don't click here

SA1 is not the first modern Sonic game, it is the last classic game

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blastfrog, May 25, 2017.

1. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Something else I've always felt with Adventure 1 was that the story/plot really complemented the established story from the Classic games.

The Megadrive games slowly introduced more to the overall Sonic “lore”, with a big part of it being the Master Emerald and Angel Island in S3&K, and how these were somehow connected to the seven jolly ranchers we'd been collecting years prior. Sonic Adventure took this lore and expanded on it further. We had already met the Master Emerald and Angel Island in S3&K, but we didn't know much about their history and purpose, which SA1 chose to tell us with Chaos and Tikal. (Whether Adventure succeeded at this or not is another story).

From SA2 onwards, the games didn't dive back into previous lore and instead started a new story involving Shadow/Gerald Robotnik, which would span through SA2 > Heroes > Shadow (and Sonic Battle somewhere in there..).

This is to me, why SA1 feels like it's still part of that 'Master Emerald/Angel Island' arc which started with Sonic 3, and not part of the rest of the SA2 and onwards games.

2. Precisely. The plot and themes of Sonic Adventure, especially if compared to SA2, are distinctly an evolution of what had been established in 2 and 3K. We knew as of Sonic 2 that Tails was a tinkerer, but until SA1 we never saw his workshop. We knew Knuckles was supposed to be protecting the Master Emerald, and that he was te last of his people. With SA1 and the Tikal storyline we got some backstory for how he ended up as the Guardian of the Emerald, as well as what happened to his people.

Thematically, SA1 highlighted the impact Eggman had on the world in real time, as opposed to through time travel in CD. The crash site of the Egg Carrier in the Mystic Ruins for instance. I saw that as an extension of the act transitions from 3K. Tying more into those transitions would be witnessing the Egg Carrier hovering over locales and dropping the badniks to take over.

It also connected the series back to Sonic CD, via the inclusion of Amy and the cameo of Metal Sonic in an incubation tube on the Egg Carrier.

3. Pengi

Pengi

And the flashback of Metal Sonic chasing after Sonic and Amy.

4. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Fuck it, I haven't gone full dork in a while.

So what would Sonic Adventure 2's plot have looked like had it been trying to keep more in line with the tone of Sonic Adventure and the rest of the series up to that point? I offer this dorky fanfic:

-No GUN. No Gerald Robotnik. No Maria.

-Eggman's new sinister plot involves luring Sonic by causing trouble in some requisite Green or Tropical area not too far from San Francisco the City Escape area.

-When Sonic shows up, Eggman shoots him with a gizmo powered by the dark chaos energy he discovered during the Chaos incident, and it has unexpected (to the good guys) results.

-Hi Terios Shadow.

-Now that Eggman has a Sonic of his very own, he can move onto step two of his new evil plot, which naturally involves gathering Chaos emeralds. And the Master Emerald, which he's now going off to nick.

-Rouge is still here in this scenario, but she's not a government agent. She's just a greedy treasure hunter BURSTING WITH BARELY CONTAINED PLOT GREED. I mentioned she's greedy right? Ok cool.

-So she's trying to steal the Master Emerald too, but Knuckles don't Chuckle. Eggman stealing the ME plays out basically the same way, but because of "muh plan" instead of "lol I guess it makes a nice paperweight or somethin"

-Rouge decides she'll team up with Eggman because she's greedy and figures she has a better chance of getting all the shiny things if she teams up with the bad guys. She's also nosy as well as greedy, remember that.

-Shadow causes a ruckus on the world's worst bridge after robbing the bank and everyone becomes legally blind and mistakes him for Sonic, leading to Sonic's capture and imprisonment.

-Which doesn't take place on some shady military island because no GUN. Sonic just gets locked up in a regular old jail in San Francisco (fuck it). Amy threatens Tails with a bludgeoning and he takes her along to bust Sonic out. Then they ESCAPE FROM THE CITY WOOO

-Knuckles sticks his nose in the dirt for a while and looks for Emerald shards because of course he does.

-Rouge offers to take another crack at the vault that Shadow was only able to steal one chaos emerald from because he's not a L337 GR33DY CRIMINAL like she is. This is where she steals those 3 other emeralds.

-Sonic and co do some adventuring by following their Dragon Radar Chaos Emerald Locator thingy and find some emeralds.

-Along the way, a FAKER gets found

-Tails figures out the bad guys have the rest of the emeralds in the desert and they go there, a long with Knuckles who popped out of a sewer at one point

-Eggman has a bad guy monologue about how the Chaos fight taught him that the most powerful weapon in the world was none other than Sonic himself, and with his very own Sonic, he could make the world do what he wanted. Hence Shadow. He's basically gonna have him turn super, stuff him in a battery and put it in a cannon. Shadow is an Energizer Bunny.

-Then the whole underground complex (it was underground right? It definitely felt like it extended miles beneath the surface) gets launched into space with the Master Emeralds power.

-So to make the cannon work, Eggman had to replicate the original Chaos Emerald shrine in the cannon core. This couldn't possibly go wrong.

