don't click here

Hirokazu Yasuhara revealing all kinds of Sonic development stuff

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 22, 2017.

1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-3avMBqJ9s

Here it is

EDIT:

[​IMG]

Was shown after the "Ancient Time" world map, Yasuhara says "and some big tsunamis come in and everything gone" in the talk.

Not gonna write down all the new details from this, y'all have to watch it for yourself to see that but there's interesting stuff here.

2. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I can't watch the video quite yet, but it appears the mountains in the Hill Top Zone background are actually from Blue Lake Zone?

3. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    [​IMG]

So it was water all along?

4. Montblanc

Montblanc

That new map matches the time travels to the past in the timeline picture. The two mountains on the right seems the two where the Death Egg is at the beginning and falls again.

5. Kat

Kat

Oldbie
    At work without headphones so I can't watch with audio, but the word that was cut out of the initial snapshots was "Shrine" - so "Sonic travels back to ancient time by activating Hidden Shrine". "Palace" and "shrine" can have similar meanings, so my bet is on this being Hidden Palace.

[​IMG]

6. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    could someone translate the Japanese on that document? I've been trying to follow the discoveries but I can't read Japanese and no one made an edit with the Japanese words translated on it.

7. Montblanc

Montblanc

So it's possible the time travel was still planned for the nick arcade?

Hill Top (Past)
    Emerald Hill (Present)
    Chemical Plant (Bad Future)
    Hidden Palace (Shrine)

8. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Posting this here cause it's relevant to what's being discussed here:

[​IMG]

Never before seen concept art for Sonic 2. Source is Waypoint's excerpt of the Cook & Becker Sonic art book: https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/sonic-the-hedgehog-was-almost-sonic-the-rabbit

9. Taylor

Taylor

Emerald Isle looks a lot like ARZ. I guess they kept the "Emerald" naming for quite a while. Scarlet Jungle meanwhile looks like a revised Wood Zone.

What's the bottom right zone supposed to be? I can't read the name at all...

10. Titan

Titan

UK
    I think it's 'Secret' Jungle rather than Scarlet. But yeah, I can't read the bottom right one either. Madness something?

11. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    That second word looks like "Mountain" to me, but I could be wrong.

12. BaconFace

BaconFace

DrTapeworm Member
    Incidentally enough, Madness Mountain is the only thing I've seen so far that fits a "medieval" setting despite all these mentions of a Medieval time period, what with that drawbridge platform and general castleness.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Can we get some concept art of Dust Hill please and end that debate once and for all :v:

14. Burrobot

Burrobot

That really helps a lot. I'm starting to get quite the 'Ecco' feel from the original plan for Sonic 2, bizzarely. What's more, I always thought the Hill Top background reminded me of Green Hill with clouds... I could totally see a palette-swapped background featuring water instead of clouds for the 'tsunami'd' rendition.

Not sure how I feel about revisiting the exact same zones with minor differences, though. It seems like the sort of concept that may have felt like game-padding, had it been released.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this already, but as well as the awesome new Sonic 2 concept art (Death Egg looks better than the 3K rendition, personally, shame it didn't make it the cut), the Waypoint excerpt also includes some Sonic 1 concept art which I don't think I've ever seen before. Could anyone confirm?

Edit: "Madness Mountain"? Sounds like something by H. P. Lovecraft.

Edit 2: I'm currently listening to the presentation and I heard Yasuhara refer to Olympus as a "shrine in the middle of the map". Thought that might be of import. I'll post anything else I hear of note as I listen along.

Edit 3: ... and that's all regarding Sonic from Mr. Yas. I really think it would be a good idea to have a well-known representative from Retro conduct a neutral interview with Yasuhara; he clearly seems quite open about sharing information, and now that we've got the presentation in full, we have a few new scraps to work with, too.

15. Kat

Kat

Oldbie
    FINALLY THE CONCEPT ART. SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW GUYS

16. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    Whoa. Yet another scrapped concept carried over to Sonic 3...

This is amazing.

18. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    wat
    that's Sonic 2
    you completely missed the point of that comparison

19. LukyHRE

LukyHRE

The only one who has a Portal-themed avatar Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bitching and complaining about my country -.-'
    No, that's not what I meant, sorry. The concept art shows an exterior area of Death Egg Zone. In Sonic 2, DEZ is a very short zone inside the Death Egg. While at the end of WFZ Sonic is TECHNICALLY in an exterior area of DEZ, a playable zone in space first appeared in Sonic & Knuckles* (I mistakenly said Sonic 3).

So that idea, originally planned for Sonic 2, was carried over to Sonic & Knuckles.

20. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Hang on - I don't trust that book. Although I do want scans (hint hint)

[​IMG]
    This is labeled as Sonic 1, but the sketches ion the right are clearly Sonic CD. We know this because some of them became (unused) animations in that game.

[​IMG]
    We have extremely blurry shots of these as part of Sonic 3's development:
    [​IMG]
    different colours!

EMERALD ISLE
    TROPICAL SUN
    DEATH EGG
    SECRET JUNGLE
    BLUE OCEAN
    MADNESS MMMMMHGFGhfvrgtyvhj

Are we sure it's Sonic 2? There's similarities to Angel Island, Hydrocity and in some ways, Launch Base.

[​IMG]
    p.s. this is wonderful.

is "ton ne ru" meant to be "tunnel"?