don't click here

Sonic Time Twisted Released ~ 1.1.2 Released ... unofficial Xbox, PS4 Releases... Now on Switch!

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Overbound, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Mega Spit

Mega Spit

Very nice, Overbound! I've just gotten around to really playing this all the way through and I'm enjoying it so far. I've ran into a few bugs, but they were pretty minor and unfortunately I didn't think to write them down.

I'm really admiring the polish on this thing, especially graphically. Everything looks great, super smooth. It really pushes the boundaries of anything I've seen in GM before. I don't think I've actually ever seen a completed game of this size made in GM before, to be honest.

At the moment, I'm stuck on the boss fight with metal sonic where you have to keep jumping along with the moving platforms. I burned through my six lives on it, so I'll give it another go later.

It's great seeing something from the old SFGHQ days in finished form. It's a weird feeling, honestly!

2. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

Finally got the chance to play this. I'm not good enough yet to get the best ending, but this has been a fun challenge! A great successor to Sonic CD and everyone involved should pat themselves on the back. :)

3. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I finally got my hands on a copy and this is by far one of THE BEST fangames I've ever played. It's well balanced with gradual difficulty, without being too easy or providing cheap frustrating deaths. This is the ultimate time travel mechanic as you have more control over when and where you want to travel. The replay value is out of this world too. I'm playing this as I'm awaiting the release of Sonic Mania and this is getting me right back into the fold as I honestly haven't sat down and played a Sonic game since Sonic 4 episode 2, while being a refreshing Genesis/Mega Drive style classic game play that we know and love. In all honestly, it's more authentic and true to the limitations of the Genesis/32X/Saturn than even Mania. Not that there is anything wrong with Mania's take as I appreciate a modern take on the classic world, as there SHOULD be improvements over the predecessors in gimmicks, graphics, and performance. This is a great warm up for me for August 15th. I've done a complete play through with Sonic so far. Of course I didn't get all Chaos Emeralds and Time Stones in one swoop, but I have gone back to collect and have two of each left before I truly "finish" his playthrough. Then I have Knuckles and Tails to tackle. There was only one part in which I thought the difficulty was a little unfair and that was the boss (I forget the level) that had the lightening bug and the lights "going out" to black. I think it's a bit unfair to the player to not be able to see the screen and know where the player is, relative to the danger. I eventually beat it, but it bothered me more than the mis-timed jumps in the special stages leading to falling through the floor on the vary edge of platforms. I think my version is dealing with the joypad problem that slows down the game input 10% (special stage seems unaffected) as I've seen youtube videos that show motion relatively identical to the original trilogy. It doesn't bother me much as I've been able to time things right with most of the boss fights. One thing that I've learned over the years is that exploration is everything and I'm using STT to become better at it for Mania as when I was younger, I would blast through levels without giving it a second thought. This is the one thing I've noticed now that was severely lacking in Sonic 2 compared to 1 and 3K.

Lastly, it's really cool hearing this version of my Metal Sonic theme in the game and seeing GameXplain showcase it as well. Happy I was able to put my two cents in along with the talented Hinchy and other composers. I have the soundtrack on my phone and have been listing to it non-stop! It is very reminiscent of Sonic CD US, but no where near as bland and much more melodic of a soundscape.

SPOILER ALERT: I would have to say that + - Planetary Planet's breakaway lava filled floors and falling meteorites   were absolutely amazing and shows an expansion of depth when compared to the Lava Reef Zone boss. It was unexpected and impressive.

Wonderful job done by the whole team! Yes, it was MANY years in the making, but as far as I'm concerned it's a polished product. I can't wait to get back to it!

4. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    I just spent half the day playing this and beat the game 100% using Sonic. My wife thought it looked really fun. The hardest part was some of the special stages. You know you did the special stages right of they frustrate the hell out of you but are still possible to complete.

If this existed when we were kids and somebody told me it was a real Sonic game by Sega, I would have believed them. The only part that looked more like it had to be a fan original than what Sega might have done is the look of the final boss and the presentation of the good ending. It was cool though and the whole game is a masterpiece. I didn't even run into any Sonic 3 style glitches like getting stuck in any walls. Good job and I am looking forward to playing again as Tails and as Knuckles.

5. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    Glad to see you guys enjoying the game Game Collector, XCubed and MegaSpit. It really encourages me to keep going with my next game. : )

I do want to mention that later this year I will releasing the source of the game on GitHub. A lot of people have been asking about Mac (Mac is come for sure), Linux and Android ports or various other features they'd like to see added. I don't have time to do it all but I figure if I release the source people can add features they want themselves or at least the source might help them make their own fan games. The source suffers from some spaghetti code in places but will hopefully still prove very useful. Anyway it will still be a few months before I do this but I thought I'd let you guys know since the game is being talked about again.

Also Lewis from SegaDriven.com was cool enough to make this neat TT review which I have posted below.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG_KHhfYWL8

6. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    So I'm super late on this - but I finally had a few spare hours tonight so fired up the game. It's fucking brilliant. Potentially the best Sonic fangame ever and up there with Sonic Axiom as one of the best games to ever come out of the Sonic fangaming scene. I was impressed almost immediately - really loving the graphics, design and music (your OST is fucking fantastic) to Attraction Attack. You can tell there's so much care, love and attention poured in to this game and it shines through. It's an amazing, super enjoyable experience on par with Sonic Team's games. I went back and forth thinking it might even be better than Sonic CD in so many ways - the time travel being improved to start with.

The OST really does deserve praise. Just a fantastic soundtrack that made the game so much more enjoyable. I loved so much about the game and to be honest have very little that's negative to say. I reached the boss of Planetary Panic and lost around seven lives trying to beat it - then decided to take a break. I'd say this one's the only boss I have an issue with - the other ones were challenging but ultimately fair. Your graphics are amazing, the soundtrack is beautiful and your engine and level design are both top notch. Your gimmicks, the new shields, the overall design and astounding graphics - everything's just really clever and creative. It's just a really well-made and fantastically produced game. It's on par if not better than Sonic Axiom, which at the time I thought was the best fangame ever made but I think Time Twisted might surpass it.

So well done Overbound. You produced one of the best fangames of all time and I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. Excellent, excellent work.

7. Codr

Codr

Cyprus
    Huge secret ;)
    This fan game is honestly one of the best I have played! Congratulations! Honestly the game is in the ranks of the genesis games. Can't wait to complete it.

8. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    Thank you both. Its really great to here you placing the game along side the Genesis games. While I don't think its quite as good for many reasons, I really hoped that some fans would place the game along side the classes. Apparently I have succeeded and I am very grateful to the community for their acceptance of the game.

In other news, I've gotten several comments mentioning that the Time Twisted special stages seemed similar to Mania. Unless they made the Special Stages after March its probably just a coincidence though, being based off the same games. But I will still take the opportunity to show off some Special Stage Beta Footage as they went through a lot of changes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abIkQSeiJlA

9. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    When going through my old files to look for Triple Fang, I noticed I downloaded a lot of other Sonic fan games too. All this stuff was from back in 2008 or 2009 when I was fairly new to this website. I noticed that there was an early demo for Sonic Time Twisted even way back then. It goes to show that you had worked on this game for quite a long time. Almost 10 years at least. I don't even remember what level was in the first demo. I'll have to load it up and see how much it differs from the final product.

10. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    I certainly don't think anyone copy anyone here, this is just the case of independent individuals taking inspiration from the same source.

11. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Not to bash anybody's creativity, but I think this style of special stage is extremely common. I have a similar one in Classic 2, that keeps morphing. Its almost like the natural progression is basically close to Mania's.

12. winterhell

winterhell

To me it looks inspired by CD's and perhaps Chaotix's special stages.

13. logandoggo

logandoggo

This game is like the love child of Sonic CD and Sonic 3. The art and music gives off a funky Sonic CD vibe, and the whole time travel mechanic is really nice too. I always liked it in Sonic CD so to see a fan game use it is awesome.
    The level design, as well as the sprites and a few other things reminds me of Sonic 3 too.
    Good job, guys.

