don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

I know it's a digital game, but is there a chance before the games release, a public demo would come out? Or will we just have to wait until the full game?

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    You know, I secretly hope that a private beta will magically appear in the Tech Lounge (and/or in the Pro User forum on SSRG) when the release time approaches, for beta testing and whatnot, but there is nothing like that as of today. I know my reputation has been tainted but I'd gladly sign all the NDAs in the world for that, so I'll keep on hoping. After all, it would make sense for Sega to obtain beta testing for free from the highest-level members of the Sonic community *wink wink nudge nudge*

3. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    After all the awesome fan game demos that have come and gone over the years, I couldn't deal with being teased like that again. (Even knowing it's a commercial game that will get done, instead of canceled like most fan games are.)

A public demo would be interesting to see, though. If one does happen, maybe it'd be best saved for nearly on the game's release, because we all know this whole community will nitpick it apart at novel-length, and leave no stone left unturned or uneaten in the process. :v:

4. synchronizer

synchronizer

Just out of curiosity, what happened to the RetroSonic engine that could easily export a program for Linux and Mac OSX? It's not as though we have to build only for Windows.

5. Thorn

Thorn

Tech Member
    Home
    Sonic 2 Retro Remix
    Rewatching videos of different players has me noticing that the centisecond timer seems to start from a different value for every player, probably as a recurrence of the bug in the Sonic CD remake that started the centisecond timer from its previous value even in between stages. It was a pain in the butt back in Sonic CD to get a "good" centisecond value to start a time attack on, and I pray that it's not going to happen again. I don't want such a straightforward bug to exist after six years. :s The former speedrunner in me is wincing.

Oh, but I'm in love with everything else, of course. :P

6. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    FYI, this has been fixed. The reason it took so long to notice is

a) To the naked eye it's not noticeable (the HUD is 0 ' 00 " 00 when the act starts and only when the clock begins does it jump ahead)
    b) the issue was never with the centisecond timer, one of the engine's internal timers wasn't set to 0 on restart.

7. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    What gets ported to where is still up to the publisher, regardless. Remember when people asked why the Sonic remasters weren't on PC and consoles? Taxman said it wasn't their call, iirc.

8. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    New footage of the demo thanks to PC Gamer. The highlight is they take a route in Studiopolis that has not been shown off yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce9TPPuIHk8

9. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    [​IMG]

Huh.

10. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I wouldn't worry about it too much, since like Taxman said, we're basically looking at the "Nick Arcade" version of Sonic Mania.

If this build gets leaked out, can we call it that? :v:

11. Thorn

Thorn

Tech Member
    Home
    Sonic 2 Retro Remix
    Thanks for the response to my admittedly pedantic observation. I know most people don't care about something so minor, but the fix is definitely appreciated. :)

12. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    No, it was never featured in Nick Arcade so it would be wrong to call it the Nick arcade build. Name it after where it first showed up. If I recall right it was Summer of Sonic.

13. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

How about " + - The Totino's Build   "? :v:

14. Tiller

Tiller

HDK & World Runner
    Nice. Studiopolis is really pushes its paths to crisscross and the way it plays with the physics.

Also is it me or does the spindash seem to have some inconsistent launching speeds? Sometimes the player revs once and goes extremely far, other times he charges and it looks like its not even close to that other launch speed.

15. Deef

Deef

Gotta agree about Studiopolis. I'm not even hugely in love with its colours/style, but its level design just looks fantastic. Up there with the best of them in my opinion, from what I've seen.

2:04 - There's that no-control-lock moment.

Edit - "Up there with the best of them"... To be honest, I feel like it's better than any 2D Sonic level design I've seen. I know that's a bit hype to say but that's really the impression it gives me. There are options everywhere; it really appears to have more complexity and choice than any of the Megadrive zones, yet clearly gives the player more direction and flowing runs than Sonic CD.

16. NioZero

NioZero

ConcepciĆ³n, Chile
    Tornado Sky Fighters
    It would be nice if the demo shown in the exclusive events get released so people who can't attend or aren't from USA can play it...

17. Felik

Felik

Eh, I'd reserve my judgment for now both because it has several glaring issues (specifically Studiopolis) and it's a wip build.

18. minichapman

minichapman

I'd like to think I'll be imparting words of wisdo Member
    United Kingdom
    Staying sane.
    I never realised how much it bugged me only hearing the ring collect sound when every other ring was collected. It's most noticeable during GHZ.

19. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Possibly caused by recording only one channel of audio? (The ring sound usually alternates between left and right.)

20. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    It's amazing how we now have several Green Hill and Studiopolis playthroughs, and there's still some areas of design that we still haven't seen yet. In the recent PC Gamer, at 1:30 with the halfpipe and swinging platform in Green Hill. I think there's probably only one or two playthrough out there that's actually continued up the halfpipe to check out what's over there, everyone else goes back down to the main path. I think there's only been one playthrough that shows the underground Act 1 segment too.

Studiopolis is especially killing it here on the paths, especially with how well they fit into the mold of the level structure (as Tiller noted with how the crossing level paths and physics are walking hand-in-hand here). I don't think I've seen anyone go further left at the beginning of the section at 4:30 in the video (with the KC bumpers and the downward slope, placed a layer behind the main route below it a la Chemical Plant's long slopes). There also seems to an entire segment above that path that nobody has gone up to either. Then there's the higher-placed slopes you need a good jump to reach at 5:53 and 6:20 respectively that nobody has reached, as well as the pit below the ramp at 7:10 nobody has went inside (granted, that could simply be a rare bottomless pit, but who knows?).

New screenshots / trailers of the game, let alone the game itself, can't come soon enough for me.