don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Pretty sure someone one here in a past thread knew who wrote Hydrocity and it wasn't Jacko. Can't remember the name.

Lol vague :v:

2. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    NOPE. I love Chemical Plant but Generations already had its way with it. Yes it was 6 years ago, but other zones deserve the revival too. What's weird is that 6 years in the 1990s felt like a looooooong time at the time. I mean, that's the same time span between Sonic 1 and Sonic R.

3. i think it's just a simple reference to the classic Sonic drowning jingle, the artwork for Sonic there isn't even new as it's from the Sonic screensaver set.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well yes that Sonic art isn't new but it was spliced over Labyrinth, that was the thing.

5. Aquova

Aquova

Professional nerd in training Member
    USA
    Ahhhh I gotcha Taxman.

[​IMG]

Emerald Hill Zone confirmed!!! :v:

6. Deef

Deef

Pretty sure it's announcing the return of the drowning music, Tee-ified.

Hydrocity.

Can let the post pass without saying it. Water level. Hydrocity. It has the space, it has the variety, it has the music. All it needs is more exploration; that's literally the only thing it was lacking imo. A Mania remix would address exactly that.

And it's Hydrocity. It stands apart for water levels. And music.

Hydrooooocityyyyyyyy

7. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Surprised nobody posted the Famitsu interview scan?

Translations from the interview say the game started development in 2015 (pretty sure Stealth in an different interview somewhere also cited that year Mania began production too), out of a desire to have a new 2D Sonic that wasn't a remake. (Despite the game having a significant bulk of returning stages, but I digress.) The rule of thumb for artwork for the game was to be "above the Genesis, but below the Saturn". Gameplay is similar to Sonic 3, and all of that game's elemental shields (Fire, Bubble, Lighting) are confirmed for the game. Apparently there's not much new from the interview otherwise.

We might also have our first confirmation of bonus stages, the Mirage Saloon screenshot with Sonic and Tails on the left page has what look like white stars circling above it.

The red "23" number and kanji text near the top-left page reportedly means "23 years" in Japanese. Sonic 3 & Knuckles was released 23 years ago, so this may be referring to Mania being the first game of its type (Genesis-styled Sonic game, I guess) since then. (3D Blast / 3D: Flickies Island and Sonic 4 am cry.)

8. That first Flying Battery screenshot has one of the magnetic platforms with a magnetic spike ball right above it. Oh, hell...

9. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    I guess Taxman's post means no Labyrinth Zone then (praise be to Jesus).

Seriously though we're not far out from release and I'm really looking forward to Mania. Hope Hydrocity makes it in! Ice Cap Zone with a banging Tee Lopes rendition of the track too if you're reading this Taxman. Though zones are probably locked in now so the request is probably pointless. I can still dream though!

10. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Amidst the Forces showcase, the small showcase clip of Mania in the Nintendo Direct confirms bonus stages as returning. The first clip of Sonic and Tails in Green Hill has stars forming above the checkpoint when Sonic activates it.

11. AutiMatic

AutiMatic

#SaturdayAMKillSession
    This game is shaping up really nicely! Great job to Taxman and the rest of the team!

Aquatic Ruin or Hydrocity are both wins imo. Aquatic Ruin is a bit short originally and the water is completely avoidable if you stay on top, so a remix with added level gimmicks and dangers will flesh it out. Hydrocity is a large zone...and leaves a lot to work with. Once you were on a path, you were on that path until an intersecting portion of the level came, allowing for short cuts to be taken.

I'd be even more thrilled if Ice Cap was included, but had more lower layers dedicated to the water portions of the zone (and more snowboarding)! Marble Garden, Starlight, and Mystic Cave Zones for honorable mentions! >_> and Azure Lake...*cough* and cheers to the new levels/tropes!

*crossing fingers hoping for Hyper to make a triumphant return as he is canon*

12. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Thanks, I needed a laugh today.

Oh, you were serious?

13. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Seeing those stars above the Sonic 1 style post is so weird! (I know it's modified and they fit the onter star on too, but still)

This is awesome btw, Mirage Saloon Piano cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfkP6i_0nug

14. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Cool! Sweet! And Catchy! Member
    Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    Here is an awesome piano cover of Studiopolis made by the same person as that Mirage Saloon cover. I really love piano remixes!

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP9x4XSn9BU[/media]

15. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Sonic Mania live stream
    https://youtu.be/RIOEu4QXaBU

16. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Was nice to watch Gene play Mania and he played through acts 1&2 of Green Hill with Knuckles. We hadn't seen much footage of Knuckles in GH until now.

17. RikohZX

RikohZX

I guess this makes Knuckles in Sonic 1 official now? :v:

18. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    *cough*

19. RikohZX

RikohZX

Dagnabit Stealth, I have to admit I forgot about that.
    Albeit mostly because I never had a phone I could really play it on.

20. AutiMatic

AutiMatic

#SaturdayAMKillSession
    What's wrong with Hyper as a reward for obtaining 14 emeralds? As long as I have the option to go from Super to Hyper for as long as I have over 50 rings...I don't see what the issue would be. I mean Super Tails has to exist by standard merit, somehow...right?