don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Meant to say Studiopolis. They're only a few letters apart in difference, after all. :v

My mistake, I actually intended to say the "Continue" jingle, not the Chaos Emerald jingle (misassociated it, as it sometimes plays after you get a Continue following the Special Stages).

Wow so many goofs today. >.<

Equating a question that asks why a re-used jingle was used over making one from scratch to downplaying the difficulty of a getting an entire videogame project off the ground is a pretty big leap.

Unless you're not being serious, for what it's worth, I can't tell.

2. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Well, the concept of continues basically don't exist in Sonic the Hedgehog anymore, so it's not too odd that the continue jingle has gone away. Although it'd be cool to hear it come back in some variety.

Truthfully, I don't like the emerald jingle being repurposed for 1-ups, either. Nor do I particularly care for the 1-up mix of the emerald jingle. But seeing as Special Stages don't really exist in sonic anymore, I guess it's better for that sound effect to change purpose rather than going away entirely.

3. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Never take Slingerland too seriously, he can be right up there with Aaron with the trolling sometimes. (thats a compliment btw, don't send the SEGA ninjas after me)

4. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    I kinda miss the Sonic 1/2 act clear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pH0T8AzSic

And the main Sanic theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf7ybkpMBNQ

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I do like the Sonic 1/2 Invincibility theme, but the Sonic 1/2 End Act jingle never did it for me, perhaps because Sonic 3's has just become too much of a staple.

Funny though, Sonic R used the Sonic 1/2 End Act jingle on the Chaos Emerald Results screen. I feel like that's a nice way to incorporate both songs.

6. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Um...No. Never. It's the one consistent thing besides the Emerald jingle that brings any consistency to the series. I get nervous at the announcement of a new Sonic game because there's a change that the Act Clear jingle is different. It pisses me off whenever it's changed. I was especially worried with Sonic Mania until I saw the first play-through...what a relief that was!

7. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    [​IMG]

8. Reported.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Alright, enough of the offtopic spamming, I don't care who's doing it. =P

10. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    In case any of you are wondering how big the CE statue is, from a Sonic stream earlier today:

[​IMG]

It's huge.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Pretty cool looking, but why the blue eyeliner?

12. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Green screen effects being wack.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ah, that's a relief. Thought it was bootleg quality for a second (or Aaron was playing with blue paint earlier)

14. Liraxus

Liraxus

Some shmuck Member
    Idiotville
    Nothing, really.
    That Sonic Mania statue looks beautiful! Wasn't expecting it to be that size for the price it offers.

Then again, I was one of the unfortunate gits that thought he was lucky to have actually scored a pre-order on the Fallout 4 Pipboy, that thing was NOT worth the price tag.

15. I have to thank IGN for finally putting up those gameplay videos. Not only showing more of the levels, but also giving me the possibility to rip some more sprites out of them
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Tails is an adorable little runt.

It's gonna feel so good to play a Sonic game at 60fps.

17. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    I keep seeing the 60fps thing being thrown around like it's a big deal. Call me crazy, but I thought the original games always ran at 60fps. It's been a minute since I've played on actual hardware, but at the very least, emulators definitely run at that frame rate.

18. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    The original games do run at 60fps, but almost all of the sprite animations do not because it would require a lot of space and graphics memory for all of the animation frames. So the big selling point here is very smooth character animations.

19. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Kinda, most console games that run at "60fps" up to this generation, actually run at 30 FPS, so yeah, ultra smooth sonic will be fun, but might take some getting used to.

20. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Pretty sure the sprite animations aren't animated at 60fps. It would be pretty fucking insane if they were.