don't click here

Project AXSX (2013 and Beyond)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Andrew75, Apr 25, 2013.

Are you interested in playing project AXSX?

1. YES, count me in, I would love to play this game.

261 vote(s)
    84.2%
  2. I may play the game, (not sure how I feel about it yet.)

43 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. Nope! Game looks like shit. I love only modern HD games.

7 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    I don't know if anyone is still following any of this. I'm not sharing all the levels, but I thought this one was pretty cool.
    Man it's a lot of tedious work getting the textures assigned manually 1 by 1 in engine, been pulling a lot of all nighters.
    Apparently this magma level had blocks that sonic could ride on, than they would fall off into the magma, but before that sonic has to jump to safety at the last moment. (However since this is a V40 Def file, I can not check how the blocks actually moved, there are clues about what the blocks did inside the .def files though.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I'm following what you post, I just don't know what else to say other than "Wow, that looks awesome" and "Release date when?". I love looking forward to seeing your progress, but I just don't have much to add to the conversation. Keep up the good work!

3. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    I've been ravenously devouring everything you've put out this whole time. I don't say anything because I don't have anything to say. If I did say something, it would probably be something along the lines of "Holy fucking shit, I wanna have your babies" :specialed:

4. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Hahahahaha.....looks over at Jc and Atendega,,,,,, ahahahahahahah ahhhhhaaaaaaaahhhhhh.
    ok no, Seriously. Thanks guys, also I was just being my old sarcastic self ( Insert any kind of Smiley face here) And YES make it a happy one !

5. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    I posted this video last week , Did I post it here on retro?! OMG ! I think that I must have forgot to do it !
    Anyways just running around this old test level in UDK for the hell of it. Wanted to show Sonic running into bumpers on the ground and some of the bounce back physics ect.
    The level didn't have any lighting at first so I stuck a light in at the last minute since the level was designed before engine lighting was apart of the plans. ( So no tweaking and that's why its kind of bright)

Normally I don't like to make videos like these because its showing something that isn't really done and not meant to be seen.
    (when sonic gets hurt, we normally had the player controls disabled for a moment when knocked back, The controls were enabled for debugging another issue which was fixed at that time and never disabled again because of the move to Unreal4)
    Seeing this video, some of you may think Sonic may be hard to control, I want to explain that its easy to control Sonic's movement, Every where Sonic traveled was on purpose. I wanted to show that depending on what parts of the star bumpers you hit would effect gameplay and send him flying in a specific direction.
    I wanted to end the video with sonic falling to his death lol and when rolling in the tube I wanted him to roll towards the screen.
    Cant wait till we can do this in unreal 4!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zGUoiNFxTs

6. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Just wanted to pop in for a second to say excellent work, Andrew75. I know a lot of us are very interested in your project and just lurk in the background, so I wanted to offer some encouragement and respect, whereas it would have otherwise gone unsaid. :)

7. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Showcase deleted

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  8. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Wow, what a treat for the Christmas period - an absolute deluge of new updates! = D Great to see more glimpses into what's going on with the project at the moment. Will have to find some time to catch up on what I've missed since my last post! For now I've just read the latest post and there's already some very interesting stuff in there - not least the moving blocks with eyes, which seem very much inspired by the Mario universe's Thwomp enemies.

Loving these glimpses into levels/test areas from the original that have never properly been seen before! I'll admit I'm also very curious to see your team's levels too when they're ready to be shown - although the genuine X-treme levels will be very interesting from a historical/research perspective and it'll be great to be able to explore them ourselves, I get the feeling the most fun part of the AXSX project in terms of actual gameplay is likely to be in the levels you've designed with the classic-style Sonic physics your engine replicates in mind. = )

9. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Merry X-mass to u too and a happy new year!! Also yeah I hope that you guys think that the custom levels for AXSX will be fun! There is one level from the original game that really shines in my mind more so than the rest. And that's a level which was seen in a magazine many years ago. The art direction for the stage is very simple and may not be considered to have good art direction by some. And its a very small little stage. The level in which I speak of is: The Egyptian level named Test_05c. the one with the sphinx statue. There are multiple versions of the level with different color schemes and slightly altered layouts. Whoever built the level really packed it full of interesting things to do! I wont go into the features now, You'll just have to wait till we get A playable build released to find out more , but let me tell you that what you can do in that level really blew my mind from a sonic Xtreme standpoint.

10. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Inspired By Unlimited Tree's Unlimited trees Sonic 1 Hack.
    Yes I was bored of AXSX! I'm Guilty !
    Here is the Original hack that inspired the 2.5D video you just watched or about to watch.
    http://shc.sonicresearch.org/sonic/en... I got a real kick out of it.

http://youtu.be/SXcDrvo70LM

11. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Hah. Call me crazy, but I actually kind of like the look of that. Reminds me of Angel Island or Jungle. You could make some really impressive looking layered setpieces with all the flexibility a 3D environment provides; I wonder what an all original level would look like in that engine.

12. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Thanks man!
    Here's some more Trees! This time Sonic is out for blood in: Unlimited Trees 2.5D Part 2!!! The Revenge!!! OMFG it's personal !!!
    Sonic's moving so fast the video capture software cant even keep up with the roll animation, lol
    http://youtu.be/YBRXXGpcnIU

13. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Heya guys sonicxtreme.com is the new website address! Sorry for any inconvenience! Xeniczone is working on the site and some things may be broken right now.

14. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Hey guys! Updates time, All levels are completed that can be completed.
    However there are a few missing Levels, and a few missing textures. I have the feeling that they are still out there and someone has them. And I would really appreciate it if someone would come forward and share what they have so we can finish off the last few missing levels.
    I have some .def files that have no .pcx Map layouts and have PCX map layouts but no definition files. Some of these levels are probably never going to be seen and will end up being lost to the sands of time forever.

Also kind of off topic, in Regards to the HXC leak that happened some years back, I believe the original folder structures had been lost. There were multiple RSRC folders containing a pcx folder and a def folder, and they were combined into a single PCX and DEF layout, this in turn seems to have over written files with the same file names but different contents causing the loss of some versions of some textures.
    I believe this because it seems many of the v37 folders are set up in very much the same way multiple RSRC folders and a pcx and def inside. When we did the V37 release, I wanted to keep the structure intact instead of combining things.
    So yes if anyone has any information on tracking someone down who has info or has a build of x-treme that has never been released publicly, please contact me. We are almost there !

If we wait too long, I'm afraid what ever is left of xtreme may just rot away and our opportunity will vanish forever.

15. Arkenova

Arkenova

Self-Proclaimed Queen of Shenangians Member
    East Coast USA
    DragonBlossom (Indie)
    @Andrew75: This is looking up pretty well and I look forward to more updates in the future. Hats off to you, dear creator and I wish you luck on finding some more on Xtreme's scrapped content. :)

16. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Thanks a bunch!
    I've been busy trying to reconstruct levels using some of the .pcx map layouts over here and combining them with some of the .def files that I have, and well I have some that look like they actually belong together. However they are only related to older versions of current .def files that we do have, and only some blocks are not defined and are missing.
    Its a good start.

17. You should deffo submit that unlimited trees into the next hacking contest!

18. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    lol hahha I wish I could, but its more like a fan game and not a hack.

19. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    SAGE then? :v:

20. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Maybe ! lol When is the next Sage anyways ?