonder what exactly Edmund is swearing on there. The Knuckles clan seemed to be a pretty scientific-based community, and no hints of religion really peak through in these issues, so why would they need the equivalent of a Bible to take an oath on. Maybe it's symbolic? A tie to the past? A real-world reference? I dunno.

4. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    "I swear to never be controlled by a writer who knows what they're doing"

5. Well, Aurora was a thing back then. Maybe a holy book for her religion? :v

6. Dr. Corndog

Dr. Corndog

One of the characters actually quotes the Bible (the book of Proverbs, in fact) at some point early on. I think it was the last issue of the original Knuckles mini-series. So, Ken might have just been letting the real world bleed into his comics.

7. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    I'm shocked by the fact that this 1996-ish Knuckles looks leagues better than that horrifying Sonic he drew some time ago.

8. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    I was thinking the same thing. At what point did he stop drawing the character's arms and legs on-model and decide to start giving them actual muscle tone? More importantly, why the fuck did he decide that was even a good idea in the first place?

Looking at these early pages, and then looking at what Ken's doing now, it just seems like he wanted to turn everyone into muscle-gorillas. In a few more years Lara-Su and Not-Knuckles will resemble the Pillar-Men from JoJo.

(there may or may not be a JoJo-Pender's edit in the near future from myself...)

9. Misinko

Misinko

Bettering the world, one bugfix at a time! Member
    Cornland, USA
    Sonic 2 SMS Cleanup
    Potentially, but at the same time, Ken needs to understand the significance of these events and why they're practiced before just tossing them into his book. In a society that doesn't seem to subscribe to any religion, even/especially one based on early Southern American tribes, swearing in on a holy text doesn't really make a whole lotta sense. I could see something like this happening for the Ancient Walkers, seeing as their entire shtick revolves around being these spiritual beings who appear to worship the Chaos Emeralds. But even then I'd doubt they'd have a holy text to swear in on.

10. Dr. Corndog

Dr. Corndog

Right. It's definitely an inconsistency in Ken's mythos. This was early enough that I wouldn't be surprised if his ideas for that story were in their infancy, though. Even so, having an Echidna quote the Bible comes across as a break of the fourth wall, and that wasn't the intent.

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Don't forget this is a man who shoved in a quotation about the Holocaust into a story about anthropomorphic animals. He's not what you'd call deep, more thinks-he-is.

12. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Pretty much this. People who remember the comic being deep are incorrectly attributing the work of Karl Bollers to Penders. Credit where credit is due, the main plot of issues 88-101 balanced a darker narrative without going grim-dark for the sake of it, which Penders had no involvement with.

13. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    We really shouldn't take this too seriously, but Mobius was a Post Apocalyptic Earth and the Echidnas were the first advanced race. It isn't a stretch to think that some human artifacts remained, especially considering how much of early Echidna society resembles that of humanity.

14. https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/904848887873134592

Why is he asking this, given he has zero input at current over the Sonic comics? Is he planning on attempting to muscle in on the IDW comic? That's the last thing that should happen.

15. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TRY AGAIN KID PENDERS.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I mean, if the alternative is Star Trek Knuckles The Bible, then yes, I'll take a comic based off just the games.

I'd like to think a unique world can be built though without it turning into that.

17. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It's cute in a way that Penders thinks he's even vaguely relevant any more.

18. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    I wasn't aware of this. Which issue was that in?

19. Not gonna lie, had to hunt for this. It's in Knuckles the Echidna #22 (Because of course it is.)

20. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

Oh yeah totally. I think there's a brilliant way out there to do an expanded Sonic world that isn't embarrassing or just some sort of alternate premise that ignores the game backstory.
    Personally I just love how Penders presents his point as "You either pick my writing, or have no writing!!", as if Ian Flynn's work (or hell, any decent Sonic fiction that tries to resemble the game lore to a degree) doesn't exist to him.

Edit: Also, whoever @HapticPanda is on twitter, thanks for replying to him with my above post. I would never dare poke that beehive myself ;) I'm 99% sure Penders won't even understand what Mega Drive is and miss the point completely but ah well.