don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I want the new character's Spotify playlist so I can jam with them to their music, I need more than the 30 seconds in that video clip to truly boogie

I hope all of their BGM is like that. It's so weird.

2. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    I don't disagree with you. As stated my issue is the optics. Remember the whole IGN, "Sonic fans wanna screw Big the Cat thing"? That idea didn't just start and end right there. Obviously we are all aware of it. Like I said, I think customization on it's face is generally good, so hopefully they pull it off well, if not I guess it will just mainly play into the perv-narrative, fair or unfair. I don't know if that's what the series needs at this point, and I don't see this as clarifying what Sonic "is about" any more than the last 3 or so games did. Don't shoot the messenger...

3. Felik

Felik

Except SA2 had, like, stakes and drama and humor catered to 12-year-olds rather than 5-year-olds.
    Also SA2 story was bad but memorable instead of bad and dull as fuck.
    To each their own I guess

4. Amnimator

Amnimator

A couple of people are saying Dimps inspired this game, and I think they're right on the money. Heck, after Xenoverse managed to improve sales of the niche Dragon Ball games a whole lot of studios ended up going for that. There's also a good possibility that Dimps is co-developing this game, being done with Xenoverse 2 and all.

Even if I end up disliking the game, I can't say I hate the character creation idea. At the very least I'll have some dumb fun meming with the best of them, and modding to do even more ridiculous stuff (Steam Workshop support please!). All the same, modern and classic more or less look like Generations, and I can't see them being of lower value than classic and modern in Generations. And the good thing is that it seems we're getting new original stages too.

5. Lozicle

Lozicle

People are saying that SonicTeam is spreading themselves thin with these three gameplay styles, but honestly, they've already developed Boost and Classic gameplay to the point where they're fun enough, and Buddy the OC seems to play really similar to them, just with the addition of a grapple hook and weapons. If SonicTeam wanted to have a game where you can make your own Sonic character, this is probably the absolute safest environment to do it in.

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'd say Original the character compared to modern Sonic is like 06 Shadow to 06 Sonic. They're different enough and one uses gadgets (vehicles) but they're definitely similar. We're not talking Silver levels of weird here.

7. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I liked the part where I made my own character, beat up the Ganglion, got to make a Skell, then armed it to look like Metal Gear REX.

8. Nova

Nova

I think people need to stop thinking of this as 'Sonic OCs made canon' and just think of it as a CAC mode, like lots of games have

9. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    I get what you're saying, but it's more so that rather than continuing to focus on developing Classic and Modern (Which both were fine in Generations in my opinion, but far from perfect, especially Classic), they're one again diverting their attention to where it doesn't really need to be. Rather than taking the critique and continuing to improve them, they're just trying something different again. I don't hate the boost formula like some people here do, but I also know that there are improvements that could take it from good to great. I do also cautiously like what I'm seeing with the OC, but I still would rather they just focus a bit more.

10. Nova

Nova

Why does a third gameplay style necessarily mean the other two won't be polished? This has been in development for a while and as stated, Modern and Classic were pretty well fleshed-out anyway so

11. Two things that I hope happens...

1: Have a sort of easter egg where if you replicate existing characters like Tails/Knuckles/Shadow/Amy/etc., they're treated AS that character in cutscenes. Essentially, replicate a character and they're used as the third slot in the game. (Doubt this would happen, but it would be a neat touch)

2: Modders start making custom parts for the Character Creator. (I'm totally making Oswald from Epic Mickey, although replicating the suits Hez is making for Sonic Classic 2 would be fun to see.)

The only problem that I have with this is simple, and has kind of existed for a while now. Why is it that every random schmuck who shows up has super speed comparible to Sonic? Tails being able to keep up, I could accept. His "running" animation is different enough that I can accept it as not running, but some other form of motion that can keep up. Knuckles was a bit of a stretch, but I guess that there could be at least one other character with a similar skill-set to count as a rival. Shadow has jet shoes to cheat himself running speed. Now explain Amy, Rouge, Espio, Vector, etc. At least give some indication that Donut Steel here is using some sort of gadget to mimic Sonic's speed.

12. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    Fair point, but Classic's gameplay and Modern's preview didn't really instill optimism in me that things are changing much for the two of them. It's just one level, sure, but first impressions mean a lot.

