don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    You're talking about Sonic 2 HD, the closed group project. Not much good came from Sonic 2 HD, the Retro community project.

Anyway we're somehow getting even more off-topic than we already were so I'll stop now. :v:

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I'll be honest, it's for two reasons:

1) Information could drop at any time when Sega feels like it. I don't want to have to come home from work to about 40 PMs saying THERE'S NEW INFO OUT UNLOCK THE THREAD I HAVE A NEED TO POST
    2) Further to point 1, people would make new threads I'd then have to combine back into the main one.

tl;dr it's not being locked

3. Blast Brothers

Blast Brothers

So I guess this goes in this thread? I'm not entirely sure, but it does relate directly to Forces, so...

Sonic CD and How it Relates To Forces

Sonic CD was an attempt at creating a Sonic 1 sequel using somewhat incompatible technology (the Sega CD). It was created by a team seperate from the Sonic 1 team, who only gave them some code, concept art, and a few ideas left over from this and this. The new team didn't have a full grasp of the... connective tissue, I guess? that made Sonic 1 so popular. Now, despite its popularity, the first game had some flaws. For example, the level design became a bit too constrictive and uninspired at times, and overall a little polish was needed to push the concept to its fullest. Because of their lack of understanding, however, the new team gave up on improving the game's core mechanics. Instead, they tried to "innovate" by experimenting just a tad too much with altering the core concept.

However, the game took longer to make than expected, and as a result Sonic Team's true sequel, Sonic 2, came out first. The comparisons were right to be made; Sonic 2 was Sonic 1 but refined; Sonic CD (when it did release eventually) was Sonic 1 but more "out there". Things like the time travel mechanic were neat, but didn't truly add to the game and were mostly relegated to gimmicks. As a result, the game sold somewhat poorly, killing off any hope of this specific avenue of Classic gameplay returning. Despite this, some fans love it and think of it higher than Sonic's other sequels.

Now, what does any of this have to do with Forces? Well, the games exist in a similar space.
    • They both follow a highly successful game with some flaws (Sonic 1/Generations)
    • They both represent a "fresh start" from a development perspective, what with the new engine and all
    • They both want to take a specific avenue of the series in a new direction
    • They both appear heavily based off of the previous game's structure
    • They both have gimmicks that probably won't gel with the central game (Time travel/ 3rd character)
    • They both will get compared to generally superior things that came out earlier (CD to S1 and Forces to Mania to some extent)
    • They both will probably be generally disliked, but will fuffill a certain niche for some people
    • And most importantly,
    • They both lack an understanding of why, exactly, the last entry was so popular.
    I don't see an improvement over Generations in any aspect of Forces. It doesn't bring many new ideas, or much polish, to the skeleton of a complete Modern expereince we got last time. For people who found no faults with Generations, that's fine. That group is likely quite marginal, however. So, this means a bad game for everyone else, or at least a forgettable one.
    What happened after CD's failure? The Sonic landscape got a new awakening in Sonic 3. Sega doesn't give many opportunities for failures to improve themselves (Boom and Lost World likely being dead ends are recent examples). I think something similar might happen after Forces' release if it's as underwhelming in December as it is now. Whatever coms next, it'll hopefully be a better game in the eyes of most. Just wait this one out, guys! The horizon is near!

4. synchronizer

synchronizer

I thought that the time travel was a great mechanic.

5. Blast Brothers

Blast Brothers

If you think the time travel was an integral part of the experience, then that's fine. It didn't do much for me personally, however, despite the interesting nature of the concept.
    Either way, it's a bit inconsequential in the grand scope of what I was trying to say. Want another example of a bad (in my opinion) gameplay element? Try the bouncy WW floors.

6. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Pretty sure CD sold poorly more because of it being an exclusive to the Mega CD add-on, which wasn't exactly the most popular hardware compared to the stock Genesis consoles, rather than being an oddball of the series. Even then, that didn't stop it from being the best-selling game for that accessory (1.5 million units on an accessory that sold 2.24M units in its lifetime; that number is actually more than the individual sales numbers we do know of for Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles) or receiving critical acclaim from reviewers. Even today, despite being the most "out there" Sonic game at the time, few people think twice about grouping the game as one of "classic" Sonic games; the game was widely considered a hidden gem by the community up until the Taxman's remake.

Moreover, there do exist developer quotes on the game's development page here on the wiki, that Sonic CD was considered something more of a remake of the first game, rather than a straight sequel like Sonic 2. From Naoto Ohshima himself (who directed the game):

I think your comparisons of Sonic CD with Sonic Forces are pretty tenuous at best.

e: Scrubbed out the sales number bit, as the source it's based on is inaccurate.

7. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
  8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Hey so it looks like something is screwing with GHZ. Maybe that's why there's sand.

9. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Maybe its like the thing from the mushroom hill boss.

10. Fenrir

Fenrir

Eh. Member
    Eh. At least they're keeping some consistent news going for this and Mania lately. This is probably a rare case of me wanting to see as much of a game as I can before I actually play/buy it.

11. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Maybe we need to shove "Problems with Boost Sonic/How to improve boost Sonic" into it's own topic? There's apparently plenty to discuss.

My predictions:

-a glimpse at the thing that's messing with green hill
    -The convenient plot point for why Classic Sonic is in this shindig beyond "it worked last time!"
    -more terribly realized music
    -more things to bitch about

12. You're right, that was just a knee-jerk moan. Mods pls delete

13. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
  14. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Same guy also posted this in response to a comment by Tracker_TD (from SSMB):

"You won't be able to resist this. It's actually a lot like stuff you already do, except official, and therefore, it feel wrong. But special"

Tracker_TD makes a bunch of fanmade Sega stuff every now and then (he did that fake Forces photoshop from a while back months before screenshots / gameplay was actually shown, as well as this Japanese commercial for Sonic Mania)...

...so are we all but confirmed to be getting that character-creation thing?

If so, see you in the bunkers when the shit hits the fan tomorrow! :specialed:

15. Violet

Violet

Sweden
    Flicky Engine, Overdrive
    Can't wait to get more disappointed tomorrow :v:

DeviantArt is going to go bat shit crazy if we get this.

16. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    The whole internet is going to go bat shit crazy if we get this.

17. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Never has there been a mechanic that makes so much sense for this fanbase but that I dread with every fiber of my being.

Glad I deleted my deviantart account years ago because I really don't want to be privy to the resurgence of fan oc's to prominence.

But I do hope for a hidden achievement for re-creating Coldsteel the Hedgeheg.

18. Felik

Felik

C'mon, we all know that the first thing to be recreated would be Sonichu.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Achievement unlocked: Psssh.... Nothing personnel kid.

69 points

20. Amnimator

Amnimator

It seems that a lot of people are being apprehensive about Sonic Forces, but fear not, I've come prepared. I have created a time machine for this specific occasion.
    I'm going to go back in time and convince SEGA to add a third gameplay style to this game. Wish me luck.

EDIT: To be honest, I'd be half - half with a character creation thing going on. It would be nice to show my dank memes to the world if the game has online or whatever, but then that would mean I'd have to rely on the boost and classic gameplay likely as the bulk of the main content.