don't click here

Sonic Forces Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Jul 23, 2016.

1. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Really, I see a lot of good argument for why Modern Sonic needs to change, and a few tried and true responses, "nah-uh, you missed the point, you said most when you should have said 50% plus 1, so your entire argument is invalid, but I concede Boost is only almost perfect".

Everyone just needs to stop trying to convince these handful of people that Boost is flawed and destined to mediocrity. We know it, most people that have at one time or another considered themselves Sonic fans know it, the gaming industry knows it... What do we care if a hand full of people won't accept reason, there will always be those who defend the status quo. Who cares, eventually Modern Sonic will change because it must, so just bid your time people. It's a waiting game at this point. We already have Classic Sonic in Mania, and now classic Sonic as half of the modern games... just be hold on a little longer.

By volume, it's starting to look like Classic Sonic is becoming the "Modern Sonic".

[​IMG]

2. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    You're not really helping your case there by going "soon they will finally know that ACTUALLY they are wrong for liking the thing i don't like".

3. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    LOL, Exactly! Love you TimmiT!

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Hold the fort, this has nothing to do with that. I'm saying how much more can be said about the current topic? It's been analyzed in and out like 8 times in the past 20 pages. The same people remain on the same sides, but outside of the Classic Sonic GHZ arguments we have nothing to say about THIS game. The boost formula may transcend and have its own issues, but the fact is none of this has anything to do with the game at this point. It's just this back and forth about the same thing. As far as the developer comment was concerned, I was saying that Taxman and crew might listen to us during development, Sonic Team won't and this is almost certainly pretty much set.

By all means, analyze this game all you want, but this isn't about the game anymore it's about the series in general, and it's gone back and forth so many times that I don't think anyone's opinion is changing. It's been brought up before that Modern Sonic games continue to sell worse and worse. Boost has been its only formula that people have been, for the most part, like "yea this is ok." This is a back pedal safe game after the failures of Boom and Lost World. If this game sells poorly, boost may very well be dead. So argue with your wallets in this case and not with your words, as all Sonic Team Japan will likely listen to at this point is money and review scores, not what we have to say about the politics of boost gaming.

5. Amnimator

Amnimator

I think there's something to be said when even if I didn't get much enjoyment out of the boost games, I can respect it for what it is. In fact, there's a whole lot you can do with boost - look at Sonic Rush and its vertical free falls and jump chain that take advantage of the 2 vertical screens of the DS vs Sonic Generations 3DS vs Sonic Generations PS3/ 360/ PC. It's just that a lot of people are calling this game crap simply by correlation with it being a boost game, rather than any real critique.

This thread really feels like it's just been going up and down and all around in circles and I don't like it. When ever someone brings an actual point of discussion, people who don't like what they see jump to buzz words to try and shut them down in both sides of the argument, even if they have a point. Then things just loop and to confirm their stance they conflate opinion and fact. Both sides don't want to admit there's a big bubble of bias in this thread and that they don't actually want to discuss anything, they just want an echo chamber. Now that I think of it, that's not much of a rarity in social media.

But to be fair, this isn't really anything new when there's nothing much to discuss about the game anymore. I'd say the best course of action is the jump ship from the thread and come back when info is actually revealed, for those that care.

6. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Somebody jumping in and going "actually both sides of this discussion are bad" is just as much a part of the course discussions on this forum usually tend to take. :v:

Anyway I agree with it being better to wait until there's actually more to discuss about this game. Which I'm guessing will be next month at E3.

7. Amnimator

Amnimator

Nice, that way I completed the circle and it gets to start over again. Wait, no -

Kidding aside, I'm just saiyan that a lot of the good discussion is at least around 20 pages behind, no offense to anyone that posted recently of course. It just reminds me of the Sonic Boom thread where we saw nothing of the game and a whole bunch of people immediately called it garbage. Yeah, it turned out to be pretty low quality, but we really didn't know anything about it to call it trash. That being said, some of the discussion in this thread made me think about the boost gameplay more and, hey I learned a bit from it. It's just that some of those same people also kind of made things go in circles a bit.

Saying, "both sides are bad" is an error on my part. More like there was a bit of low quality posts that devolved to name calling, when there was actually some decent points being made by both sides. Just want to emphasize I'm not pointing the finger at anyone in this thread or anything.

#StuffedNachos

8. ITT:
    30% people discussing the boost formula
    20% people complaining about the people discussing the boost formula
    10% people who were complaining about the boost formula complaining about the people complaining about their complaining
    30% people calling the thread a circlejerk because of the above
    10% actually Sonic Forces.

Carry on.

9. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Well what the hell do you think we should talk about when there is really no information to go by? It's not like we have a Boost Formula thread.

10. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Then make one. :V

11. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

We also could be productive and make our own game. :p

12. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    We tried that. Didn't work out too well.

13. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

Forgive me for my ignorance, but can I ask what the attempt was?

14. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Sonic 2 HD.

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

And Project Sonic Retro.

And Mania too, I suppose. Except the "we" is considerably smaller and doesn't actually include us. =P

16. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

Ah right. Isn't that game not quite dead yet though?

Also, that was an attempt at remaking a game. I was talking about making an original Sonic game, following its own story and such. Why doesn't that happen? What prevents us from creating a good game with a solid story?

So many fangames crash and burn. We complain about Sonic Team not doing a good job at making Sonic games but they follow a vision and get it done. So have other fangame attempts like Before the Sequel & Time Twisted. We oughta be capable of pulling off that feat too.

17. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Sonic 2 HD used to be a Retro community project, except it basically went nowhere when it was one. You can see the archived threads here: http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showforum=89

It then turned into a closed project, and the group behind that did eventually release the Emerald Hill demo. But then because of drama with the lead programmer it crashed and burned. Now a different group is making Sonic 2 HD, no idea how development is going for them though.

Some of the people from the group that made the Emerald Hill demo started PagodaWest, which is now co-developing Sonic Mania. So things ended up pretty alright for them all things considered. :v:

Anyway, point is, Retro community projects have a history of going nowhere.

18. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Thing is though Sonic Mania is out of the ashes of those projects. Say what you will about failed projects, the fact an official game is being made by fans mean we have had success.

It's like the male species. Sure a victor comes out on top that reaps in the huge rewards, but that comes at a cost of a huge number of failed rejects underneath them.

19. Thousand Pancake

Thousand Pancake

Being a food you put milk on and then eat in the m Member
    I've always wondered why the mods don't just relock this thread after a couple weeks with no info and then unlock it again when new stuff comes up. Would probably help keep things from devolving into an unproductive circle jerk. Only keep the thread unlocked when the game is actually out.

20. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

Either that or we make an unproductive circle jerk thread or make a thread where we throw all of our ideas at each other until we come up with a game.