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Yea, it's not a big deal. Sonic CD's special stages kinda have a few different ways you can play with the formula for slightly different challenges. I've always been partial to Sonic Advance 2's special stage though, with an imaginary version of Sonic Heroes' special stages that aren't broken fucks being a close second.

15. I'm having trouble getting the game to launch on my laptop. It loaded and ran fine when I tested on my desktop, but I tend to use my laptop for fangames. I checked the DirectX installer, and it said that I have the indicated version or newer.

I don't get any particular error, just a generic windows one.

http://imgur.com/a/7NMT7

Am I doing something thickheaded?

Both computers are Win10. My laptop has 16GB RAM so I doubt that its a memory issue.

(What I saw when testing it on my desktop looked great though!! Very nice pixel work, controls felt good so far too.)

16. Arcaden

Arcaden

Sonic AMV: Boss - Big Arms
    You've really done a fantastic job with this fangame, Overbound. It's been awhile since I played it but I don't remember encountering many bugs and the whole experience was really great. I love that you incorporated the CD style time travelling but made it much easier to time travel, I always hated keeping speed up long enough to time travel in Sonic CD to the point where I didn't even bother doing it. I know personally that it can be hard to dedicate yourself to one project and actually finish it so congratulations for completing the project and making it so enjoyable!

17. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I've posted some lengthy impressions but just to reiterate this is one of the best Sonic fangames of all-time. Thousands of hours of love and work.

Everyone check it out if you're yet to play it. It's in the upper echelon of Sonic fangames along with Sonic Axiom, Sonic ATS, Sonic XG and so on. Game is awesome.

18. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    I have 100% completed the game with all three characters now. I thought Sonic was the easiest to use and Knuckles was the hardest to use due to his limited jump height. It made the final boss a real pain for him. It wasn't impossible though so I recommend him for players seeking more of a challenge. He is able to get stuck in places in walls if he climbs up the wrong ones. Tails flies up very high very fast if you press two jump buttons at once from a standing position. Oh and I found a cool easter egg using Tails in the last level. It is hidden in a wall with a 1up. Try flying into walls when you can and you might stumble upon it.

One thing I do wish would have happened was the Special stage rings would respawn in all places after completing the game like they do in Sonic 3. I don't know if getting them all and still not succeeding makes them all reappear or what triggers that. So if you find the special stages difficult you should wait until you stock up on plenty of lives before using up the big rings because I don't know if there is any way to make them come back.

Even after trying Sonic Mania, I applaud this game for using all original zones instead of reusing old ones. In Mania I think the re-used levels are cool from the gradual transition to new sections of the zones, but I feel that if it ever gets a sequel hopefully it will have a higher percentage of new zones or be completely made of new zones.

Graphically, Sonic Time Twisted is closer to Sonic CD while Sonic Mania looks like a newer generation game.

Sonic Time Twisted does not run smoothly on my 1GHz laptop with Radeon HD Graphics and 4GB RAM, but it works well on my other one with 2.70GHz, Radeon HD Graphics and 6GB RAM. The alternate gamepad method does work with a Logitech gamepad, but it won't allow mapping to the buttons where start and select would normally go so I use space bar to start/pause my game and use the game pad for everything else.

19. Whimsicott

Whimsicott

While I find the plot to be rather dark for the normally lighthearted Classic Sonic, the gameplay is fantastic and I loved the blend of mechanics between Sonic CD and Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I do wish there was more of a purpose for the time travel mechanic (even though there are different gimmicks for past and present), but it was still well implemented and fun to play around with. Finally, the zone ideas are all original and the colors are very vibrant. I LOVED Viridian Valley's aesthetics, both past and present especially, and their level gimmicks were basic but very fun. Then again, even the scrapped zones from older versions were intriguing, Deport Drive and its industrial park feel especially.

Overall, wonderful experience the whole way through

20. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Just played this and I feel the game has a lot of Edges to trim design and sound-wise, but it feels really original. Frigid Fortress song, for example. is like a Mania-level composition for me! The rest are really catchy but they're really badly mixed for my taste (seriously, why apply a harsh compression on the drums?).