don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    And on a related note, can we try and get back on topic? Discussions about LCD and CRT refresh rates (amongst other things) are fascinating but not Sonic Mania. =P

2. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Nah. There wouldn't be any new classic Sonic project whatsoever (whether it be a port, remake/remaster, original game, or whatever) had SoA and Whitehead not approached him about it first. He gets credit for coming up with the concept of Mania, but he wasn't actually seeking out to get a new classic Sonic project made. (Compare to Miyamoto and Tanabe deciding to make a sidescroller Mario game that returned to its original principles, Miyamoto later approaching Kensuke Tanabe about making a new Donkey Kong Country, or Michael Ancel deciding to use the UbiArt Framework engine to make a 2D Rayman game.) This is especially true given how Mania has been billed as a SoA (co-)production rather than a Sonic Team (co-)production, and how Iizuka and co. have largely left PWG/Stealth/Taxman to their own devices outside of a supervisory role (not unlike Boom, actually).

[​IMG]

3. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    I love what it's grown into! We a are really lucky to be able to celebrate the freedom of direction for the team. I know you guys were always wanting to do more in the sense of enhancing current zones and creating new ones. I think the more cohesive setup, especially with a story to go along with it, provides for a more solid product. I honestly had no interest in the previous remasters outside of Sonic CD as I owned several versions of Sonic 1 and 2. But this, this is something different. This is something more. This is something I hope keeps happening. I know certain levels can only be redone so many times, but the jumping point to a while new world starts here. It's honestly something I don't think we will ever get tired of. Maybe this may end up as a one off project as I'm sure you guys want to eventually work on other things, other projects to expand your repertoire. We will drag you back through the Retro Sonic Garden kicking and screaming...but it's all out of love and appreciation.

4. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    So Iizuka is to blame for the reused stages? Good, now I know who to project my rage at.

Kidding, I'm grateful he recognized your potential and hope the sales success really opens his eyes to how big demand for this type of game still is. Not to mention the more I see of the classic stages, the more impressive your takes on them truly are.

Keep up the good work, and thank you as always for keeping communications open with us. I hope you get to do this stuff (willingly) for a long time.

5. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Thank you for the insight! Fascinating stuff. We all appreciate that you (and the rest of Team Mania) are naturally rather busy at the moment! I'm so looking forward to playing Mania when it's released!

The original idea of a new modest 2d game and the remasters would still have been pretty rad! It's great that it's ended up becoming an even more exciting project!

Only 8 weeks until release date. Can't wait!

6. Heard about the discounts on the Sonic Mania Collectors Editions, I would say that 46 bucks for the PC version is pretty nice...

But, am I seeing it right? There is no PC version available on Europe-based Amazon? Whyyy?

7. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    I laughed because I've known them personally 4evr so they're just regla people to me, cuzz. Welcome to Sonic Besties Unlimited.

8. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Fingers crossed on something like this still being on the table!

9. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I'd get a Switch to play the remasters again <3

I got an Ouya for it and don't regret it :D

10. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    Wait discounts on Amazon? I've just looked at my PS4 order and it's still £79.99 or is it PC only?

EDIT: I just ordered the collectors edition from Amazon US. It'll take up to 2 weeks to arrive but I with the slow dispatch instead of paying £79.99, I paid £49 instead. Chances are I'll buy a UK digital copy from the PS store so I can play it on release, which will leave me a spare US code.

11. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    Seconded. I want the Sonic 1 & 2 remasters on PC!

12. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    I want a Sonic 3&K Remaster, and honestly I don't even care anymore if the entire original soundtrack is dropped, just make it easy to add custom tracks so the players can fix that themselves :V

13. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

It would be perfect if the Sonic 3 Complete guy was involved too.

14. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    AFAIK, you just have to replace the OGG files inside the Data.rdsk and there's a packer/unpacker already available. But then, they would have to admit there's a legal problem concerning the soundtrack. And if they did that, the people would have more material to sue them.

15. serpx

serpx

I still have tears watching the original announcement trailer for this game.

I'm disappointed that it seems like Hyper Sonic may not be in the game, or any future games (there's an article floating around somewhere talking about Hyper Sonic being a one time thing potentially, unless I misread it). Plz bring em back.

16. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    You know. Every time I have a bad day, I watch this live reaction video from the first announcement. From 5:17 onwards, it's the most beautifully heartwarming video I've ever seen. I can't decide which one is the best part:

1. The "To discover what made Sonic a gaming icon" moment (IS IT A CLASSIC GAME? IS IT A CLASSIC GAME?!?).
    2. The moment everyone LITERALLY FREAK OUT at the Christian Whitehead splash screen (Tax, dude, you should feel SO PROUD at just causing that reaction on fans).
    3. The moment the game is revealed to be a 2D Sonic game with the Studiopolis footage.
    4. The moment everyone FREAK OUT EVEN MORE with Knuckles.
    5. And the glorious title screen animation.
    Every bit is fantastic and heartwarming. The last trailer has its own magic, too, mostly because of the animation and the music from Hyper Potions.

August 15 is gonna be a wonderful day.

17. Felik

Felik

The moment everyone got super excited when SA1 and 2 footage started playing was also pretty heartwarming.

18. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    They should re-release Sonic 1 & 2 on PC and consoles with all new remixed soundtracks. The music takes sound motifs from the original but revamps them into all new music.

Then when it comes to Sonic 3, having new music for the problem stages wouldn't be admitting anything, as they re-did all the music for Sonic 1 & 2 (so the new music is a "feature" of the reamsters).

19. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Also, since Tails requires the Super Emeralds to become Super, maybe he could just summon one Super Flicky when he gets the regular Chaos Emeralds, as a consolation prize. =P

Could be more fun than playing as regular Super Tails, even.

20. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    The deal with Hyper Sonic, Super Tails, Super Emeralds is interesting.

In the past Iizuka said they weren't part of the story anymore. But in a recent interview, he started talking about a Classic World and a Modern World. Things he previously dismissed like Mighty and Super Emeralds are now said to be part of the Classic World. So who knows, we could see them return.