don't click here

SADX/SA1 Hacking/Modding

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MainMemory, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Turbohog

Turbohog

I don't know why nobody did this before. This honestly makes the game looks so much better to me. The upgrades are seriously ugly in this game. Great work MainMemory!

2. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    BLESS. Fantastic work as always MainMemory!

3. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    New version of the mod, allows you to configure which models you want to have disabled.

+ - Now I just have to do the same in SA2.  

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Good work. Amy's new hammer and E-102's Booster are pretty non invasive (and E-102 looks kinda odd hovering without the booster), so I like that those can be turned back on.

5. docfuture

docfuture

Is there any kind of step by step guide on how you would create a mod for the cutscene text/npc text with the Steam version? Are there any existing mods with edited text that I could work with?

6. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    1. Use splitSADX.bat to split all the data from sonic.exe
    2. Load sonic_data.ini in SADXTweaker2 to edit the text, and use the message file editor to edit the MES files in the system folder
    3. Use StructConverter to export INI data to your mod's folder, and copy the edited MES files to the mod's system folder
    4. Create a mod.ini file with Name, Author, and Description fields, and add EXEData=generatedfile.ini

And for the record, none of the existing tools support the Steam version (well, except for like, texture editors). The only way to create or use mods is to use the BetterSADX installer, which replaces the Steam version with the 2004 version.

7. docfuture

docfuture

When I try use SADXtweaker2 on the file, the NPC Message Editor gives me an unhandled exception error. It's the only editor window I can't open

[​IMG]

I'm using the sonic exe from BetterSADX, etc and it split just fine

8. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Are you sure you have the most recent build of SA Tools? The date should be about 5/15/2017. If you do, please click the Report button and copy what it says in the log.

9. docfuture

docfuture

I used a newer version and it works perfectly. Thanks so much for your help!

I take it the hub world NPC dialogue from the uh...human citizens is not editable yet unless I'm missing something?

10. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    That's in the MES files (eg system\SS_MES_S_E.BIN for Sonic's Station Square in English) I mentioned, use the Message File Editor to edit them.

11. docfuture

docfuture

I guess I'm splitting the wrong file or "nothing" then because the message file editor doesn't have any options for me. As long as the sonic.exe is in the folder as splitsadx.bat it should create a "system" folder in the same folder, with all the other new folders right? And if it doesn't then I theoretically have the wrong file? Guess I'll try and install BetterSADX one more time.

12. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    The system folder is part of the game's data, you're meant to move the tools into the SADX folder, not move sonic.exe into the tools folder.

13. docfuture

docfuture

I think I've almost got it. What do I do if I edit a file in sadxtweaker2 and load the same ini file in structconverter but it says it has not been modified/changed

14. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    You are using sonic_data.ini, right? It should be able to detect which files are modified by comparing against the MD5 hash calculated by split when generating the files. If it's failing for some reason, I guess you can just manually check the items you want.

15. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    So I did a thing, and I'm sorry.

https://github.com/MainMemory/bigdress/releases/tag/vWhy

16. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    What a time to be alive

17. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    My one and only question is "What took you so long?".

18. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Because it wasn't until a few days ago that FTCR's Sonic Crackers LP went up, which included footage of my Sonic in a dress mod, which prompted me to comment that it would fit the channel better if it was Big in a dress, to which the person who recorded the footage agreed and suggested that I should do it, and, well, here we are.

It's not like I'm going out of my way to make these kinds of mods, outside of the first one (Tails) they've both been suggested by other people (although I did kind of bring this one on myself).

Also, since I neglected to mention it before, Shilz helped with fitting the dress to Big's frame, and I imported the model and made the mod.

19. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I feel like such a noob, but how do I commit the changes done with SADXTweaker2? I tried editing some cutscene dialogue and saving, but all the program updated was the .txt files in the Cutscene Text folder.

20. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL