don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

I think I was pretty optimistic about this game's music, even after that classic green hill theme. This, however, is just bad. The lyrics really ruin it.
    IMO anyway.

2. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    This is really lousy. Where the hell is that power and energy from the Main Theme? It's just bland generic electronic music with an autotuned woman over it. I really hope this and Green Hill aren't what can be expected from the score, cause this game will lose some major points for me.

3. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

The lyrics crossed the line from cheesy to cringey for me. Good God this was awful and not in the good way, and the melody sounds like a Sonic R reject.

So Tomoya Ohtani has moved from composing Mario-reject music for Lost World to Sonic R reject music for Forces. He has clearly lost his touch.

4. /dev/sr0

/dev/sr0

That's what it is. Sure, Sonic games have had cheesy lyrics in their themes since Adventure and maybe even before that, but this song is on another level.

5. I agree with the "reject" sentiment, as I'm a huge fan of the R ost. This song is decent imo, but not up to the standard set by R. Ideally, this highlights the approach Ohtani is taking for the game, with it all being energetic electronic tunes.

6. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Are we really complaining about the lyrics

Is cheesy really always a bad thing

Are you seriously suggesting these lyrics are any cheesier than past Sonic games

What even are you people

I love this more than I can possibly describe

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I like the song enough, could do without the intro with the guy speaking. I think my biggest issue is that while the other lyric songs in Sonic have had something to do with the stage (well, some songs have a loose connection at best but still), this seems somewhat detached, but it could be argued that it goes along with the theme of the game. But other than that I think it's fine.

I mean I like Sonic R's music too but that's also cheesy and cringy. That just has nostalgia attached to it at this point. Same goes for Toot Toot Sonic Warrior, Sonic Boom, Live and Learn, Escape from the City, It Doesn't Matter, etc etc. Has anyone listened to My Sweet Passion lately btw? That song is fucking creepy, I'll take this any day.

But it's lyrical Sonic music. Embrace the cheese.

8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I like it. It's okay. Was expecting better from the gameplay footage honestly, but I'm enjoying this at least. The rest of the game is still vinegary blue balls though.

9. It's been awhile since we've had female vocalists on a Sonic Soundtrack. And for me, this is the only thing that's got me interested in Sonic Forces. I mean, fuck the classic stage soundtracks if GHZ is to go by, but otherwise, I'm on board with this soundtrack.

I like it more than the Mania Trailer musics. But that's because they are specifically that, trailer / hype music. This is a level song and I'm down for that.

10. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    I love the intro, it's absolute par for the course for Sonic lyrics.

Cheese is good, let us drown in that sweet, melty cheese~

This song is catchy as shit and I want moar ? ? ?_? ??

11. RikohZX

RikohZX

All three styles seem to have their own music type if this is anything to go by, since Modern Sonic still has a more traditional music style in his limited footage. So this will be interesting.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    ^I like that approach, it's similar to what they did in SA2 with each character having their own style music for the most part.
    It's less the lyrics and more I've always hated that kinda electronic spoken rap style. I like something I can sing to, I can't sing to that... well not in an enjoyable way.

13. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    ....eh, it's okay I guess? Not big on the melody or voices. Better than Classic Sonic's GHZ but that's not saying much. The theme song and music we heard for the Park Avenue Boost gameplay sounded vastly better IMO.

Really liked what we heard of the first two tracks but now I'm starting to have doubts on the game's music. Can't help but wonder if the music composition is going to be another one-man effort by Ohtani like Lost World was, because if that's the case the game might end up with another OST that's on the lower end of the Sonic soundtrack ladder. :/

14. Faseeh

Faseeh

It's not bad, but that's a disappointment considering I usually love most Sonic tracks. Then again, I didn't enjoy Runners or Lost World that much. I just want the other Sonic Team musicians back...

15. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    Au contraire good sir. Those songs are genuine knockout tunes. The lyrics are cheesy, but behind those lyrics are some really great songs. Energetic, powerful, fun, and catchy. Everything a Sonic song should be. And Sonic R allowed you to mute the vocals just so you could experience the tune without the fluff. Nostalgia driven they aren't. I could care less about the song having lyrics if it was half of what those others are. But it's just really lame. I could hear this being in literally anything other than Sonic. Ohtani had it down with the Main Theme. That kind of energy has been missing from the games for so long.

16. LowSeasCaroz

LowSeasCaroz

Hessia, Germany
    Desperately trying to make a Turrican clone
    Tomoya Ohtani is slowly turning into Richard Jaques... Yay?

If there's one Sega composer I really want to return for future Sonic games (and not just the Olympic games ffs Sega!) it's Kenichi Tokoi (Just look at the guy's Sega Retro entry!) . A soundtrack like Advance 3 or Sonic Battle, but with modern sound technology would be the perfect modern Sonic soundtrack.

This isn't bad really, but if this is gonna be the general quality of the QST, I don't see this topping Ohtani's compositions for Lost World (I really liked Lost World's soundtrack).

17. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Tokyo area in PSO2 has the same kind of music, haven't checked that game's music authors, but looks like they hired the same people for both.

I haven't really liked the OST in Sonic games since SA2 except for some selected tracks and reused themes (Sonic Generations, basically). This one is something acceptable to listen to while playing, but nothing deserving to be remembered. That's OK for me, as long as it doesn't interfere with the level's atmosphere and doesn't hurt my ears while listening to it.

18. Linkabel

Linkabel

Honestly if anyone needs to comeback and be in charge it's Fumie Kumatani. Just because she did E-102's theme, Crazy Robo, Going Down?! and all of Shadow's level music in SA2.

19. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Reminds of Radical Highway from SA2 and I think in 2017 that's not really a good thing. I guess Sonic-esque music like this is par for the course but I'm disappointed the track's not at least on Sonic R level which was hook-laden, catchy, nineties pop-genius. I think the team can do better than this and hope the rest of the music is better.

20. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Sonic Colours' main theme was a great mix of cheese, electronica and autotune. It just about worked, but this is just eurgh. And at least Reach for The Stars didn't play in a goddamn level.