don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Nothing yet I don't think, but bear in mind there will be discrepancies between regions and platforms. For example, I think games usually hit the Switch's eShop at around 5 PM BST.

Anyway, regarding the new/old level ratio:

It's important to remember that TaxStealth initially pitched Mania (or "Sonic Discovery", as it was at the time) to Iizuka as a smaller, more humble game with the existing remasters packaged in. Despite all the flak people like to give Iizuka (though I'm not saying none of it's justified), it's important to remember that his suggestion to remix older Zones has likely ended up making the game much longer than it would've been otherwise, especially if we're not limited to one remixed Zone per classic game here. So while the raw value for money *may* be worse when considering the volume of the content alone (though it's impossible to say, really), we ultimately get more new content than we would've otherwise, and that's what counts here.

On Special Stages:

Mixed feelings so far, but mostly very positive. To me, the character control looks slippery, though I'm sure it'll feel a lot better when actually playing. I like that they're drawing more from Chaotix rather than S1/S3 where just happening to make one wrong move will cost you the stage, but I hope that falling off the stage only gives you a time penalty rather than ending the stage. The models look nice, though, Sonic's Mach 1/2 animation is kind of weird to me. Oh, and what happens if they fill the bar at Mach 3? Will we reach MACHSIMUM SPEED? :specialed:

Anyway, absolutely cannot wait to play this. It feels like so long ago when Mania was revealed last year but the wait is almost over. I have every confidence that this game will be a hit and I hope that prompts SEGA to greenlight a true Classic Sonic subseries headed by TaxStealth and co.

Good luck for launch, team!

2. See, that's why I personally don't think this is a bad thing at all. I was disappointed about it upon reveal, but my entire opinion changed once I discovered that they're practically completely new zones anyway, in terms of layouts. Also, assuming this game sells really well, it's possible that a sequel would be 100% new content.

Like a lot of people here, I've played 1,2,CD, and 3&K a million times each, yet I feel like Mania will still feel perfectly fresh enough.

3. Pigeon

Pigeon

Nothing really
    You've already had one answer already, but I'm pretty sure Taxman stated that Dinput controllers (which is what the Mayflash adapters are) are compatible with Mania. They even use the Mayflash Saturn adapters during testing, so the Mega Drive/Genesis ones should definitely work too. I've had my Mega Drive controller adapter since Christmas in anticipation of this game!

4. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    That was a really stupid comment. NTSC televisions are already 60hz, that problem has been solved for at least 75 years now.
    I don't even need to go into the number of ways that's dealt with, because they don't need to do any conversion at this point if they're just showing the animation we'll get in-game. They can just capture it directly in-game from whatever hardware they normally use to capture the promotional videos.

5. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I think Sonic Mania 2 is more of a "when" as opposed to an "if". Mania 1 seems destined to be a smashing success given the glowing previews and widespread positive hype and buzz it's generating. People are super excited for it everywhere and it's already a critical darling in the previews without even having been released yet. I think if Sonic 4 Episode 1 can sell well enough to greenlight an Episode 2, which it did, then Mania will almost certainly do well enough to secure a sequel or two.

Best case scenario is it surpasses Sega's expectations and this shocks them enough to give Taxman and Stealth a shot at another game, which as to echo everyone else hopefully comes with more creative freedom, such as a greater ratio of new content or even all-new content completely. Sonic Team (was it Iizuka specifically?) said that they're unsure how well Mania will do and be received, but its fate will help determine the direction of Sonic moving forward, so to me that all but confirms Mania 2 since the first game is destined to do well.

It'll be interesting keeping an eye on the reviews as they come out, and also sales figures which should drop in the first month or so too.

August 15 can't come soon enough. I'd also like to know about the specific release time on Steam, so hopefully someone can come through with an answer on that one.

6. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I'm not sure if this was posted yet, but GameSpot has a video showing some additional footage not shown on the Sega released video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXcOFlb-264

Editing this just so I don't double post, but I think I finally understand what they meant when they said the stages are real places that have aged and changed since Sonic was last in them, specifically in regards to Stardust Speedway. What has been shown off so far looks the same as SSZ did in the past, but what if that is just a result of destroying the robot generators? Time has likely caught up, resulting in everything having aged forward from that timeline. Even the music has queues taken from the Good Future JP track. I expect the stage to be an amalgamation of the Past, Present, and Good Futrues, though its just a theory.

7. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    The problem with this argument is that Iizuka's decision for turning down the Sonic Discovery pitch was made on the basis of there being enough ports of the original games, rather than on the basis of not enough content for the new game. Which makes his subsequent Mania pitch almost entirely counter-intuitive in itself. You don't want to release more ports of the original games, so your replacement idea is to...make a game that mostly comprised of content from the original games (even given they are noticeably modified from the originals)?

You can see this conflicting approach also trickle down into the game's marketing, which has mostly focused on showcasing the game's returning levels, so they can keep the smaller ratio of new levels in the game under wraps (and doing so in a drip-feeding manner). The result has been genuine confusion by people not following the game on whether Mania is a game that had new content to offer or a game only comprised of nostalgia levels; as well as (mild) disappointment from people who are following the game, wishing that Mania didn't rely so much on having old levels. All things considered, this is a very awkward direction to go from my point of view.

Because, you know, you're making it sound like Iizuka's Mania pitch of a lion's share of remixed levels + new levels was their best option, if not their only one. I can understand the merit of giving classic fans something different other than ports (especially since, [we] classic fans have asked for a new classic Sonic product), but how you approach this? If you're interested in giving people something different, do you think a new game with the same levels they've played before is the answer? Especially if you're making these levels such a large focus of the game; in both content and advertising? (To say nothing of the previous classic Sonic sequel attempt, that was criticized for being filled to the brim of rehashed content for what was marketed as a sequel?) That is a very strange design and marketing strategy.

On another note, I will also add that Sonic Discovery was being pitched at a time when the Nintendo-exclusive Sonic partnership was a bust, Sonic Team's Lost World was a disappointment, and SoA's attempts with allowing other developers work with Sonic via the Boom games turned out to be a complete fiasco. All the while Taxman and Stealth had already showcased their skills with the existing remakes / remasters of the original games, along with their preceding unofficial projects. I'll admit upfront that we can't always get the best-case scenario for certain situations; but I'd argue at that point, Sonic Team/Iizuka really didn't have anything to lose by allowing SoA and Taxman/Stealth/PWG to cut loose with a new Sonic game by that point.

Not everything has to be a Sophie's Choice, or "lesser of two evils" scenario.

8. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    I feel like the old levels being so prominent was because of this technically being an Anniversary title. Kinda makes me wonder if Mania would have been any different if it was made, say, 2 years from now.

Nonetheless, I look forward to revisiting Zones that aren't Green Hill or Chemical Plant (Though I'm not dreading those two given how kickass the Act 2's are). I like to hope them letting GH and CP out of the bag so early is like them saying "Okay, these are back again, just so you know", so that we can get some genuine treats with the other Zones.

9. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
  10. Turbohog

Turbohog

Iizuka gets no credit from me. I'm confident that the game would be better off without him. Every game is a damn anniversary game with him.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya all like, what 3 of those over the years? Calm down.

12. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    This was a good read with some cool shout outs to notable members, including Sonic Retro as a whole.

I'd urge everyone to read it. The writer actually knows his shit and it's an article with well-meaning and positive intentions.

13. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Best part about that article is how the comments section immediately leads with this one dude pretending Super Mario World is a better game, and then a bunch of other dudes came in and respectfully, firmly and incontrovertibly corrected his shit.

Mania is righting history. 23 years later, this fresh perspective is going to shine a light in all the cracks brand loyalty and market dominance no longer occupy.

14. Sirius-R

Sirius-R

basement cave under a rock
    whatever 3AngleTeam/3Angleware is up to atm (currently dead)
    (32X Mania cover is ~85% done)

Speaking of anniversary games...
    I took a listen to what's available of Mania's soundtrack.

This is the part of the game that takes the "celebration" part way too literally. Whatever isn't a remaster/remix gives me strong "anniversary game" vibes.

