don't click here

Noob question about building levels

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by IcePak, Sep 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IcePak

IcePak

When building a level in Sonic 2, how can I change the properties of the level or ROM so that I can use the entire space to build my level, rather than the limiting predefined space for the levels that are already in place?

As an example, the default EHZ limits you from using space underneath the pre-exisiting level, and when you play the level, if you go below a certain height you die. Or rather you fall off the screen. Is there a way to bypass this, and change it so I can use the entire space within a level?

2. Quickman

Quickman

be attitude for gains Tech Member
    :x
    omg porjcet
    If memory serves me correctly the bottom of the level is decided by the rasterised background scrolling.

Which reminds me: Thank you for a coherently worded easily read post. The grammar nazi in me thanks you.

3. Guifrog

Guifrog

...change the level size arrays...

4. Heran Bago

Heran Bago

Ah! It's Puyo battle then. Tech Member
    More info please. This interests me too.

5. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member

6. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    You can also use the level size array to make levels that wrap vertically or horizontally - I think by setting a boundary to $FFFF (correct me if I'm wrong).

7. Aurochs

Aurochs

Единый, могучий Советский Союз! Tech Member
    Whatever catches my fancy
    Nemesis actually said that the size should be $FF00 for Y-wrapping.

8. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Really? I could've sworn it invloved adding $8000 to the x/y value...

9. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    That leaves 7 bits of nothing. So if only one bit is used to wrap the level, and 8 bits are used for the level size, what's the use for those 7 bits left?

10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    My bad. I'm thinking of objects, and how you can choose whether or not they respawn after exiting the player area.

11. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    FF00 0800 will allow the level to wrap vertically, IIRC.

12. IcePak

IcePak

Thanks for the help.

I assume this is all done by editing the hex code in a hex editor. I've only briefly read a tutorial on editing hex, but it looks like I'm going to have to learn how to if I want to get the levels I've designed working.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.