Again, I am absolutely not against the third gameplay style, I'm actually more optimistic than I thought I'd be.

13. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Missed the storm but yea. Sonic Forces ain't for me. I might rent this dumpster fire but that's as far as I'll go.

Create a character. In a Sonic game. A platformer. The fuck are they thinking? Create-a-character only makes sense with RPG elements. Do they really think there's enough depth to the gameplay to throw RPG elements into the mix? It's a bloody platformer for crying out loud.

Mania needs to outsell this game. Actually fuck that, it needs to out-profit this game. Way to fail SoJ. Way to fail.

14. ancara

ancara

I love how so many people are losing their minds over Original the Character creator and acting like this time I'll finally be leaving the fandom guise. :specialed:

I don't mind it at all. In fact, I wanna see how far they take it to see what fun awaits, both in-game and with eventual mods once the wizards here crack open the code. But still, my interest is now greater than ever, and no amount of people losing their minds over this because people remember DA is a thing will change my mind otherwise. :v:

15. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    Exactly what Aerosol said ^

AND I don't see why they couldn't incorporate existing characters such as Knuckles, Shadow, Silver and hell even Mighty to potentially expand upon their role in the franchise's universe. Almost seems like Nintendo shoehorned their "customize your avatar" bullshit onto Sega as their idea of a selling point.

16. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That won't be difficult, simply due to the fact that this game probably cost wayyyyy more to make than Mania. Outselling it would be the harder achievement.

18. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Blinx 2 (a platformer, directed by Naoto Oshima) had a purely cosmetic character creator. It was generally well-received, with the only complaint being that people wanted to play as Blinx, not as Big Cat (genuinely one of the auto-generated names available).

And it works much the same way as this will work, for much the same reason. Everyone loves character customisation. It allows the player to express their creativity. It's not a bad thing. It doesn't need RPG elements to work - why would it?

19. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    C'mon. You don't ACTUALLY think they spent a good chunk of that dev time polishing the gameplay do you? They mostly likely spent a lot of it redeveloping the lighting engine, and just getting the Character Customization feature to work. Presumptuous I know, but not out of the realm of possibility. Modern and Classic Sonic are "fleshed out" sure, but one is severely outclassed by a much better interpretation being released earlier this year and the other still has to rely on automation, perspective switching, and supplementary material just to be more than a running sim. The third play style looks like a really wimpy, but practical compromise between the two. Now that might change since we haven't seen much of it yet, and there's still a lot that they could add to keep it interesting, but we already know what to expect with the Sonics. The fact that they may have to juggle them alongside this new gameplay style is nothing to overlook, since Sonic Team isn't really the best with multi management.

20. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    So, I'm a bit on the fence with this. I know, 'durr, DeviantArt wins', 'Coldsteel is canon lulz', etc., etc.

But one thing I noticed is the physical shape of OC the Donutsteel. The torso seems really skinny during the trailer, and it makes the character seem strange next to the two Sonics. Hopefully that will be something that could be changed, maybe with some kind of width/depth sliders, or being able to choose a different body shape in general. I'm also a bit unnerved by only seeing solid colors, and I'm hoping that we'll have some marking options. After all, if we're gonna make our own, we may as well be able to get what we're going for, right? Hell, I even went and adapted my own tiger to the style, getting this:

[​IMG]
    Yeah, I know, it's a texture-edited Blaze head, but at least I went in and redid the UV maps before I did. Torso, since it was simple, was based on Sonic's from Colors with a simple mapping to allow for easy texturing. Shoes are mostly placeholder, but still self-built.

For how (s)he's depicted, I kinda didn't like how our example character was shown to be keeping up with the Sonics, and hope that maybe we can edit those kinds of 'stats' to a different distribution (maybe 'speed', 'strength', and 'tech', where higher tech lets you do extra damage/range/stuff with your gadgets, etc.). Kinda bugs me that Sonic is supposed to be the fastest there is, but even Shitglove can keep pace these days. Power creep is real.

On the gameplay side, I don't see much to worry about. I basically see Colors (mix of 2D/3D) with some extra abilities, and maybe an added emphasis on clearing enemies. That's pretty solid, since Colors was well-received.