don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I've been watching some videos, and I don't quite know the answer to this, but what exactly is the drop dash? I mean when one is performed, is it just doing a tier 1 spindash? Or is it adding that boost of speed on top of their current momentum? Because if it is the latter then that could add a lot to speed running the game.

2. I don't know if it's always the same change in horizontal velocity, or if vertical velocity has an effect at all, but the speed at which you drop dash is dependent on how fast you're going. If you drop dash in the opposite direction to the way you're moving, you'll be going slower than if you'd done it standing still. If you drop dash in the direction you're already moving at speed, you'll be going faster.

3. Stimil Rc.

Stimil Rc.

Unless 10 being released too soon after 9 contributed to the series' current state, I'm glad it was released as soon as it was. 10 is my favorite classic game and one my favorites in the entire series. Shame Inti decided to make the Gunvolt games so different from the Mega Man games they worked on.

4. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    Here is a recent gameplay with heavy Drop Dash use. The move appears to boost your actual speed, so if you're already going fast, you'll go even faster.

5. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Those cow udder looking flowers creeped me out as a kid. I'm not sure how I'd feel about seeing those with more frames of animation haha! (do it anyway)

6. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    It's so nice to know that other people thought they looked like cow udders too. I thought I was the only one!
    What was the deal with those flowers anyway?

7. Not that I'd really consider doing this- I'm just curious- but if you were a Mac user and wanted to play Mania off of Steam, I wonder if it would be possible to partition your disk and run Windows off the Mac in order to download and play that way? Mania isn't exactly what you'd call graphics intensive compared to current gen titles, so I can't imagine the native hardware would be too much of an issue, right?

Seems like a bona fide work-around to me. MANIA CONFIRMED FOR MAC! :specialed:

8. synchronizer

synchronizer

That already exists. It's called Bootcamp or "do it your own way."

What do you mean by this? Running an operating system on a separate partition isn't emulation. You're already using your own hardware.

9. Yeah, I know this. What I meant is that PCs are naturally superior to Macs when it comes to gaming, either due to how customizable they are or because it's just easier to code for them. So, assuming there wouldn't be a hitch in downloading Mania, these inherent limitations of the Mac shouldn't be a problem because it doesn't need to bear the load of running a GTA V or a Witcher 3. It could easily handle Mania.

10. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    No, it's not "easier" to code for Windows than it is to code for Mac OS X. Yes, "PCs" are more customizable, but then you run into numerous conflicts with different configurations and drivers acting up, plus Windows 10 deciding it knows better than you and replacing the drivers with something that doesn't work.

Source: Me, writing software for multiple platforms including Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, and various embedded OSes.

(Sidenote: All Macs released since the switch to Intel in 2006 are quite literally the same hardware architecture as "PCs". The only difference is the operating system. Saying Macs are somehow completely different hardware than a "PC" is misleading.)

11. ^Well shit I'm not gonna argue with that

12. Stimil Rc.

Stimil Rc.

Windows is "superior" for gaming because almost every PC game is developed for it. Short of having another PC for gaming, OSX and Linux users can get around this with WINE (assuming the game is supported and runs well)*, virtual machines, and dual booting. Dual booting is probably the simplest of the options.

*From what extremely little research I did, whether or not a game runs well in WINE seems to be largely dependent of whether or not it's 3D and, if it is, whether it's using Microsoft's DirectX or OpenGL. Mania probably wouldn't have any trouble running.
    Wait, what the hell? I'm surprised I'm just hearing of this. One more reason not to upgrade.

13. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    It's a fairly common issue.
    • https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_devices/windows-10-keeps-reinstalling-the-wrong-driver/c7512ca3-186e-41db-a2e5-1ed96ca9c8d5
    • https://www.onmsft.com/news/windows-10-how-blocking-automatic-reinstall-driver-or-update-windows-10
    • https://betanews.com/2015/07/26/windows-10s-automatic-updates-for-nvidia-drivers-could-break-your-computer/
    These are from 2015, but I don't think much has changed since then. Supposedly there are ways to stop it (see the second link), but MS can revert it (and I think they have) at any time.

14. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    So what's everyone's plan on launch? Going with consoles or Steam? Had my mind made up that I'd be going with Steam and my overpriced Logitech gamepad that I've been recently using and is pretty good (overpriced, but an excellent dpad) though now I'm thinking maybe buying Mania for PS4/Xbox One instead, given I have quite the massive television. Can't really decide. Guess it depends on the money situation since a current gen console would be costly. Everyone else?

15. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I preordered the game on PC and Xbox One. I'll use The Xbox One version to play the vanilla game, and I'll use PC version to play with mods (inb4 it's revealed you can't mod sonic mania and I bought the game twice for nothing )
    But seriously, I really hope it's easy to mod Sonic Mania. Can you imagine it replacing Sonic 1 as the main game to make hacks on ? I know it's a bit silly, but I can dream, hey ?

16. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I'm sure I won't be able to wait, so I'll play on whatever platform manages to launch the digital game at midnight. My "primary" version, and the one I'd like to play first, will be via Steam, with a Sega Saturn USB pad. But I'll also definitely be picking up the Switch version, and the portability means I may well end up playing it more.

17. Flygon

Flygon

I've got the Switch version pre-ordered, but I still have no idea if that's a real thing or not still. :v:

18. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    Switch, without a doubt. It's the only portable platform!

19. Pigeon

Pigeon

Nothing really
    Using one of my trial posts (I really don't post here often :P ) to say my launch plans are Steam (got the game pre-ordered as soon as it went up) so I can play with the Mega Drive pad (with the Mayflash adapter), and Switch for both portable and TV screen playing (don't have a PS4 or Xbox One)

20. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I was going to get a Switch for this and Forces, but now I am not sure. The Switch version of Mania is being handled by a secondary team, so I am worried it might not get the same level of updates (Just like console versions of Sonic CD didn't get all the updates). And then early reports are saying that Forces on the Switch is considerably weaker than the other versions.

I might just go for Steam using bootcamp on my Mac. (I know Switch has lots of other great exclusives, but I also know that I probably won't get time to play them). Oh well, there's still time to decide...