don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Retromags were actually quite nice overnight as they released the Game Players issue from the same period:

http://retrocdn.net/index.php?title=File%3AGamePlayers_US_0712.pdf&page=22

we've actually had scans of this page for years, but never attached to the rest of the magazine and dated. This is a totally different publisher using the "Sonic Chaotic" name (albeit with footage from Sonic Ride - now we have a rough date for that too!).

2. Felik

Felik

In Sonic Physics guide here on retro it is said that Sonic's max speed is 16 pixels per second. Can someone actually confirm that because I believe the value is actually 32 p/s because 16 p/s feels way too slow.

3. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    32 pixels/second is also way too slow.

Sonic's max speed when accelerating from a standstill on flat ground is 6 pixels/frame (360 pixels/second, or 9 m/s).

A flame dash or a Hyper Dash puts Sonic at 8 pixels/frame (480 pixels/second, or 12 m/s).

Super/Hyper Sonic's max speed when accelerating from a standstill on flat ground is 12 pixels/frame (720 pixels/second, or 18 m/s). A fully charged Spindash or Peelout also puts Sonic at this speed.

The camera's maximum horizontal pan speed in Sonic 1, 2, and CD is 16 pixels/frame (960 pixels/second, or 24 m/s). Allowing diagonal movement, the camera's maximum pan speed in Sonic 1, 2, and CD is 22.6 pixels/frame (1357.6 pixels/second, or 33.9 m/s).

The camera's maximum horizontal pan speed in Sonic 3K is 24 pixels/frame (1440 pixels/second, or 36 m/s). Allowing diagonal movement, the camera's maximum pan speed in S3K is 33.9 pixels/frame (2036.5 pixels/second, or 50.9 m/s).

Sonic technically does not have a maximum speed, as any sufficiently steep slope will allow him to accelerate infinitely. However, because of the way numbers are stored in the game, his horizontal speed cannot exceed 128 pixels/frame (7680 pixels/second, or 192 m/s). Allowing diagonal movement, his maximum speed is 181 pixels/frame (10861 pixels/second, or 271.5 m/s).

4. Felik

Felik

Oh thank you for the info.

5. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
  6. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Bootleg stuff. Wonder what's actually on it...

Sidenote: See the notch on the side? That's a clear giveaway that it's bootleg. That notch is only present on Japanese (and South Korean) cartridges, since the system has a physical lock that holds the cartridge in; however, the cartridge is missing the ridges that are normally present on JP carts. The only legitimate fully-region free cartridge produced by Sega that I know of is Sonic & Knuckles.

7. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    Yeah, I know it's bootleg, but I've never seen that one, and I'm curious about which game is inside :P

8. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
  9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

It always surprises me that there's even much of a market for Megadrive games these days. Surely there's not really any money in it?

10. JK FlipFlop

JK FlipFlop

Chester, PA
    Retrobeast, an album of SEGA Genesis music.
    If I saw a MegaDrive at a yard sale or thrift shop, I would snap it up in a heart beat. So would many others. Yes, there is still a market for retro/classic games.

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Don't get me wrong, I'm fully aware that people are still interested in picking up retro systems and their games. But what I really meant was these sorts of bootlegs. I have to wonder who actually even buys them?

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Well, people do still buy them enough to warrant consoles being made, such as that 80-in-1 Mega Drive thing. So there's got to be enough market for a console to be made, therefore enough of a market to buy a game no one's heard of to give it a play on said console.

13. JK FlipFlop

JK FlipFlop

Chester, PA
    Retrobeast, an album of SEGA Genesis music.
    Well, if I had a MegaDrive and a little extra money to spend, I probably would out of curiosity.
    And I bet that cartridge is the hack called Sonic Boom. I would buy it if I knew that was what it was, just to see how well it plays on the real thing. Same thing if I found the S Factor or Sonic Megamix on a cartridge. There are some cool hacks out there that I've played on both my phone and PC, but it just doesn't compare to the real thing.
    That 80-in-1 is a load of shit. The sound is awful and some games are broken. When I moved out of the hood, I left it behind.

14. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I suppose that leaves one redeemer for the English version since there are enough variants that you can usually find at least one passable translation. USUALLY.

Seriously though it's dumbfounding how far less narmy the Japanese dialogue is. The only alteration I really liked was the Robotnik nods, which is now an artefact anyway. I also noticed the Japanese Sonic X uses almost the exact same dialogue in many places (though the dub actually managed to be significantly worse in this regard).

Gamma's story seems to have translated best par odd bits of dialogue (I had a feeling they mistranslated the Japanese pronunciation of 'no' as 'dummies' XD). Amy's reasoning during the Sonic vs Gamma battle sounds WAY more heartwarming in Japanese though.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I always wondered why they had so many variants to the same cutscenes. Like couldn't they have spent their time making fewer cutscenes better instead of remaking the same thing 5 times?

16. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    I always thought it was due to characters perspectives. So in some ways it's (lazier) better to have Sonic & Tails to see the same thing but act differently.

Am I making sense? I kind of feel like I'm getting lost in my attempts to explain myself.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Nah I get it. It's just when there's no internal dialogue going on it just seems a little... weird.

Like maybe they could have used the same cutscenes but changed the camera angles around.

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Many eons ago I walked into a branch of UK video game retailer, GAME (I can even be specific, it was the one in Eldon Square in Newcastle). I forget if it still exists - it was a bit of a grotto (though a good way to judge a console's success because there genuinely wasn't much shelf space to go around).

I distinctly remember visiting one day in 1997 and seeing the Sega Saturn, or more specifically, "Sonic" on the Saturn. Not any specific Sonic game, but 3D Sonic models animating on a black background. I think it was for Sonic R, but it might have been for Sonic Jam. I have never come across this footage since, to the point where you start questioning its existence.

Though truth be told I also haven't really been looking.

Thanks to wiki contributor Wus I can present what I saw:

http://segaretro.org/index.php?title=File%3ASega_Magazine_JP_Issue_08_19970708.pdf&page=19

In the latest in the "jesus christ please please please translate and document this stuff" series, the Japanese Sega Magazine, issue #8, July 1997.

Project Sonic was a drive to get the Japanese interested in Sonic games, because Japan didn't much care for the Mega Drive and the franchise was never the roaring success it was in the West. But can we track down this accompanying video? There's a high chance it appeared at Tokyo Game Show 1997 Spring - obviously it was then recycled as some sort of advertising thing.

Again, we have quite a big stockpile of really important Japanese magazines which need combing through. I can't even coast along with Google translate here - all of our wikis and the community and internet as a whole stand to gain substantially from translations.

19. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    Oh, most definitely. They could have been handled much better and improved tremendously. It's annoying how something like character perspective cutscenes was on lightly scratched on the surface where it had so much potential.

20. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I remember reading somewhere that the reason Sonic Shuffle has the long load times it does is because of the placement of a video file on the disc. I don't remember if it was here on Retro or somewhere else, but if someone here can find anything on that for me that would be rad.