don't click here

Sonic 06 PC Remake

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by S0LV0, Dec 8, 2015.

1. synchronizer

synchronizer

Not a bug: but Sonic shouldn't say the same thing repeatedly when going through multiple rings (based on what I saw in pre-demo videos for the original game.) Anyway, this looks pretty amazing: a Sonic 06 with a stable frame-rate, faster grinding, and a homing attack with gravity.

2. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    Just as frustratingly clunky as the original. And I mean that in the least offensive way possible--this is an impressively accurate recreation.

3. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Oh dear, they proooobably shouldn't be asking for donations for a fangame.

4. Turbohog

Turbohog

This is impressively and disturbingly accurate. And yeah, they probably shouldn't be asking for donations. It's not even really a fangame as much of a straight-up port of a game owned by Sega. I've noticed that donations are more common now for fangames, emulators, etc. though. It's really toeing the line.

5. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Maybe if the way they were asking was switched people might feel differently. Pateron seems to be the go-to "give me money for ____ project" and its legally in the grey.

Is that from trying it or just visuals alone? like to hear your thoughts on this Morph.

6. Dario FF

Dario FF

Tech Support Hotline Tech Member
    I have to second the concern over asking for donations in such a direct way*. A new name for the project should definitely be considered as well. Promoting a fan-game under the official name of the game just seems like legal trouble waiting to happen.

I don't have much interest on trying this out but I have to respect how accurate it seems to be and the amount of effort it must've taken to get to this point.

*: I don't necessarily agree with asking for donations in the first place due to the nature of the project, but it should definitely be more subtle if needed.

7. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    I tried it, and I played the original for kicks many years ago.

8. winterhell

winterhell

Asking for donations for a fan game is truly disgusting.

9. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    But Dario, how do you classify this as a fan game if its going to be a port similar to what Taxman and Stealth did for Sonic 1, 2 and CD mobile. that would also be classifying those as fan games as well right? (even though they are under a official SEGA moniker)

Someone on SSMB explained it the way I feel similar with:

Basically if you want to you can, but otherwise I don't see pressure to donate if you feel against it or just don't want to.

10. Codr

Codr

Cyprus
    Huge secret ;)
    I played the demo and it feels like Sonic 06 but without the slowdown, it's actually surprising how 1:1 the game play is to the original. This needs to continue to a full game and hopefully it will. However I don't know if it's just me but I remember Sonic accelerating a bit faster than what he does here. Don't take my word for it though it's been a while since I played Sonic 06. Kudos to the creator!

11. Dario FF

Dario FF

It's a game developed by fans not currently under contract with Sega, the owner of the franchise they're using. I'd never classify the Sonic 1, 2 and CD ports as fan games because they were contracted by Sega to do them.

12. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    Somebody asked me about this on my blog, so I'll just quote the entire blog post here verbatim

---

13. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    It's definitely impressive from what I've played, but I'm concerned about this specifically.
    [​IMG]
    Beta testing teams exist for a reason, and it's because the developers can easily fail to run across things as they become accustomed to playing through their projects a certain way. (Trust me, I learned this the hard way.) I think he and whomever he's working with should seriously consider having some sort of bug report system, especially if it really is his intention to improve Sonic 06 in some way. If he refuses we could easily end up with a version just as broken (if not more) than the original.

14. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    It should probably be noted that, at least last time I checked, the goal wasn't to make any major improvements, but to make a nearly 1:1 port and then release the source so people can tinker with it.

That being said, the biggest issue I encountered is getting caught on ground decorations. It seems like they're using the actual stage geometry for collision, instead of porting the collision from the original game, which is odd, as I thought libS06 included collision conversion.

15. winterhell

winterhell

There is a difference between saying 'No there aren't any bugs anymore' and 'I know dozens of bugs, let me fix those first, then we'll talk about more'. I think this case is the latter.

16. S0LV0

S0LV0

Sonic Generations Helpdesk Tech Member
    Spagonia
    Abusing SMPS
    They've made what looks like a conscious effort to tweak the controls to something resembling the demo, plus they showed off a video testing the unused items. Seems like they wouldn't have done either if there was no intention to improve the product.
    We can speculate all we want but what he literally said was "There's no need to report bugs because I know most of them." Needing to fix bugs he's aware of does not stop him from maintaining a list of reported bugs, and it's counter-productive to refuse reports regardless of circumstance. As I commented on the video, he can list bugs he's already aware of if he wants to avoid redundant reports.

17. Turbohog

Turbohog

hahahaha. Did he work for Sonicteam when they made this game originally? If he doesn't want to be bombarded with the same bug reports, he should just publish a list of known bugs. Then people can report bugs that aren't a part of that list.

I think the problem is less "I don't want to be pressured to donate" and more a question of ethics and legality. I understand these projects take time. If people receive donations, they will probably have more time to work on the projects. If people could pay me to work on fan projects, I'd gladly do it full time. However, it is very questionable legally and morally, for reasons I don't think I need to spell out. Honestly, asking for donations for a fan game (and emulator) is asking for trouble. I'm still surprised Nintendo hasn't given Cemu much grief.

18. Atendega

Atendega

Lesser Sea Sponge Member
    Comfy couch
    Collecting insults
    Well obviously the controls, having been reimplemented from scratch, are going to feel better now that there are some actual physics behind them. Though yeah, I suppose reimplementation of scrapped features counts as improvement, though really it's just returning it to where it should have been in the first place :v:

Regardless, I am concerned about the attitude about bugs. It would be great if Gistix could give us some clarification.

19. Dario FF

Dario FF

LibS06 Collision's class currently supports reading and saving collision files, importing geometry from FBX and generating the necessary Havok MOPP code (so the game actually performs collision detection). There's currently no exporter, but it should be fairly trivial to do one if they choose to do so, as there's barely anything else needed other than vertices and polygons inside.

20. Pokepunch

Pokepunch

UK
    A Sonic 2 Hack
    Has anybody got a mirror of this? Seems the Google Drive link has too much traffic and won't let me download it.