don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Syn

Syn

http://archiesoniconline.com/board/index.php?topic=1158.msg23974#msg23974

In case you don't feel like clicking the link, according to a receptionist named lisa, over the phone at Archie's subscriptions said Archie is planning to email all subscribers by the end of April (yes, April was specifically said) that will let them know what is going on with both Sonic The Hedgehog and Sonic Universe. She also said that, if the comics get cancelled, Archie will offer store credit or a refund for the subscription. What is rather interesting is that she acknowledged directly that Sonic readers “wouldn't probably be interested in Archie”.

2. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    The source of this

It's probably not a good thing when Archie support acknowledges that the comic may be cancelled.

3. Syn

Syn

The real sad part for me is the info from previewworld.com. Whenever something gets a 4, it's basically a way to say "it's over" quietly. You never see a 9.

4. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    It couldn't even end on a swan song.

Well, if we're counting Mega Drive then it's a song that got interrupted.

5. Tylinos

Tylinos

For the sake of being more clear on this, since I keep seeing people mentioning that out of context: The latest PreviewsWorld solicitation update list marked #291 and #294 as 4s ("Cancelled by Publisher"), while at the same time marking Universe #95 to #97 as 2s ("Will Resolicit"), and leaving #292 and #293 out entirely.

In other words: The PreviewsWorld update only makes things more unclear, rather than confirming anything. Just relax and wait for the email that's apparently coming before the end of the month. If the book's ending, that will confirm it, not contradictory information that people are only passing along part of.

[inlinespoiler]Calling it now: The email's going to say the book is "on hiatus", and that you can get refunds if you don't want to wait and see if anything changes.[/inlinespoiler]

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm so curious as to what's going on. Does either side want the comic to continue? Are they all tired of the lawsuits? Is Archie just interested in Archie now? Is sega tired of Archie's various problems or just tired of the comic period? Regardless of the outcome I kinda just want to know the story at this point.

7. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    You probably should link people to the source you found that:
    http://archiesoniconline.com/board/index.php?topic=1158.msg23974#msg23974

8. Syn

Syn

Yeah I should have linked them both, I'll go back and do that now.

9. Zeether

Zeether

Archie's probably more interested in pushing their (awful) teen drama on CW over trying to resolve the Sonic problem :v:

10. Syn

Syn

If it ends up saying that, I will laugh.

11. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Goddamn... and it seemed like the comic had really turned around. If it's really going I hope IDW gets it. Hell, I wonder if Marvel could get it (Sonic in the MCU? I'd dig it).

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Boom! Studios or Darkhorse are pretty good with stories as well, from what I've read of their works. I wouldn't mind either of those getting it.

13. Zeether

Zeether

I dunno about Dark Horse, they seem like the kind of company that also silently drops stuff without saying a word.

14. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    In that case, Boom!Studios then?

They're pretty good. Been keeping up with their Power Rangers series, including the Justice League crossover, I like it. It's like if the movie's tone was carried over to the main series. Not too dark, but not the campy "friendship" thing the originals had. It even has a part focusing on how stressful being a Ranger can be on the characters, specifically Jason.

So if they did pick up the Sonic licence, I can imagine it being a pretty good read. Hopefully Flynn follows and gets free reign properly as well.

Not sure about their prior dealings, though, so if someone has an issue with Boom!Studios, feel free to bring it up.

15. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    So I guess this means the end of the Freedom fighters now? I wonder if this could leed to certain fans bugging for them to be brought into the games even more as a result.
    (Sega are the Owners of the original Freedom Fighters after all.)

16. Syn

Syn

Yeah but Sega like to keep all the different Sonic licenses in different baskets. The only thing they cross over anymore is the merch.

Sadly too, if the comic book license does go to another publisher, they most likely will want to start fresh and make their own book and not continue what's already there. So whoever would get it could say, "no Freedom Fighters".

17. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Would Sega's licensing department rep Alex (who on the Twitch streams seems to have the nickname Alex Kidd) have a more definitive answer? He answers questions sometimes.

The dearth of mainline Sonic media releases in the 25th anniversary left Overdrive and Genesis of a Hero at the top of the molehill of actual content. If they want to can it, just be done with it already. This back and forth is nuts.

18. Syn

Syn

I can't really say since the chat for their twitch and YouTube go by fast and they just pick random questions. If he had a Twitter, you could ask him there personally, but idk if he does. Best thing to do is just sit and wait till the e-mail comes out.

19. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    If 290 'is' the last issue ever, it is amusing named "Sonic's Cease and Desist".

I honestly thought we'd get a final story arc someday that wrapped up the saga, but then again, considering the genesis reboot... it didn't really matter anymore anyway.

Let whatever company wants to pick this up pick it up, or don't. It'd be a shame, but Sonic can survive without a comic if it must.

20. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    There's still a lot of value in a Sonic comic, I believe. Sonic was what, the second-longest running licensed comic of all time? Top 5 definitely. I seriously doubt sales were ever an issue either.

Ultimately, I think that both Archie and Sega decided that it just wasn't worth the legal hassle Penders started and other previous creators are perpetuating. It's a liability for both parties at this point.

Give it to IDW, bring Flynn, Hesse and Yardley along with it. Give some new talent a shot at it too.

Start fresh. No more hold-overs from the bygone era of SatAM. No ties that will eventually force the series to have to reboot itself every couple of years. I don't even care if it's classic or modern; I just want to see a new era start from scratch without all the baggage that comes with continuing a 24 year comic is saddled with so they can flesh out a new, consistent world that can be built on, maybe even create something the games themselves can start to build off of (farfetched as that seems).