don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    Let's get back on track people please, now then, did you guys get a good look at that amazing capsule in Flying Battery? And speaking of capsule, I wonder if the mini boss will come back, hope they give a good twist on it

2. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    Oh, sorry. I'll take my leave.

please god let there really be a release date on the way

3. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I might be extremely late to this party, but I only just realized after listening to random Sonic OSTs at work.

The music used at the start of the Sonic Mania reveal trailer before it rewinds is the start of the Sonic 3D Blast credits music. Not sure if it hints that we will be getting a re-imagined 3D Blast level, but a nice reference none the less.

4. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Nah. The S3D music in the trailer was a special little Easter Egg from Hyper Potions, because it was sort of meant to symbolise the credits of the last Mega Drive Sonic game leading into the "next" Mega Drive Sonic game. I forgot where this was mentioned, but it was a cute touch. We're only getting remade levels from the main 2D games, nothing from anything else in the series.

5. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    This is the worst thread.

6. CittaLight

CittaLight

I would love to see Act 2 be a jazzed up version of Sky Chase from Sonic 2!

Except this time, moving the Tornado up and down would make the screen scroll up and down (to an extent). Perhaps you would even have to jump onto ledges - the plane would keep going forward and you'd have to catch up with it.

7. RubyEclipse

RubyEclipse

Works at Squar Inix Member
    This is correct. We put that in there as a symbolic easter egg for the fans who might recognize it. :)

8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I almost want to read into the fact that you omitted the last sentence in my post there. Almost :tinfoil:

9. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    284 Pages in this was finally brought to the surface :v:

That is actually my favorite song from Sonic 3D Blast and have played this on repeat for years (and as long as it's the only part of the game associated with Sonic Mania, we're good).

As for a new Sky Chase....again, We already got it in Sonic 4, which ended up being one of the most frustrating, but absolute best levels.

10. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    I wonder if we'll hit 300 by the time of the release date.

11. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

Another heated discussion like the one we just had and we could hit 325 by the release date. :v:

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Best thread.

13. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I'm honestly not thrilled with Flying Battery re-using so much of the Layout at all. This is my most anticipated game, but I want these guys to give us as much 'new' content as possible. Green Hill was supposed to be the most conservative of the rehashes, but Flying Battery looks just as much so, which is a big concern.

Of course, it's 1:30 seconds worth of content from 2 trailers. I really, really like most of what I've seen so far, but if too much of this game rehashes classic layouts with a "twist" (the whole more classic stages than new ones thing) I will actually be a bit upset.

Please tell me something to assure me that my concerns are unjustified. Mania is the best looking thing we've had in 20 years, and I don't want this to be a disappointment (and I say that as someone who was very happy with Generations and even genuinely enjoyed s4e2, BTW).

14. MisterSparkly

MisterSparkly

I want to believe the devs know what they're doing, and have some original ideas up their sleeves in terms of level design. If this were going to be some slapdash classic stage compilation then SEGA probably would've just pooped it out into the market with little fanfare.

Also, I don't think the rehashing could be any worse than what was done on Sonic Generations 3DS :/

15. Sean Evans

Sean Evans

Professional Dork Member
    Earth
    Sonic Overture, Sonic Utopia
    If you've been keeping up with the livestreams, Aaron and Sergio have noted that layouts for stages are not exactly final. Some things could be tweaked and touched up here and there, and there's plenty of content that could look quite a touch different from what we see. You also have to consider the circumstances. This is an indie dev team developing what is essentially a game that is meant to have content well beyond the reaches of what most indie developers are capable of. The idea of reusing stages and content is an easy way for them to make a game of reasonable length as well as produce a spin on some old stuff. And of course you're forgetting the second acts of the remixed stages. I'm pretty sure the idea is to establish an expectation for the act 1 stage, then turn that expectation on it;s head with the act 2 stages. That might be what they mean when they said Green Hill would be the most tame remix. Act 2, while already quite different from act 1, borrows a couple of things from the act 3 layout, and still has much of the Green Hill aesthetic and design to it. But imagine how the new acts of other stages might play out. It may get to the point where they hardly resemble anything we've seen thus far. So chin up, there's still the potential for a wealth of new exciting content, which is what makes the "drip-feed" approach all the more interesting. I have faith the team know what they're doing.

16. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Considering that Green Hill Zone has already been shown to be drastically expanded upon with new scenery and everything, and they've referred to that as the tamest remake, the worry of Flying Battery Zone having little else is ridiculous.

17. plushifoxed

plushifoxed

that power is yet unknown Oldbie
    jazzy nyc
    puella magi chroma magica
    youre the worst thread

Shitposting aside, I don't know what Mania could really even take from S3D in general, even if they did want to take a level from it. Pretty much all of the level tropes in that game are outright lifted from previous games without much tweaking...

18. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

You know I fully expect some serious surprises here, like notable levels from the Adventure games or even Unleashed or Colors showing up in Genesis for. Or a redo of a Sonic Advance or Rush level. All of this in addition to Genesis classics and originals. That'd be cool too.

19. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    Your concerns are unjustified.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    While even the concept of Panic Puppet was somewhat present in CD's Stardust Speedway, a whole level mapped around a giant Robotnik figure would still be an interesting thing to see done in a 2D Sonic.