-Sonic and Shadow have their Final Showdown, and Sonic emerges victorious.

-But due to clever switcheroos, Eggman is able to put all the emeralds in the machine after all. He's getting ready to call Shadow to serve his duty as a battery when...

-The shrine resonates a little too well, and Tikal loses control and Chaos runs wild once again. This time he looks like a giant lizard, because nobody said Gods of Destruction had to be weird water monsters.

-He mad, so he gun dun crash the space station into the planet.

-Shadow has a change of heart because EVEN SONIC'S DARK SIDE HAS LIGHT

-Yadda yadda yadda

-Sayanora, Shadow the Terios

Thoughts? Suggestions? Go-Fuck-Yourselfs?

5. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    Now I want a Sonic 3 and Shadow with this plot.

6. witapepsi

witapepsi

Meseta Stealer Member
    Pumpkin Hill, IL
    Just discovering!
    Sonic Adventure also bought in heavy inspiration from Sonic Team's vacation to Mexico, don't forget about that!
    I mean, inspiration from our reality is the Adventure aspect of... the Adventure series. What other games have similarities with our reality?

Sonic Adventure 2 is a really, really great Dreamcast game. I have always seen it as a definition of that era. SA2's controls are way less slippery compared to SA1 and it's less... loud, in terms of sound. Also, everyone's stage has a different song. The fact that a majority of Shadow's, Rouge's, and Knuckle's stage themes have vocals show the composers wanted to put their best effort in the game.
    Sonic Team had taken their experience they had with SA1 and built upon that to make SA2 and it honestly really shows. The addition of motion capture was a little wonky at times, notably the jail scene, but overall the characters felt less robotic and more realistic. The fact that half of the stages in SA2 are texturally similar, but you're not playing through the same areas with a different character (although there exception; one room in a Rouge/Eggman stage) was a good thing because no stages feel out of place, they all tie in with the story.

I do miss the varied stories each character had and the Knuckles emerald radar mechanic from SA1, but I really do think there's a lot of things in SA2 that make up for those losses.

Overall, I see SA1 as both a modern and a classic Sonic game. The Dreamcast discs had double the storage capacity compared to the Saturn & SegaCD, and the video game industry started taking storytelling more seriously in 3D games. SA1 was Sonic Team's experiment into the new era using their experiences with the main 2D games and turning it into 3D. They pulled it off great, to be honest.

7. Burezu

Burezu

Butt. Member
    Kyushu, JP
    linktr.ee/IHMTTY
    This is such a fun idea. I'd love to see a story mod of SA2 with this idea. It's a little cheesy to start, but kind of reminded me of the windup and story line for Archie Sonic #200.

And just to add my two cents: Sonic Adventure always felt like the transition game to me, and SA2 is really where Modern Sonic begins. But, I don't necessary feel like Adventure is classic enough. Power Ups and departure of speed platforming to the end goal for Knuckles and Big kind of get in the way of that. Also, no space zone?! It's a really solid attempt at keeping the old when moving to the new though. It would have been more jarring to jump right into SA2 without SA1 existing. Their both great fun, and I think they're what drive home the whole "What makes a 3D (Modern) Sonic game?" topic.

8. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    [​IMG]

And just like that, you've written better fiction that what that hack scenario writer wrote for the actual SA2. NOW THAT would have been more appropriate way to celebrate the character for his then-10th anniversary. Well done.

9. synchronizer

synchronizer

Aerosol, so basically make Shadow Mephiles.

10. Speeps

Speeps

Not to mention this would be a massive plot hole considering everything SA1 had to say about Chaos, like him not being mad or in the Master Emerald anymore.

Also, aren't you guys forgetting something? :v:
    [​IMG]

11. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Well I figured Eggman's exploitation of the ME might piss him off again, but I forgot that he and Tikal weren't even in there anymore.

Okay replace Chaos with Dark Chaos. He's the animosity Chaos left behind or something.

12. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    That was beautiful.
    I also like how bringing Chaos back as a plot-point actually justifies the title of "Sonic Adventure 2" more than just gameplay.

I think if I were doing an easy "integrate classic story" into SA2, I would simply include more information about Gerald's research into the Chaos Emeralds, and include that fan-theory of Shadow's design being based on the Hidden Palace mural, as well as possible nods to the Westside Island civilisation and the Echidnas. It wouldn't even need to be an obvious cutscene, just an optional diary or some shit to not trip up any heathens players who don't care 'bout dat lore shit.

13. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    Sonic Adventure 2 is the least fun game of the two Adventure titles. Sure Sonic Adventure has it's unfun moments but my god does the sequal know how to raise one's blood pressure. If they took out the unfun parts of the first game and then made it challenging with the fun parts of the first game but not frustrating, you have better gameplay.

Whoever came up with the ranking system and thought it was good idea to make it an emblem requirement should have have died the most awful unimaginable death in history.

And what do you get after 180 emblems? A bonus stage that's not even worth the effort.

Sonic Adventure > Sonic Adventure 2

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle Chao Garden > Sonic Adventure (DC) Chao Garden