don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. runde

runde

Using Plan "B"... Member
    Deep in the gut of Texas
    What was I was supposed to do again?
    Yep it's pretty much the conclusion that was conjured a while ago. I agree he has to delete that. He's too good of an artist to be caught up in that kind of legal quagmire.

I feel for Rafa about the job situation... I am in the same boat as him.

2. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Rafa_Knight

Pretty sure Rafa is female, BTW.

3. Turbohog

Turbohog

Wasn't sure with the name Rafa. Hopefully she can forgive me

4. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    I doubt she really knows anything. even the likes of Tracey Yardley and Ian Flynn don't know anything, so I'm assuming shes just going by internet comments. its hard to say really.

I'm sure she will clarify later today about it.

5. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

English is Rafa's second language y'all. Just be aware that you're taking words literally that might not be meant to be taken that way.

6. runde

runde

Using Plan "B"... Member
    Deep in the gut of Texas
    What was I was supposed to do again?
    Mea Culpa! That's not the first time I've mistaken someone, and it won't be the last either.

In all honesty, I would understand the logic behind the decisions for the comic if it were to be either continued, rebooted or cancelled. The thing is, the longer the wait, the less momentum, audience and attention will be paid to the comic. By then, you might as well start from scratch.

7. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

Same. This long of a hiatus with no word is doing no one any favors for the product. Living without closure is just misery.

8. What was the last issue to have come out, and when? What a shame they have amazing momentum, selling many copies of Megadrive and then it's just up in the air for months like this.

9. Tylinos

Tylinos

Sonic #290 and Universe #94, both in January.

10. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    Kinda forgot to mention this here.

Ian was at the Colorado Comic Con last week so I of course stopped by for a visit. Asked him the obvious question, and he said the official word was "Sega and Archie are still discussing things". Though with everything else that's been said, I really don't know WHAT to believe.

At least I got a neat Super Sonic print signed by him. Framing that shit for when I head to college for creative writing for entertainment this August. Do it for him.

Got a little preview of Drogune and I'm pretty interested in it. His Skies of Arcadia love is as transparent as ever!

11. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    It seems to me like either one is tenacious and clawing at the other to go one way or the other with the other resisting or both are twiddling their thumbs and this talk of "talking" is just their way of quietly ignoring the situation without getting anything done about it.

12. Retroman

Retroman

My feeling says there's a creativity drought, along with some discussion on the future of the comic and how the new Sega wants Sonic to be portrayed.

It seems that it's likely creative freedom will be limited to what's canon by Sega. But this is all speculation of course.

13. Burezu

Burezu

Butt. Member
    Kyushu, JP
    linktr.ee/IHMTTY
    The only reason I feel like there could be a creativity drought is simply because they had a story and plan until Penders caused the genesis wave to ruin the continuity. I'm sure there was a contingency lined up, but when you work that hard on a story just to throw it away, it's gotta kill some of it.

But with the whole, "how the new Sega wants Sonic to be portrayed," and "It seems that it's likely creative freedom will be limited to what's canon by Sega," I thought that was all common knowledge.

14. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Will be at SDCC next week. Will see if I can get any info from the Archie booth. Beating a dead horse but I guess we need to continue to let them know interest is still there?

15. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Archie can cancel this for all I care. But just release Sonic Mega Drive: Overdrive. I just want that story finished and they can cancel it. I'll be happy with that.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Seriously, and I've said this before but I'll keep saying it, just release Mega Drive: Overdrive and their Sonic 3K adaption and then cancel it. They were so damn close to an almost series completion, and they just said fuck it hiatus. Actually, saying fuck it hiatus would have been actually saying something, as opposed to their current approach of saying nothing at all.

Like it this was the fate of the comic the soft reboot should have never happened. If it was to be cancelled they should have just let Ian get to #300 and then they could have pulled the plug. Then they could have saved a full reboot for a new publisher. Gotta give Ian credit though. The Sonic comic was handled horribly for years by both Archie and Sega, and he did his best despite being given a bum hand to play with. He had to make the comic make sense after years of nonsense and outdated American canon (seemingly 8000 chaos emeralds floating around the universe for example, also just everything regarding Evil Sonic), then after doing that for years a litany of lawsuits forced him to completely change what he had on the fly, but was then just told to sorta reboot the whole thing, cancelling whatever buildup he had (to be fair though, Mecha Sally was starting to be a bit drawn out after 25+ issues of that). Then he had to Segaify all the remaining old characters, build a new world, and then... cancelled. What a shame

17. The Finitevus backstory and Knuckles Enerjak alternate ending stories Ian wrote will always live on in my heart. RIP

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That should have been how the series ended :v:

19. Something tells me that a slightly more adult story about Knucklejak teleporting Super Sonic into the sun and basically genociding 99% of Mobius' population at Finitevus' behest wouldn't have gone over well with the editors. :v

20. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    That said, they did approve the Silver Arc which pretty much had alternate-universe Knucklejak turning the whole of Mobius into a post-apocalyptic wasteland after draining the souls of nearly everyone and leaving them withered husks...