don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    It's been awhile since I've played through any of the other boost games but I don't remember any of them being particularly short on rings at any point.

2. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The idea behind the ring loss system being scrapped in Forces is because they've finally gotten rid of lives, and still want to give the player some kind of penalty. I believe that Hedgehog custom characters are able to collect scattered rings as their special ability.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Did they actually get rid of lives or did they do so for the E3 build? I'm all for them scrapping lives though, they've been useless for years.

4. What? That's like, one of the defining characteristics of Sonic for me, and one of the most important machanics in the classic games that made them fun to play. Are they gonna strip everything out of the gameplay until only speed and acrobatics are left?

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It is kinda funny though. They keep going back and forth on certain mechanics and can't ever make up their mind. Sometimes Sonic has a double jump, sometimes he doesn't. Sometimes he can drift whenever sometimes he can't. Sometimes he can pick up lost rings sometimes he can't. Sometimes he loses all of his rings sometimes he doesn't. Like why can't they solidify these mechanics?

6. Nothing in the series ever talks about the Little Planet's origins either. Why? Because it isn't necessary in the first place. It's a video game. The story of this particular one was never intended to be super explanatory about every single possible detail and to complain about it not being that is an example of pointless whining. None of this mattered in the Classic games; there was hardly any overarching plot for them.

You said it yourself: the Zeti can manipulate electronics, which allows them to take control of Eggman's army. Does there need to be an explanation for how Tails flies, how Knuckles glides, how Blaze has control over fire, etc? Of course not. Next, if you were paying attention, then you would have noticed that Tails pretended to be brainwashed by the Deadly Six so that he could attack them while having the element of surprise. It would be improtant to show Sonic that he is still alright. At the end of the game, he reverses the effects of Eggman's machine, showing that Sonic didn't need to work with Dr. Eggman after all.

Why are you complaining about the Wisps being there? In Sonic Colors, they weren't held only on their home planet; They were held in four others, too. How is it so unbelievable that they could decide to visit other planets on their own? More importantly, of all of the things that you unnecesarily whine about, why are you complaining about animals appearing in the Lost Hex? The small animals have appeared in several other games and even planets, yet now you decide to complain?

Why are you pretending to care so much about the story when it's obvious that you're only complaining about it not being just like the Adventure games' story? That's all that your main arguments amounts to. As I said before, stories don't need to be serious all of the time and the Sonic Fanbase didn't actually want more stories like that.

You shouldn't really use the Adventure Fields for your argument. They've appeared only in Sonic Adventure, Sonic 06, and Sonic Unleased. Also, a substantial amount of people in the fanbase would rather be without them. Many of the other games' stories work just fine without Adventure Fields and they didn't need them for a sense of cohesion in their stories. You prove my point that your arguments amounts to complaining about this not being like the Adventure games. You want a serious plot with a lot of lore. I would prefer the same, too. Even though it's fine to be disappointed that the recent stories are not like those, you shouldn't complain about how a story that neither intended to be super serious nor have a bunch of lore is not being either of those things and subsequently deem it to be bad.

The double jump has generally been more versatile for platforming than the regular air dash was. It last appeared in Sonic Lost World and it was very useful there. I'm not sure what you're trying to mean. If Sonic Team is trying to refine their gameplay mechanics, then small changes like those might have been necessary. It's strange to criticize them for reportedly not solidifying their mechanics while also wanting them to improve their existing gameplay. You can't eat a cake yet want to possess it afterwards.

7. SuperSonicRider

SuperSonicRider

Well to be fair about the ring loss thing: in Sonic Colors, Lost World, and Forces, Sonic lost all his rings after being hit. In Sonic Unleashed and Generations he lost fractions of the amount, but had a somewhat lengthy "get-up" animation. So maybe it's like a dev team/gameplay engine thing? Taking into account the double jump, that's also been consistent across Unleashed-Generations and Colors-Lost World-Forces. The only thing you mentioned that's not consistent with this pattern is the ability to collect scattered rings, which was not in Unleashed, reinstated in Colors through Lost World, but seems to be dropped again for Forces. The only reason I can imagine why is to emphasize the ability of the cat custom character to keep one ring after being hit and the hedgehog character to...collect rings after being damaged...but...Sonic doesn't seem to have that "ability"? :v: OK yeah you're right it's kinda silly

One small thing I noticed that I wanted to mention is that Sonic and the custom character don't transition to their falling animation if they run off a ledge, which also happens in Lost World, which is interesting because that's not really a "Modern" thing.

8. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    I'm fairly sure I've seen the player pick up rings as Classic Sonic after getting hit, but I might just be misremembering things.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm not saying I have any problems with these mechanics necessarily, I'm just wondering why they change their minds each game.

10. RikohZX

RikohZX

Because it's Sonic Team, and no matter how 'safe' or 'risky' they may try to play things, they refuse to have any idea of consolidation that keeps things consistent.

11. Felik

Felik

I'm pretty sure that drift was possible only in some areas in colors due to wii controller not having enough buttons.
    Dunno about the rest.

12. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    Really, dude? I presented my arguments and all you're gonna do is accuse me of complaining and whining? That I'm just too stuck to how things were done before that I can't be open to something new? Okay, Fun fact. I actually quite dislike Adventure. I don't care much for it. If anything I would want them to ignore any and all aspects present from the adventure games, especially since I feel some of the modern titles have more solid and interesting ideas to pull from, which I've stated several times in this thread in particular. However, you specifically brought older games up as a talking point, and I rebutted by doing the same. Am I complaining, nitpicking, and giving Sonic Team more flack than they really deserve? Probably, but that's from a place of passion for the series. When you constantly get thrown things that severely shatter your expectations, you cannot be expected to give Sonic Team a break. This whole time rather than rebutting my points you've accused me of being a whiner and having some sort of avid hatred for the developers. Yet you consistently praise their efforts. You give them credit for doing things that are not only generally disliked, but are technically flawed in several ways. And this is exemplified here:

I'm sorry, but no. This is an incorrect statement. Improving any previously existing concepts to their fullest potential, requires that those concepts be solidified. How can you be expected to improve your game's mechanics when you keep throwing them to the wayside. Would you then claim they are improving the boost, a mechanic which could be used at any time and any place, by now only allowing you to use it in qte's, or in segments where you run in straight lines? No, because that's not an improvement, that's a downgrade. To try and argue that people are bargaining for too much by asking a professional development team to try and improve mechanics, which they themselves establish, rather than just throwing in new shit and tossing out everything else, is a horribly naive claim. You've either grossly overestimated people's intent and desires, or you are trying way too hard to give Sonic Team the benefit of the doubt when they deserve very little.

13. SuperSonicRider

SuperSonicRider

Really really good run of Modern Sonic's level, the player also gets all of the Red Star Rings:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CbRyCGNU3A
    Sonic doesn't seem to lose as much momentum in the air when jumping, especially compared to Colors. Oh, and watching this reminded me of a couple of other carryovers from Lost World - the fact that there's a "grind fall" animation and the homing attack reticle sound.

14. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    But that sadly confirms the level is linear as hell. They guy barely deviated from the main path and got all of them.

15. Stimil Rc.

Stimil Rc.

I already saw the entire act, so I don't know why I was expecting any new paths when I read "all of the Red Star Rings" and "S-Rank". Really hoping for a second Modern act.

Regarding the double jump, I think something like the roll jump from the Donkey Kong Country games would be more fitting for Sonic if he must have a mid-air jump. The Kongs can do a single mid-air jump after rolling of a ledge, effectively sacrificing height for greater forward distance.

As it is now, it seems like an excuse to either give Sonic a really ineffective default jump or space platforms so far apart that a normal jump doesn't cut it.

16. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

I wonder if this first act is kind of like a tutorial level like the one at the start of Sonic Unleashed, but without the guide markers? That or the moment you meet Shadow is where they cut the level off for the demo but maybe it continues in the final game? Not that I expect this to be the case.

17. synchronizer

synchronizer

We designed excuses for the short levels in Colors as well.

18. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    I'll hold my opinion until we see more levels, as I've mentioned before everyone was bitching about GHZ Modern in Generations being linear as hell and then we got the rest of the game.

One thing I just noticed that I really like is that Sonic no longer loses speed while ball jumping.

19. The linear nature was obvious from the first reveal. Boost in a straight line, homing attack chains. You know, for a fandom that complains a lot about automation, boost itself is pretty automated. Sonic's speed isn't much faster when he boosts either :v

20. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    So Shun Nakamura said on Twitter that dialogue from one particular character was cut out of the E3 demo, because spoilers...

...maybe Shadow?