don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    >Nintendo centric fansite
    >Bad at Sonic games

Par for the course then.

2. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Still doesn't look as crisp as 1080p TVs.

Even PC CRTs look bad compared to LCDs.

3. synchronizer

synchronizer

Why wouldn't the Switch version not receive updates? Is development on the Switch really that bad?

4. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Because Tantalus would have to be hired to apply the fixes.

5. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Is there a reason Sega doesn't go back to BlitWorks?

6. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    All of this is completely wrong.

7. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Unless you present arguments you're just being biased.

How this:

[​IMG]

Is better than this:

[​IMG]

The unique thing I don't like about cheap LCDs is the terrible ghosting that looks like an RF artifact in motion, but that's only noticeable, again, on cheap LCDs.

8. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    2D graphics were made with CRTs in mind for the longest time. If Sonic Mania is true to their word about being mid 90's Saturn-era 32-bit graphics, then an optimal CRT display should make it look nice and clean with scanlines, as you would have expected from a high end monitor in the 1990's.

9. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

I was just gonna play it on my laptop and switch screens.
    Clearly I'm too much of a peasant to understand what the problem is with just using any old screen.

10. Dr. Corndog

Dr. Corndog

Glorious HD for me. But I am curious how it looks on a CRT.

11. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    Regarding all the pixel stuff, one YouTube channel uploaded a video of Sonic Mania gameplay manipulated in such a way that pixels don't show as blurry, and its size is 1:1. The end result is more crisp than all official gameplay videos: Link here.

I am, nevertheless, also curious to see this running with a CRT monitor.

12. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    ...how is that picture in any way supporting your argument? An off screen photo of the subpixel scatter doesnt prove anything

Regardless, there is absolutely no reason a crt cant be as sharp as an lcd, and lcds have enormous trade offs like poor black levels, subject to light bleed, etc. Lcds will never, ever look as good as a crt, objectively.

13. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    AMOLED or GTFO

14. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    How about this?

[​IMG]

15. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Try reading Dead Rising 1 text on a CRT. I needed an RGB scart just to make it even half legible.

16. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    And if you played the same game on an LCD using composite video, you'd have the same legibility issues.

A CRT with RGB input can produce just as good an image as an equivalent LCD. (or better, in some cases - see 240p)

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    A CRT display is not going to give you the super clear picture you might expect from a modern high definition monitor. If anything, they were designed for the opposite - to smooth out the picture to reduce noise from analogue transmissions. Whether the difference is noticeable with crappy composite signals is a different story. And mileage will vary depending on the model and age.

What a CRT does do, however, is provide much lower latency between controller inputs and on-screen action. They're apparently required for a game like Battletoads on the NES, but from my experience, it's not such an issue with Sonic. Trying to land, duck and do a spindash quickly is more likely to fail because the engine can't keep up, not the monitor.

But as it's been said many times before, Sonic graphics were designed with composite signals in mind and so do all sorts of tricks to simulate extra colours and transparency and the like. Moving pillars in Marble Zone, Aquatic Ruin waterfalls, etc.

18. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Totally going to take that as a joke as I had nothing but CRTs until 2011. I'm not looking to hinder my experience is all. My point was that they've always made their best attempt at pushing the boundaries. I'm just not up for hindering quality at the sake of nostalgia. That's what the in-game CRT option is for.

EDIT: Nevermind! That RGB is beautiful!!! But still liking my HD LCD/LED better. I'm most likely going to play in my home office through HDMI from laptop to computer, but will also hook it up to my living room LED for better surround sound. I'm just happy I can use my laptop for this, consoles be damned.

This is what I saw: http://modretro.com/xen/index.php?threads/add-rgb-to-that-old-crt.12889/

19. Dee Liteyears

Dee Liteyears

deep in the past
    Spriting and hardly getting shit done
    with my PVM I can count the pixels of my Famicom games on screen, even via composite.
    On the other hand I have the feeling that RGB is way too crisp on my regular CRT TV. Sonic Next Level for example shows just a bunch of stripes this way, while with composite it produces the orgy of transperency effects that's intended.

I still refer to CRTs as "proper screens" *g

20. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    That arrangement is also not really well aligned so it's really uneasy on the eyes for crispness. It does help with 'blending colors' but you can blend colors on 1080p with filters too :P

I really hate non-square pixel grids, I even returned a Phone after I saw the PenTile screen. Really ugly-looking :P