don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Azurite

Azurite

In a bush
    Ripping everything from every version of Sonic 4
    I really do hope this game isn't a complete letdown. I mean, You guys are really hyped for this right? I'd be lying if i said i wasn't, But what if it turns out like Sonic Boom?

2. Felik

Felik

Dude, c'mon.

3. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    Looking at every vids and (extremely) positive previews we've got since last year, what do you think could go wrong exactly?

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    U wot m8?

Ok, fair enough this series has a track record for being all over the place, so cautiously optimistic is normally a very reasonable approach to anything Sonic related. But this is being made by a team of passionate people with a proven track record, and everything we've seen/played and all the previews so far all point toward this being an absolute gem. When the worst things we have to complain about are Knuckles' shade of red and the plumbing in Flying Battery, I think it's safe to say that this game is going to make any Classic Sonic fan happy.

5. Falk

Falk

if all else fails we can just fall back on arguing about a bunch of tree sprites in green hill or something

6. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    It's not made by Sonic Team. Isn't that enough guarantee? :P

7. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

The only way they could possibly mess it up is if halfway through the game it stops everything and makes you play mean bean machine.

8. Considering a puyo-puyo minigame is almost definitely in Mania based on a couple of comments we've seen on YouTube (at least one of which was deleted), the chances of playing Mean Bean Machine seem high.

Any word on if the collector's edition will ship early? I want my code in time to play on the 15th; since the code won't work until the release date, they can pretty much ship them whenever...

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sonic Boom RoL wasn't made by Sonic Team either.

I get what you mean but that's not exactly a sound argument :specialed:

10. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie

Hopefully with Amazon and 1 day shipping they'll send mine out on the 14th and I'll get it either same day or first thing on the 15th.

11. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
  12. Jendt

Jendt

If this is true, here's to hoping that Mania includes a variety of mini-games or other kinds of extra content. Since the team seems so dedicated to paying homage to the series as a whole, it seems like a missed opportunity to not include some fun extra content like this!

13. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    It's a boss that contains that gimmick, not a minigame per-se.

14. Sonic 4.

As for the Puyo Puyo mini-game/boss/whatever, I hope it's possible to get by without having to be any good at the game, because I really really suck at it! I never played Mean Bean Machine because I never cared for things just because they were related to Sonic, but I used to have my ass kicked by a friend when playing Kirby's Avalanche at his house.

15. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Dude. Dude.

Sonic Boom was created by an unproven, Z-list studio on the cheap whilst Mania has serious talent behind it and Sega actually seem to give a damn about this one - and that's just to start with. I'd say Taxman's Egg Garden prototype from like, over a decade ago is proof enough alone that he along with Stealth can produce a fucking awesome game. Everything about Sonic Boom looked like a catastrophe from day one whilst Mania has just looked better and better - the first game in forever that could even come close to Sonic 3K in terms of quality.

Your post is entirely unfounded. Mania is going to be fucking amazing. We know the names behind it and know what they're capable of and we've seen entire playthroughs of several zones which is enough to discern that the game is going to be seriously fucking good at the bare minimum. We've seen the new zones, we've seen the remixed zones. It's going to be a sales success and I wouldn't be surprised to see it scoring 90+ on Metacritic. We have zero to worry about.

Just over a month to go.

16. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
  17. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    I FAIL TO SEE THE PROBLEM HERE :colbert:

18. I'm gutted that panel won't be live streamed. I just hope whatever details are mentioned are live tweeted or what not asap. What a line up though!

19. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    You do know that Sega of America spent Millions of dollars on Rise of Lyric, and Big Red Button was hyped up at the time because it was founded by ex-Naughty Dog devs, and before they had to port a f*cking CryEngine game to the WiiU it didn't look bad at all...

Meanwhile, there's a dozen people working on Mania. Almost half of the game's assets are from previous games, just with some slight alterations (now the Green Hill Zone trees have a couple different pixels!) to justify calling it "new". It runs on an already existing engine. I can't imagine the budget for Mania being much higher than that of Sonic 4, which is basically THE budget version of 2D Sonic.

Your comparision is entirely unfounded. Mania will be good, but there is nothing new or groundbreaking about it, and for many people - especially here on Sonic Retro - that's enough. I wouldn't be surprised if the usual review sites will let the same "amazing" journalists that called the Wonderboy remake "outdated" review Mania.

20. Falk

Falk

look i was joking when i said we should revert to commenting about a bunch of tree sprites in green hill zone