don't click here

A great idea for a Knuckles-only 3D game

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Endgame, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I don't know if it's just me, but though I do enjoy the Sonic series as a whole, I think there's scope for there to be different side series set in the Sonic universe, but with a different type of character other than a fast hedgehog who loves to BOOST all day long (or use guns and vehicles - or their own arms //forums.sonicretro.org/public/style_emoticons/default/argh.gif). But let me explain...

As it's been clearly seen - especially in the Sonic Forces thread - many of us aren't happy with the direction the hedgehog is going in, and we've been wanting to be able to play as different characters for a change [in a 3D game] since Sonic Adventure/2 (Boom and SRB2 doesn't really count) - but not as a lousy gimmick like Heroes; and it's clear we DON'T want another tedious emerald-hunting game (though I'll get to that shortly). So I thought wouldn't it be great if we were able to have an actual Knuckles game to which Sonic would be a side character for a change (also more on that)? So here would be my idea:

• This could be a free-roaming SP game set on the Floating Island/Angel Island, and I thought it would be ideal to use the engine for Zelda: Breath of the Wind! Imagine the possibilities you could have if you merged the 2 together!
    • Eggman can be trying to steal the Master Emerald again, but this time Knuckles has finally decided to store it back in Hidden Palace again - and has been preparing for Robotnik/Eggman's return by creating defences of his own (I'm thinking along the lines of STC here perhaps).
    • As the above mentioned, this could go 2 ways: either have Angel Island be used to Knux's advantage (and the badniks are the threat to deal with) - which would be more tricky to do practical-wise - or to have both the Island's defences AND the badniks to deal with.
    • Possibly make emerald hunting PART of a proper story - to give his part in the story some real meaning; which brings me on to Sonic
    • Sonic could be the one battling Eggman head on, but only as part of the story, rather than controlling him directly - which would save on having to split the game between to playing modes/mechanics, so we can focus on Knuckles. The reason for this would be to add realism in that Knux probably wouldn't be able to hold off ALL of Eggman's forces by himself, so he would need help. Perhaps Knux could join with Sonic along the way at times, and Sonic will occasionally open pathways us using his speed to let Knuckles through.
    • Another 2 possible ideas - depending on if you'd want it again - is to possibly go back into the history of Angel Island again, and maybe even the origin of Angel Island (and the Chaos Emeralds) itself! OR, we don't have to mention Tikal and the Echidna history ever again! //forums.sonicretro.org/public/style_emoticons/default/v.png
    If other games, TV shows and films can do it (the side characters being the main protagonist (eg. Luigi's Mansion [that's all I could think of at the moment]), then why not the Sonic series? Just not anything like Shadow the Hedgehog!

Ps. Why don't the emoticons appear to be working?

2. They HAD a perfect 3D Knuckles game.

Imagine Sonic Unleashed with Knuckles instead of the Werehog.

He would get pieces of the Master Emerald instead of Chaos Emeralds to fix the planet pieces and help contain Dark Gaia. The beat em up style would work far better with Knuckles, just change some stretchy moves. The platforming with his gliding and climbing would allow for interesting paths in 3d space.

Sonics style would remain mostly intact, with no transformation crap or Chip, and the story could be Sonic and Knuckles learning more on the lore of the Emeralds and how they connect with the planet, along with putting aside their pride to work together to save the planet.

Sounds pretty sweet to me.

3. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Make a high speed character action game, more open stages dedicated to lite skirmish brawling and exploration using Knuckles climbing, digging, swimming, and gliding, but without abandoning fast. Built for the Switch and PC/Move motion controls. Lets you use the controller halves to throw different kind of punches and block while moving normally.

Call it Knuckles & Knuckles. :ruby:

4. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Problem there would be is that it'd still be a mediocre beat em up, just with a more likable character.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I've been saying that for years, only they would have to put more of an emphasis on platforming rather than fighting.

However a BotW open world game taking place on Angel Island would be pretty awesome. Maybe the shards scattered and are being guarded by Eggman's forces. Each zone could be kind of like a dungeon, and then they could do some other things to expand on the gameplay, like powerups and skills and secret passages. You could take on the zone dungeons in any order you want, glide from mountain tops, dig for treasure.

Only issue I can see is that Angel Island is uninhabited, so there wouldn't be much in the way of NPC interaction, and those sorts of games thrive off that.

6. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Just do as SA1 does. Angel Island's back in the drink, people have come to see what's going on. Add an Eggman invasion with some robot squad leaders, some of the main cast for whatever contrived reason they get to be in the current games, and you've at least got a few people to interact with. You'd still not get any villages unless the island spent a significant amount of time out of the sky, though.

