don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Fuck sake, I just wanted a game that built upon Generations. I'm not even hard to please, Generations 2, while not ideal, would have been fine with me. Why the fuck have they made this horrible decision? Why cant they just not royally fuck up their games with awful decisions.

That's it; I'm done. I was really done with Rise of Lyric (I didn't buy that or any Sonic game since) but now it's finished.mo way I'm buying this. Sonic Team are useless and need to be taken off this franchise, bring in a developmemt team who aren't gleefully incompetent.

I'll buy Mania on multiple consoles, give other development teams a chance, and fully support Team Mania, but I'm never even looking at any more Sonic Team games ever again.

If Mania wasn't a thing, Sonic would b

2. Nova

Nova

seriously why are you mad

why is this a bad thing

please explain to me other than "boohoo sonic fancharacters on deviantART" because what you're basically saying is sonic is never allowed a character creator

you know that thing that most games these days have

i swear yall bitch about anything

3. So, can we officially call this Sonic Forced now? //forums.sonicretro.org/public/style_emoticons/default/v.png

4. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    There is no need to be upset.

God is dead and we killed him.

I dunno what you're going on about but this thread has been mostly positive about this so far. Myself included.

5. Violet

Violet

Sweden
    Flicky Engine, Overdrive
    Inb4 the game turns out to be amazing and people ignore it because of the oc maker.
    Not like we have millions of oc's on dA already. A few new ones won't do more damage.

6. Nova

Nova

did you even see the gameplay

it is basically generations 2 as far as that goes, what is your beef, you seem unduly mad

7. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    I really don't get it either. Yeah, sure, we're gonna see a lot of badly designed custom characters (be it the person's intention or not), but when it comes down to it, SEGA and Sonic Team are taking advantage of something that's already huge in the Sonic the Hedgehog fandom. It may not be a side of the fandom we're happy about, but it's definitely marketable. Plus game play wise, I do like it's not as drastic as say the Werehog or the Shooters from SA2. It's similar, but different enough.

I do at least understand that they need to step up their game after Lost World and Rise of Lyric, but from what we've seen so far, I don't think it's that bad.

8. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    As nice as it is to have different attributes for each species... Most of them are honestly kind of lame compared to others.

I mean like... Powered up Homing Attack/Double Jump? Or 5 rings after death in a series that literally shoves rings down your throat?

Still, I'm quite enjoying what I'm seeing.

9. Spunodi

Spunodi

Whilst DeviantArt has won and that's terrifying, the real news must be the return of Sonic R style vocal tracks in the gameplay vid. I will at least enjoy the soundtrack on full blast unsettling any passengers on my journeys.

10. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    Does this at least mean there won't be filler mission levels this time?

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Jesus christ.

No matter how the rest of the game turns out, the only thing that Sonic Forces is ever going to be remembered for is the ability to play as your DeviantArt self-insert. I predict wide mocking by the gaming press and surrounding community. Whether or not the ability to play as Original the Character will translate into game sales, god only knows. SoJ seems to think so, why else would they have done this? I agree with the poster upthread - hit the randomise button, get through the stages of OC as quickly as possible, never touch them again (much like I did with Werehog). At least there's still Sonic Mania to point at for the brand's self-respect.

The actual gameplay mechanic doesn't look terrible, but the presentation... jesus.

12. RikohZX

RikohZX

Honestly, from what little they want to show us so far, Forces is probably going to be alright. It's just that we already know Sonic Team is pretty flawed about things and the Classic Sonic showing was kind of like a gigantic teetering tower that had some severely mixed reception. The Custom Hero announcement just blew up the base of that tower spontaneously and let it fall over as the fans have exploded; it feels like the OCs are more of an excuse to persecute Sonic Team and the fandom than anything specifically wrong besides the occasional gameplay criticism for their style.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well, one option is a hedgehog. You could just make the character look exactly like Sonic and then end it there. That's my plan for the time being. In fact I'm willing to bet that's one of the reasons why Hedgehog is an option, for those of us who want to skip this feature entirely. They could have taken it a step further and given us Knuckles and Tails skins for those who don't want to play as OC the whatever, but hell if I'm already playing as 2 Sonics why not throw in a third.

So far the reception is actually not as bad as I thought. I thought it would be werehog levels of hate but this is mostly "lol deviantart" but not in a super negative way though.

14. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

I think the custom character IS the filler mission levels this time. :p

But no, seriously, the little kids out there are going to have a field day with this. They can create their own character to help Sonic defeat Eggman. It's not as big as it would have been in the 90's or early 00's, but it's still meaningful.

15. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    If you're complaining about Sonic Forces catering to DeviantArt fans but bought Dragon Ball Xenoverse plz get out of this thread.

16. Violet

Violet

Sweden
    Flicky Engine, Overdrive
    I'm just gonna recreate the beta sonic design (the bunny one) and done.

17. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    Think it mostly has to do with Sonic Team pandering to the fanbase in a...really bizarre way. It's not a bad idea, but it doesn't really bring a whole lot to the table other than you can play as Greg the Hedgehog. The gameplay doesn't look all that interesting and combined with the other two game styles it's a case of Sonic Team spreading themselves too thin, which has only gone horribly in the past. There's also the fact that they just kind of threw this in. It'd be one thing if it were it's own game, but it's alongside two already established gameplay styles, none of which have been considerably fleshed out in this specific medium, and now have to share the limelight with this odd new experimental style. It's just kind of out of left field, and unnecessary given the position Sonic is in. It's playing to the whole weird meme-y nature the series has fallen into, after it seemed like they were breaking away from that and getting serious. Yeah, that part of Sonic's history will probably never go away, but the answer isn't to embrace it. There's a reason people joke about it to begin with.

18. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Hahahaha this is kind of genius and will most likely make the game sell like hotcakes. It's exactly what I thought they might do eventually, I'm surprised it took them this long really.

19. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    Ditto. When they add play styles that have nothing to do with the main Sonic gameplay (like the werehog), you have a ton to worry about. But I don't understand how Original the Character's play style will "royally fuck up" the game when the gameplay has so many similarities to Modern Sonic.

20. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    Yeah. I'm very happy to see that O the C's playstyle is not crazy different from the rest of the game.
    I'll be clear; I find this funny as hell. But there's nothing inherently wrong with it.