Like come on, original tracks scream "mellow party" so much. If I'd judge the game solely by the soundtrack. I'd say that it heavily implies that the source of energy Sonic and Eggman are after in this game is really a birthday party for Sonic.
    Studiopolis feels like the worst offender in this regard, but considering the nature of this zone, it's fitting enough, so I'll lift my complaints on it. I'll also lift this complaint for Special and Bonus stages, as their music tended to be upbeat in general (except for S1 Special Stages' music, which I personally like a lot for that - its "otherworldly" feel is well-fitting). But these are the only two lifts I'll do so far. The "anniversary party" vibe in remaining original themes feels really unnecessary.
    Theme of Hit-Heavy Boilers Hard-Boiled Heavies though is the worst offender in terms of context. It barely sounds like a theme fitting for a boss of classic games; classic games' boss themes, unlike this particular theme, have their share of menacing vibe. But this theme feels like the maximum I should expect from Boilers Heavies is a friendly brawl rather than the actual figh. Pretty much the same goes for the boss fight theme. 3party5battle, happy birthday Sonic.
    On the other hand, I'd like to compliment remasters and remixes. They actually sound magnificent. Out of all the remixes I've heard so far, my personal favorite is GHZ (oh the irony) Act 2 theme, even though it also contains the dreadful anniversary party cues.

I also perfectly understand those who dislike Sonic's animation at the title screen. As much as it's really nice and smooth, it also is really redundantly over-the-top. But that's more onto the nitpicking category.

p.s.: What Blue Ring monitors do? Combine multiple rings into large ones when you lose them?

15. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Okay, I think people here are taking my comments a bit more harshly than even I meant them to be.

I'm not saying the Mania team hasn't handled the recycled zones, or even recycled layouts well, frankly... they have done exemplary work so far. If you're going to re-use acts 1 and 2 and build them into a new level, both Green Hill Act 1 and Chemical Plant Act 1 do a good job of this, and are far, far larger than they appear. (Much of the underlevel of CP1 is entirely new area, which I am both relieved to see and excited to explore). This is the team that fit brand new Tails and Knuckles pathways into Sonic 1 and 2 that never even existed before with the out layouts, utilizing literally every bit of empty map space available to them. I found every one of those routes and was very impressed by how well they fit and how clever they were. Act 2s are also looking nearly 100% new (classic Green hill 3 is in a bit of Act 2 if you haven't seen, but 90% of it is new otherwise), and both the new visuals are layouts are very, very well done.

My main issue is that doing so will hold back the game from surpassing what I arguably believe is one of the best 2D games of all time (S3&K). The fact that I can even compare the two at this stage is very, very high praise for the mania team. Frankly, I'm surprised they've done as well as they have so far even given their past experience on titles like Megamix.

It's a flaw, but it's entirely solvable the next time 'round. And I hope there is one because of that. I just want 6 zones of new uninterrupted completely original 2D sonic bliss. But if I have to compromise and accept some recycling but get double the zones because of it? Fine. I'll take it. 7 old 5 new would be good with me.

Beyond that? Mania is top notch stuff, and I need it to sell like gangbusters and review well. I'm much more concerned about another completely undeserved bad metacritic score (as I'd argue SA2B got back in the day vs the DC original) and passionate but ultimately niche like sales than I am the final product being anything but good.

16. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    That's just, like, your opinion, man.

17. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Next you're going to try telling me that I breathe oxygen

18. RGX

RGX

Animator Member
    US
    Just a shame I had to comment at all because of that.

The article for the most part was a nice insight on the community.

19. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    It was a bit more than that. Thinking Super Mario World as the better game than Sonic 1-3 would be one thing, that could had been a matter of personal preference.

That dude however went the extra mile of revisionist history bait and claimed the original Sonic titles were inherently inferior to the Mario titles of the era even back then: "[It] still irks me that so many people remember the Mario vs Sonic rivalry as a battle of equals, the quality was so one-sided."

All things said, I'm in full agreement with you that it was awesome to see people coming in to politely tell him off that what he's saying is hot garbage.

20. Sirius-R

Sirius-R

basement cave under a rock
    whatever 3AngleTeam/3Angleware is up to atm (currently dead)
    > when people say Mario games were superior to Sonic games
    [​IMG]

Like, no, they absolutely weren't. Probably a matter of personal preference, but Sonic games were much, much more catchy.