don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Only if you're invincible.

2. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Obviously the answer is to delay both. Pretty sure Sonic Team could do with as many delays as they can get anyway. :v:

3. Misinko

Misinko

Bettering the world, one bugfix at a time! Member
    Cornland, USA
    Sonic 2 SMS Cleanup
    Adding on to this, you've also always been able to gain extra height while holding the jump button, no matter what animation you're currently in.

4. redhotsonic

redhotsonic

Also known as RHS Tech Member
    United Kingdom
    YouTuber
    An evident bug in the game. Notice that Sonic lands on the monitor rather than the floor and because of that, I bet some flags didn't get set so when he passes the flames (so the log above him hasn't quite burnt out yet), Sonic still thought he was on the log and therefor teleported up onto it. If he touched the floor rather than the monitor, I bet that wouldn't have happened. This is just a guess (and I'm talking in "Sonictouchfloor" terms from Sonic 1 lol).

5. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    GHZ Remixed looks astoundingly good. Pretty great actually. Like an unseen beta build of the zone straight out of Sonic 1 circa 1991. Very faithful to the original spirit of the games and proof that Taxman and Stealth both hold the talent to deliver a fantastic game. So far this game is impressing the hell out of me and I can't wait to delve in to Mania come release and explore the other remixed stages as well as the new original content the latter of which has also looked extremely impressive and fantastic. Everything they've shown thus far from Studiopolis to Mirage Saloon to this is just really, really great and I have high hopes that this'll be amazing. A game of the year contender possibly.

That said place me firmly in the camp that this will miss the Spring 2017 release window and be delayed. Taxman tweeted extremely recently that there's "a lot of work ahead" which strongly hints that this game is going to miss Spring. We're on the eve of Spring as it is, with next week marking the final week of Winter so with Spring right around the corner and Taxman stating outright that there's still a substantial amount of work remaining I just can't see this being ready for April/May. Taxman's inference is that the team needs far more than a month or two to finish Mania so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a delay in to the Summer or to be honest even Autumn. Sega's new creative development ethos is to delay games if need be so theoretically they'd be extremely warm to the idea of delaying the game for quality purposes - so I think the game's going to miss Spring.

You never know however, as Taxman's tweet was admittedly pretty cryptic. Guess we'll find out more on the 16th. Excited for the event.

6. synchronizer

synchronizer

It's just too bad that Mirage Saloon's music is basically a redo of Studiopolis's theme in a different key. I thought that the soundtrack would have been more creative.

7. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    For me we'll see the return of time travel, that's why the music is similar.

8. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Id rather see the game delayed , even if till winter or next spring as long as it gets the polish we so very much want. Making a sonic game is not easy ! I thought id finisn my fangame in 2 to 3 years when I first started working on it, 11 years later, and still so far away ! But yeah , they have a team so its not so bad. ehehe
    I wonder how much the budget will balloon though.

9. Lythatic

Lythatic

SJ, California
    Some SA2 Review that's taking Forever
    I would be fine with a Delay, if it means more content and more quality, I'd be fine with it

10. ezodagrom

ezodagrom

It kinda looked like he used the dropping flames as a "rope"?

11. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Already mentioned but I'm recapping 2 bugs I noticed:
    - Incorrect animation when going backwards on a corkscrew (probably a very easy oversight depending on the system)
    - Sonic walks on falling log pieces (and the system they use for player movement on bridges means he runs along them smoothly wherever they are apparently, even spread apart and falling).

I'm speaking like I know what's up with them but I have no clue in reality. :v:

12. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I figured the running up a falling bridge thing was a feature, not a glitch. :v:

I think the corkscrew animation error has been known for awhile, and was mentioned that it relates to a gimmick in a later level.

13. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    This doesn't bother me at all, I'm not sure why people complain about that over the wormy sounding invincibility theme. Both songs are good, and they fit the themes they're trying to represent even if they ultimately follow the same progression. The majority of people who aren't Cinnosu aren't going to notice it without being told.

A few months ago I made a comment somewhere that we haven't really seen why the game deserves the title "Sonic Mania". With the Blue Spheres tease, I think they're starting to open the curtain a bit and maybe after the presentation on Thursday we'll have a better idea of scope of the game. They have a lot of content from the previous games available to them via the previous Retro Engine ports, so I'm hoping they have a decent amount of bonus content that makes use of it.

14. Felik

Felik

Well that's what usually happens when a single composer is in charge of all the music. Tee is an extremely talented guy, no doubt here but having just one more talented musician on the team certainly would help immensely. Oh well.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Careful though, in 20 years we don't want another Sonic 3 on our hands :v:

16. Hey, if Sonic CD got away with having two composers without any issues, we're fine here. :v

17. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Not every composer can compose an entire game and have all their music turn out as well as if they would have only done a few tracks for the game though. Tomoya Ohtani's work on the Sonic games is the perfect example of this. All of his work on Sonic Unleashed, Colours, and Generations is fantastic. But for Lost World he composed pretty much all of the music outside of cutscene music and the result was that aside from one or two tracks none of the music was nearly as memorable as the music he did for the other Sonic games that he worked on.

Also, about the Studiopolis and Mirage Saloon similarities, it's been pointed out before :v:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtmlI0ajLU8

18. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    1, 2, CD, 3, K... 4?????

I mean, It sounds like the kind of SEGA compromise they'd make. "Five classic zones, five new zones!" It'd actually be a good way to redeem some of the actually new concepts in episode 2, at least.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Probably going to be 5 remixed levels and 4 original levels, with a final stage of sorts that may be original but will call back to the death egg pretty heavily.

Generations had 9 levels as well. I doubt they'll ever make a call back to Sonic 4 though.

After seeing GHZ heavily reference it's original layouts, I'm curious how they'll handle a Sonic 3 stage. They were fairly complex so putting basically the whole act in would make the level 90% call back which would be unfortunate.

20. synchronizer

synchronizer

A studio into a desert? mmmmmmmmmm

Anyway, it's fine, but ideally we'd have a little more variety. Reusing themes in this way is something that is done for movies more often than games.
    I agree that Sonic Lost World's music was sub-par, and it makes sense that having only one composer may be a factor that contributes to the lack of variety. Hopefully the overall package will be good though.