don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. RikohZX

RikohZX

They've used Genesis samples for both this and the GHZ song Classic Sonic had in his stage before. It's at least a better song from what little we can hear than that.

2. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

I'd like to mention again how echidna-like Infinite's hair is.

3. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    And if they did it THAT way, Penders would probably throw a fit on them again. Plus I think Chronicles is pretty much considered non-canon at this point since it never had a proper conclusion.

4. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Penders? Sonic Chronicles featured lots of echidnas without mentioning the comics.

5. JigenD

JigenD

Has anyone noticed how Modern Sonic's running animation looks oddly stiff? With his quills almost stationary when he's running at full speed? It's no secret that I dislike the general idea behind this game, but not only does the gameplay itself seem to not attempt to redeem common issues we've had for the last decade or so (automation, narrow corridor levels, etc) but the animations look like a straight up downgrade from what we had in generations (in which they weren't exactly stellar to begin with) in my opinion. Still waiting for more footage to confirm this however.

6. Violet

Violet

Sweden
    Flicky Engine, Overdrive
    ^^
    It also seems like he has no idle animation.

7. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

IIRC there were a bunch of concepts that were in the comics first but slightly different, for example, it had the Twilight Cage, which is very similar to the Twilight Zone from the comics.

8. Sonikko

Sonikko

Bird Member
    Italy
    Modern Sonic does not look terrible, actually comparing that level to GHZ modern it looks like there's more going on overall. Classic is still pretty boring and I'm not there for the OC or its gameplay.
    Also, what's the point in having a weapon and all if the robots are one-hit kills? There's long rows of enemies which do literally nothing, so why is it a thing?

9. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    That new Modern Sonic footage showed off a lot of questionable stuff. Some of it is probably gonna get fixed up later, but it still looks pretty bad. Like how the quickstep doesn't have a blur effect, so the movement just looks stiff and weird. And the sound effect for it is a really weak swoosh. Or how Sonic seems to oddly shift into top speed in about 2 milliseconds after taking a couple of steps. The homing attack still targets shit that's completely out of your way, and Sonic gains a lot of wonky momentum from double jumping. In fact has the homing attack been given it's own button? What if I'd prefer to double jump away from an enemy instead of fly into it? Ignoring shit like the bland hud elements, level design, and gameplay, this just kind of looks meh so far.

10. Sonikko

Sonikko

Bird Member
    Italy
    Sonic behaves just like he did in Colours and it's no surprise since that was obvious from the first footage we got. All those issues you pointed out stem from that.
    Also Sonic's animation look very stiff overall, especially his running one. What's up with that?

11. JigenD

JigenD

I'm 100% positive that once this game releases, and people start digging inside its files, we will find many hints at a super convoluted development cycle (if the OC character body being eerily similar to Boom Sonic already doesn't confirm that). All in all, I expected much, much better out of 4+ years of development.

12. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I'm totally down with Chaos returning. 100% cool with Shadow being a villain again (whether or not he and the rest of the villains are being possessed).

But I hate the fact Zavok is back. Lost World was such a weird and half-baked experiment I would rather them have just cut their losses completely and moved on from it.

If anyone here has played the demo, can anyone articulate how Sonic feels movment-wise at low speeds? From the footage it seems as though he's a bit more responsive moving slowly than he has been in previous boost games, but it's hard to tell not having my hands on it.

13. Stimil Rc.

Stimil Rc.

Okay, I'm convinced: I'm going to love this game's story for all the wrong reasons. I have a really hard time imagining this playing out like anything other than a fanfic plot. Black Doom and Mephiles showing up somehow would make this all the more sweet.

I really do love the idea of multiple universes, especially a Classic/Mania Universe. As unlikely as this is, maybe it'll one day lead to another attempt to translate the Genesis era playstyles into 3D, except this time by the fans, and a new version of Modern Sonic that resembles his younger self a bit more.

Normally, I'm not one to complain about Modern Sonic having 2D (even if I'm not a biggest fan of the Unleashed styled 2D sections) since I don't think his brand of 2D is the same as Classic Sonic's, but the Avatar being essentially an exclusively 2D Colors Wii style Sonic without the boost makes me really hate seeing so much of Modern Sonic's Park Avenue be in 2D. I really hope Park Avenue isn't an indicator of what the rest of the game will be like for him.

14. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

I seem to have overlooked the fact that Infinite has too long and bushy of a tail to be an echidna. So much for Ken Penders Chronicles II: DeviantArt Edition.

15. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    That's not really justification though. Pretty sure people have said the double jump and wonky movement were things they wanted to be improved. And since everyone is so keen on pushing the 4 year dev time this game got, then why have they not spent a good chunk of it fixing up how Sonic works? That just goes to show that they either spread themselves too thin to even care about polishing Modern Sonic's mechanics, or those four years where all spent around other things like the Hedgehog Engine 2 and the new CaC system. The control and level design were big parts of why most even cared for Generations, and so far it looks like the white wisp might be the only ones Sonic uses, and the wisps were the very thing that carried Colors gameplay. All of this is just pretty poor so far. It looks like discount Colors/Generations, which is kind of inexcusable when we were promised more from Iizuka himself. I just don't get why some are content with that.

16. synchronizer

synchronizer

Wait, Sonic has the Colors double jump again?

Oh no...

17. RikohZX

RikohZX

From seeing all of Modern Sonic's stage that they kept cutting out from to try to hide the implications of the game's first boss for him, it's pretty clear the Modern stages seem to be short like Colors' variant packings too. Or at least it feels like that's the case, because where people were complaining that they were cutting out at the halfway point in previous E3 footage, in reality they stopped playing right before the end.

18. synchronizer

synchronizer

It appears that the game is learning all the wrong things from Colors then. I miss longer stages.

19. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    They're taking the wrong lessons from ALL the boost games.

20. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

I actually loved Colors (and my own fangame idea uses the Colors format but no wisps and a bit more 3D gameplay), but making the stages shorter than Colors is a mistake IMO. That's not gonna go well with people, and it'll be a joke to speedrunners.

I sped-run Tropical Resort Act 1 on a new playthrough in about two minutes. From the looks of Park Avenue Act 1 I think I could probably do it in under a minute, which is asinine for a 3D Sonic.