don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    Not much I can add to what's being said, but as someone who published a game that's been at least slightly modded in the past, I thought I would pop in and confirm the dicey nature of these sorts of things.

Personally I love how companies like iD Software, Valve, and Bungie embrace modding communities, but it should be noted that they put in preparations for mods from the get-go. (For example, Classic Doom's framework was specifically built to be more accommodating for mods, whereas Wolfenstein 3D - iD's previous project - was not.) However, it's a risk/reward sort of thing that not every business may want to undertake. A company may rightfully decide that they don't want to invest in additional time/resources for the mere potential that interesting mods will crop up. Or, they may simply want to focus all of their attention on new projects. So while it's always cool when heavy modding is possible, it's not necessarily something that they owe us. It should always be a choice.

2. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    How about you all take whatever is released and enjoy it. :) :) :)

3. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    That explains why nobody's ever modded Sonic CD Remastered on PC! :specialed:

Even as a Game Maker user, (lol) I agree with Strife that it's a conscious decision on the developer's part to leave modding possibilities open in a game. Years ago, I was making a Sonic engine in GM that could be modded mostly without GM, unless you wanted to add new abilities/gimmicks/terrain types in the source; made it halfway there with a working map editor, all external assets, fully changeable character config INIs, then my brain kinda broke on limited external scripting for enemy/boss behavior. (Could probably do it now, but back then? Ouch. :psyduck: ) Needless to say, that was an awesome learning experience, even if it left me with a half-finished, hilariously busted thing I can't really brag about.

So judging from my limited experience with programming/scripting, it's probably an incredible challenge in most cases for developers to leave the internals open enough for heavy modification without in-house tools. A challenge that's not always worth undertaking, depending on the game.

Every line of this is very mind-opening! I appreciate you took your time to give us a peak into this stuff, Stealth.

4. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    You should totally pitch Sonic Maker to Sega if you haven't already.

5. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    Oh my gosh. Desert Dazzle, dat you?

Also, the commentary seems awkward as all hell.

7. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    DD lives. Papa bless, y'all. Can't wait for this danged game.

8. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Fang the sniper sighting

Holy cow that looks great

9. Biofrost

Biofrost

Environment artist at Sony Bend Member
    Oregon
    Env artist on Days Gone for ps4
    Level looks awesome! though something seems off about the start up run animation for knuckles. Something about his arms..

10. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    I never noticed the COPE/CPU train in Studiopolis before. Is that a new one or has nobody gone to that area before?

11. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    I really hope they don't release anything more of the game. I want to go into the game without knowing anything, like I did when I was a child, and avoiding the internet until release day isn't exactly an option.

I considered not watching this video just now, but then figured I was going to see it anyway so I may as well watch it.

12. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Oh sweet summer child, we finally get an American Southwest desert level in classic! That gun....mmmMMM. We missed you Desert Dazzle. Nack, Bean, and Bark really have been wanted a long time. Digging the themed Sonic 1 badniks, and this Collision Chaos meets Music Plant level design.

Knuckles' gait is a bit wonky though, but I dig he takes most of his movement and palette from Chaotix. At least we're getting something from that game...

Doesn't look like the other characters have finished sprite sheets yet. There were a couple of places in Studipolis where it wasn't Knuckles sprites.

Sonic & Tails mode is here too, though we pretty much knew it was coming. Now to see if we can actually get 2 players this time around, unlike the mobile versions.

Only thing that's kind of bugging me about Mirage Saloon is the music feels like it's not using enough traditional southwest instruments. The horns are good, but I expected more, like harmonica or steel guitar on top of it.

Sonic fans continue to Make Sonic Great Again.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    No that was there, you might have missed it but it's been commented on.

But yes desert dazzle finally lives. And so glad to see Knuckles and Tails, very suprised seeing knuckles complete overhaul though. Also you can tell they still have work to do. Knuckles continued his glide after bouncing off the studiopolis bumpers, and the TV animation after the hornet truck still shows Sonic's sprites (I still hate the looks of that section). Other than that though it's looking great. Can't wait to see more.

14. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    And just like that. I've lost my shit. ALL OF IT.

This is not a drill people. After 24 years, we finally have Dust Hill Zone (Sure, Desert Dazzle, w/e). I know I'll get backlash for this, but I. DON'T. GIVE. A. FUCK. Btw, that thing with the eyes following Tails at the end of the level is totally the boss. This demo is trolling.

Speaking of "southwest" sounding music: Just insert Aquatic Ruin's music here as was originally intended. The CRT filter is strange. I get it, but I'm all about maximizing visuals, not producing fake leaks.

EDIT: The GOOD, BAD, and the UGLY whistle from the theme (& Aquatic Ruin) IS in the Mirage Saloon music! I now bow down to Tee Lopes!!!I already loved his work, but I'm wondering if any one else actually understands this detail! This has just made up for everything, even the MJ mystery.

15. I'm really liking the gimmicks in Mirage Saloon, like the gun, but again I'm not really vibing on the level design, and the music doesn't really fit imo. It has that same jazzy brass dance-y feel of the Studiopolis music. Still excited to see more though.

16. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    the coolest gimmick in the zone is the shattering loop.

Also, the way the loop shatters reminds me of the particle shatter of the platforms in Botanic Base from KC. Possible KC zones incoming?

17. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Desert Dazzle?

Screw that noise.

DUST HILL LIVES AGAIN!

(I literally shouted "TaxStealth you insane bastards!" out of sheer joy when the level appeared on screen.)

18. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    AHHHH, I love the melting pinball bumpers and Tails' new flying animation and is that a CRT screen filter? and I NEED THIS GAME IMMEDIATELY.

EDIT: By the way, at one point while talking about Knuckles, the SEGA lady starts to talk about how he can break through walls. I wonder if that means there WILL be Knuckles-exclusive paths?

19. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    The way she said it implies so. Knuckles can at least access secrets if not pathways.

We're also talking about the guys who added completely optional Tails/Knux only paths to Sonic 1 and 2, when even Sonic Team didn't do so back in the 90s (s2&K). I have great faith in them.

20. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    While it's great seeing new content especially Tails and Knuckles I have some gripes with the direction the animations are going. I don't know if this is a result of me watching the video in LD but both Tails and Knuckles seem to suffer with Sonic CD animation where the characters look stiff and have no weight to them. Simply making their body and head bounce a pixel or two will fix this. As for knuckles he looks like he's flapping his arms and hands when walking. Please don't go in that direction, Knuckles design is meant to be power, if you have him walking like a delicate flower it takes away his persona.

Mirage Saloon is looking great however I'm not keen on how barren it is. Maybe it being barren is part of it's theme but that's not something I find interesting which is the same reason why I think Ice Cap Zone is one of the most dull levels in the classic Sonic series. Perhaps it would be better if the burgundy background wasn't so repetitive.