don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Volphied

Volphied

「限界の向こうは無限大」 Member
    https://twitter.com/SonicNewsNow/status/844292189379346434

New: Tracy Yardley regarding #ArchieSonic situation: "Archie & SEGA are talking. Will let fans know when they have news." #SonicNews

2. Welp, Overdrive is cancelled.

This is fine.

Just man, this entire situation with Archie Sonic just really sucks.

3. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

I'm upset Overdrive is cancelled. I was really looking forward to it concluding. The fact that it's a casualty over all this legal mumbo jumbo sucks. I was really excited to seeing how they end it.

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Man, Classic Sonic things in three parts always get cancelled after the second one...

5. Indigo Rush

Indigo Rush

If the cancellation of the Archie Sonic comics comes to fruition, man I'll be upset. I was really looking forward to the conclusion to Mega Drive, and the main series had only just begun to look appealing to me again after the big reset. I really hope these are just delays.

6. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I just wish they would digitally release Overdrive or something (maybe "leak" it :v: ) while the ship is sinking. That's one of the last things that needs to not see the light of day.

7. Rlan

Rlan

Oldbie
  8. Syn

Syn

So in case anyone is curious on the lawsuit between Archie/Sega and Narritive Ark, LLC. I'll share what I have here. This is via Sally Hogan on Tumblr who has been keeping an eye on the situation and documenting it:

http://theamazingsallyhogan.tumblr.com/post/157126289491/sonic-the-hedgehog-scott-fulop-narrative-ark

http://theamazingsallyhogan.tumblr.com/post/157995705781/minor-fuloparchiesonic-update

http://theamazingsallyhogan.tumblr.com/post/158510782771/what-the-hell-is-going-on-with-the-archie-case-it

http://theamazingsallyhogan.tumblr.com/post/158683813461/ok-now-it-looks-like-the-judge-in-the-archie-case

http://theamazingsallyhogan.tumblr.com/post/158683971236/so-hey-new-info-about-the-court-case-between

9. More or less this kind of sounds like a sequel to the Pendering, where Archie once again is being bit on the ass for having a really shitty paper trail for the last 20 years.

My question is, what fucking characters is Narrative Ark actually trying to lay claim to?

10. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    This is either going to get Scott Fulop or Penders arrested. If Fulop sold copyright to IP that didn't belong to him, despite having registered the copyright, that's still fraud. And if you have any sympathy for Penders then you should drink bleach you'll understand right off the cuff that he's out of some sizeable amount of money, could sue Fulop for selling him an ill-gotten and unusable IP. This would make a great Judge Judy episode.

Best case scenario Ken loses everything and his ED page will exist, which I am legit surprised does not.

@Ashram, I'm pretty sure the ones introduced post-SatAM in the mid-90s. Geoffrey St. John, Hershey the Cat, The entire Echidna Tribe, especially Lara-Su and Julie-Su, Knuckles' family, Sonic's family, excluding Uncle Chuck, Tails' parents, Sally's mother and brother, and probably some others.

11. Syn

Syn

No, he mostly suing for the Destuctix, Mammoth Mogule and the sword of acorns...Which Scott claims is a character when it's not, and it's mostly the sword of acorns Narritive Ark Entertainmen, LLC has listed down the most out of the 100 pages they claim as copyright infringement.

12. Yeah, that's why I specifically asked about Scott Fulop and not Penders, because I knew what Penders had sued for.

13. Syn

Syn

As it stands though, it looks like Archie has a much stronger case against Narritive Ark Entertainment, LLC. then they did against Penders, so there is that.

14. Like that blogger said though, it's still not much of a case since Archie STILL can't produce the document that says, "He was work-for-hire, he doesn't get any copyright claims".

15. Syn

Syn

True, that is there only downside right now, it hurts them. Just keep an eye on the situation. The court documents are also in the public records to look at as well, if you want to keep a faster eye on the situation.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The funny thing is, if it weren't for it being Sonic and actually liking the comics, I would be rooting against Archie comics. They really suck as a company.

17. David The Lurker

David The Lurker

For some mysterious reason... Administrator
    Fulop created a company and transferred his copyrights to that company. He did not sell it to a third party, let alone Ken Penders. I'm sure there are legal reasons why going to court as a company and not an individual make things easier. I know Ken mentioned talking to other creators over the possibility of using their characters in The Lara-Su Chronicles, but I don't think he's said if anything ever came of that, or even if he would pay them upfront and not offer some small percentage of sales.

Since they were on this rodeo once before, it makes sense that they would have a stronger case. They know what didn't work, and can avoid those pitfalls. Whether or not it will work this time is still up in the air.

Which makes you stop and think. We, the consumer, became mad at Archie and Ken Penders for halting the story Ian Flynn was working on. But if you were in Ken's shoes and realized that something you created was still making a company money, and there was a way you could still make money from your work? Of course you would follow through. The difference between Ken and Fulop is that Ken made this a spectacle, always talking about it online, saying he was going to make something new with it, and throwing Ian under the bus. If he had presented it to the fanbase as him wanting to secure copyrights for reprint residuals, and didn't say anything about Ian and his work aside from a sympathetic statement, we wouldn't be sitting here freaking out about him. Even if he revealed down the line he was working on the Lara-Su Chronicles.

Scott Fulop, as far as I know, hasn't made any public statements about this. And he's also doing it after the damage to the book has been done. He becomes a more sympathetic character here. And this entire story, staring with Ken and continuing on? I feel it would be much bigger news in the comic world if it wasn't about Sonic the Hedgehog and Archie Comics. A major publisher loses the rights to a slew of characters, ones that were connected to a licensed book to boot? That's crazy to think about it. Ken is right about one thing - a behind-the-scenes telling of everything that went on in the Sonic offices, including all this, would make for a fascinating read.

18. Syn

Syn

Guys and Gals...Sonic #291...Is cancelled...

https://previewsworld.com/support/previews_docs/orderforms/MAY17_Cancel.txt

19. Zeether

Zeether

Probably time to start begging IDW I guess. Archie's basically saying they've dropped the whole series at this rate.

20. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

God fucking dammit, Archie. You had to fuck up so hard it got a good comic cancelled? Fuck everything.