I'm not sure a BotW-style game would be totally viable for Knuckles, though, since his movement speed and abilities far eclipse those of Link even in that game, and I'm not entirely sure what kind of hardware it would take to get a game that is as massive and gorgeous as Breath of the Wild (or even looks like the current Sonic aesthetic) to render every detail at the speeds that Sonic characters move. The only other option would be to limit Knuckles' own abilities, and that would inevitably bring up the problem of him feeling comparatively weak to, say, SA1 Knuckles.

This speaks nothing of the numerous problems that would occur regardless of the game's actual quality, ranging from "They just copied Nintendo again!" to "Why make a Knuckles game when you can't get Sonic right?".

7. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

I think what would make more sense for Knuckles is something in the vein of a 3D Mario game where you can explore every facet of Angel Island or other environments freely. The formula of Super Mario 64 is old hat, but the formula worked so well for a reason, and it'd make sense for Knuckles in terms of exploring Angel Island.

The hub world can be based on Angel Island Act 1, with the lush greenery and this sense of a glorious, Garden of Eden-esque environment, and from there you can navigate through easy foes, binge on rings to gain extra lives, etc. From the Angel Island hub you will be able to access the other zones, which will range from 3D versions of classic Sonic 3 & Knuckles zones and brand new ones.

I think Knuckles' top speed is going to be akin to Spyro the Dragon when he's charging in the classic Spyro games, so he moves quickly but not at Sonic's level. In addition to traditional jumping and homing attack moves Knuckles will also have brawling moves as an option for dispensing with enemies that can't be eliminated through a jump or homing attack. This will give the player options when it comes to fighting foes and allow for greater varieties of enemies that will require specific moves to defeat. Naturally, Knuckles' gliding ability will be executed much like Spyro's, in order to get to new places that jumping won't get you to.

This take on the Super Mario 64 formula will also allow players to take full advantage of Knuckles' climbing ability in 3D in greater ways than the Sonic Adventure games. Use it to get to strange and new places, encounter unique foes, and discover powerups and ring monitors where you least expect it. This also allows for an easy recovery if you mess up with your gliding, because Knuckles can latch onto the wall and climb up to where you wanted to go. No more cheap falling to your death!

In line with traditional Sonic there will be a "beginning" and "ending" of each stage, but there should be many ways to get there, and the fun is in exploring and finding everything you need to find. The trick is to make this formula work with a plot (probably not too hard, Eggman and Master Emerald shenanigans would probably do), and you can make a memorable Knuckles game out of it.

8. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    GTAV? Not to suggest that an open world Sonic is at all a good idea, but streaming high detail geometry in games with vehicles whose speeds exceed 100mph was a last gen problem.

9. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Why not get a small team together and start up a fan game based on your idea? and than you'll get what you want.
    But yeah I know that's easier said than done.

10. Miles Wolf

Miles Wolf

From Spain with love... And rings. Member
    www.sonicreikai.com
    This.

A system like in the 2D classics. Why changing the game mode? Make the same game, the same levels, but with parts where Knux could play with his special abilities (climbing, destroying rocks...).

And yes, Knuckles would had been a MUCH better surprise in Sonic Unleashed than the werehog. A game where Sonic & Knuckles have to save the world? YES PLEASE. Even Knux would had fit perfectly in the story, knowing about the Gaia Temples...

11. winterhell

winterhell

There is one tiny tiny bit of a problem with any form of 'idea' - executing its implementation. You need people capable of, at the very basic level, programming, art and audio.
    Building a Death Star in the solar system is a great idea. You just need to come up with a 25-digit cash sum. A minor setback really.

This.

That being said, if you want to establish a team for a game with Knuckles with 3D graphics, I am willing to join to program it. There, now you mostly need just artists.

12. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

I am willing to help write it if any dialogue or cutscenes are desired.

13. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Unfortunately for everyone here, I have literally zero knowledge with anything remotely involved with designing or programming :(. I'm just an ideas man really; I supposed you could say, a "wishful thinker".

Sorry about that! ^^;

Ps. What rebelcheese said is precicely just what I was talking about here.

14. winterhell

winterhell

Ah don't worry about that. You can still recruit and organize the appropriate personnel.

15. rebelcheese

rebelcheese

I feel ya man. I've been living with a dream of a retelling of the three classic Sonic games in 3D for the last few months. XD My programming and designing skills, however, are lacking, and I don't trust myself with keeping a team together. I can write, and I'm pretty good with music placement (this is different from composing), but I'm not capable of much else.

If you can get it together for Knuckles though I will gladly hop on-board. I can already picture Eggman-and-Knuckles conversations in my head... something tells me that Knuckles will have to earn some respect from our favorite mad scientist...