don't click here

MegaMan The Wily Wars

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by RetroKoH, May 18, 2012.

1. dsrb

dsrb

>people no likey
    Oh, so the only game in the franchise I've played having been distinctly underwhelming does not rule out a future of romance between myself and Mega Man. Great!

2. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    Eeyup. Because it's English (not that I'd need it). I liked the speed in the NES games because I could fight fast and get the job done. Here, not so much. So everything needs to slow down to accomadate. Or something.

And don't worry about having a romance with Mega Man games. Just play the original X, and you'll be in love. Your dick shall be rock hard.

3. Skaarg

Skaarg

It's still slow on NTSC. It was just sloppy coding by Capcom sadly. =(

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I've just tried again the NTSC version and the PAL version in NTSC mode and turns out that, while the enemies and projectiles seem to be a little slower than in the NES version, Mega Man moves as fast as he used to. Also, some enemy behavior seems to vary sligthly.

Kind of odd, it's easy to compare in Snake Man's level.

5. bookman the stinky

bookman the stinky

literal trash Member
    the dong
    find motivation
    Hurt me plenty for necroposting, but I didn't wanna start a new thread for this.
    I just picked up a repro cart yesterday so I can finally play this on original hardware...now I remember why I had to use a plethora of save states when I played it on an emulator. Some of these boss fights require completely different strategies since they can't be hit for a few seconds after you attack them and that makes the fights insanely frustrating (I'm looking at you, WoodMan)
    The slowdown isn't TOO much of a problem, it actually makes the yellow devil fight a hell of a lot easier although I swear the thunder beam travels slower in this game, but it can ruin a good flow of timing. I'd just love to see the boss invulnerability time cut down drastically, and I'd be glad to deal with all the slowdown in the world as long as I don't shit my pants in anticipation for the next opening to attack.

6. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    I remember playing this on Sega channel. It was fucked up and you couldn't save in any of the games. I never understood why the Sega Channel version had that bug, or even if it happened for anybody else.

I didn't have an NES until much later, so this was my first introduction to Megaman Classic. I personally liked the game.

7. MisterSparkly

MisterSparkly

Seeing as how SEGA Channel broadcast the data into the console by way of coaxial cable, there wouldn't be anything to save the data onto.
    No dedicated cart for each game, no battery backup, no saving my dude.

8. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    True, but IIRC even RAM saving didn't work on the Sega Channel didn't work. In Sonic 3 on Sega Channel your saves would remain until you went back to the main Sega Channel parts.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Well, that sounds like a really dumb oversight.

10. Hukos

Hukos

My personal opinion is that the ports of 1 and 2 are really bad, but... I really like the port of 3. Like, really like it a lot. Top spin is actually the most powerful weapon in the game now!

#controversialopinion but I consider the port of MM3 in Wily Wars to be the definitive version of Megaman 3 - even if the ports of 1 and 2 are really bad.

11. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    Yeah it's really weird how the quality of each port rises with each game. Sound quality, graphics, performance, etc. Kinda gives off the vibe they started with 3 and then worked their way backwards with whatever space they had left.

12. Kushami

Kushami

Oldbie
    I actually wanted to ask:

If you own the European cart, and play it on a US system... does it play normally like the Japanese version? Reading online, it sounds like the game wasn't fixed for 50hz, so it just runs slower? Is that correct? So if you drop it into a 60hz system, will it run at normal speed and match the Japanese (or I guess Sega Channel) version?

(I'm guessing 3 revs exist: Japanese, European, and Sega Channel ? Are the last two different in any manner?)

Just curious what I should play if I want to try it.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    The whole thing just plays slower on PAL systems, which includes the music playing slower than its PAL NES counterparts.

Everything's fine once you bypass the region lock on an NTSC system.

14. Artemis Davar

Artemis Davar

Wily wars is the definitive way to play the original trilogy in my opinion. The slow down is only a result of PAL systems, it's not the games fault. Even then, a lot of people seem to forget that the originals had slow down and screen flickering, which is even worse. The physics are a bit different and might take some getting used to, but they aren't that bad.

Oh my god the graphics and sound are amazing. Megaman III's intro sounds awesome with the Genesis sound chip. The themes in general fit the environments better.