don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Unreality

Unreality

Ordered the Xbox One and PS4 variety shipped to the UK. One for me, one as a gift for my nephew. I hope he appreciates it, as that was quite some dollar. :v:

I managed to save $28.00 on my order by signing up to the Amazon Prime trial. A condition is that you must have Prime when it ships. I intend to cancel Prime before trial end, and buy a month of Prime at $10.99 a few days before release. A little $17.01 saving is better than nothing and I thought I'd pass that information on here.

I just really hope the Xbox One code works on my UK Xbox. Its very hard to find a definitive answer on that front.

2. Turbohog

Turbohog

I'm pretty sure a big reason they're going the download route is because of DRM. However, physical release PC games still existed before Steam/Origin/GFWL/whatever. They could just use keys like most older games and most modern programs. Sega probably doesn't know how to make a key that is hard to crack though.

3. Linkabel

Linkabel

1.Standard shipping is not going to get you this game on release day. You'll probably get it in 4 to 5 days. There is a one day shipping option and with Amazon prime you can get the CE for $68.28.

2. I think at this point is safe to say the NX is not going to get it. At least at first.

4. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    Ugh, fucking Europe gets shafted again. How typical.

I must admit, though, that I'm still somewhat tempted to place a pre-order on this - given that I have family in the US who could forward it on to me. But as others have said here, I'm a tad put off by the lack of a physical copy of the game; the price does seem a bit steep for what it is, really. Call me fussy, but the other thing is that the statue having a Genesis console on it (rather than a Mega Drive) slightly takes away from the nostalgia factor ;P

Don't get me wrong, I think that the collector's edition is a brilliant idea and I'll likely end up with one anyway, it's just slightly disappointing in some ways.

5. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    Do remember that only you guys got the Generations collector's edition.
    Not saying two wrongs make a right, but at least that one had a physical copy of the game.

6. Rosie

Rosie

aka Rosie Member
    Fairly sure a physical version of Generations was available in US shops though.

7. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Yeah, for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. However, as far as I am aware, Sonic Generations for P.C. was only ever made officially available physically in Europe.

8. Bartman3010

Bartman3010

Site Staff
    Should probably note that Amazon Prime members get 20% off of the collector's set. So if $70 isn't your thing, it's actually lower than that.

Also we never got the collector's set for Generations, but the game was sold in stores for the console versions.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Andddd ordered. Just hope I know where I'm living come this game's release date.

I hope this ships before the game comes out so I can get this day 1. I want everything about this.

10. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Ordered it for both PC and PS4 because I'm a responsible adult.

11. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    I have Amazon Prime and I had to pay full price to preorder it? Oh well, it's more about incentivizing further collaborations between Headcannon/CW and Sega.

12. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Damn I want to buy this but with my wallet hurting and no physical release both things are kind of stopping me from doing so. :( Maybe once I have enough I might buy it... If there are any left for me to preorder. :v:

13. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I kinda lucked out. My Birthday was last week, and my mom's been hounding me about what I want (I tend to be indecisive and buy my own stuff), so I sent her a link to this. Problem solved, thanks SEGA.

Man, that statue looks sweet too. That'll look nice next to my army of amiibo.

14. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    Inferring way, way... way too much here from a box.

15. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    So why the hell did I order Mania from Amazon? On the Official Sonic site it says I can order from EB games and pick it up... This would cut the delivery charge and ensure i get it on release day. I'm gonna cancel my Amazon order tomorrow!

16. MartiusR

MartiusR

I'm guessing that Mania was from the very beginning considered as digital-only release, probably that's why there is only activation code inside (and , probably, we can't count on something else than that in terms of, well, "physical" release).

I'm irritated with this trend, and that Sega is part of it. I'm glad that generally PC gaming is not completely (yet) "steam-fied", but let's be honest - it's mostly about indie games, old releases on GOG + those "not very old, but far after release date" games on GOG or humble store. Titles which could be considered as "big games" (such as Shadow Warrior 2) have DRM-free releases only because they're created by some "medium-size" developers, who are more open-minded in terms of DRMs than big companies.

It's not a mystery that every game can be nowadays pirated, but yet there is some magical belief (amongst big companies) that it's still protection agains piracy. Nevertheless, I'm aware that there is also the fact, that Steam is taking the biggest chunk of PC gaming... Which still IMO is not a good reason to ditch other players (and their wallets).

And I'm not even telling about physical, non-steam (alternatively non-origin/non-uplay) releases - those are nowadays really rare (except some indie games in budget series, even there they're not so often).

Maybe I would consider buying this collector edition (lack of physical copy sucks, on the other hand content inside the box is quite tempting), but I'm definitelly not going to pay ludicrous price for shipping from US (if I remember correctly, I would need to pay more for shipping than for the product itself - no, thanks).

17. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    It would be nice if they did a worldwide digital collectors* edition where you get:
    -An ebook of concept art
    -An ebook of the game design document
    -Video/audio interviews with the team

A bit like the Generations Collectors edition, but better (as the art book in that set promised new art, but just had recycled stuff).

[*They could make a physical version too, but I'd imagine there would be cost issues]

18. kullenberg

kullenberg

Maybe I'm in the minority here but personally I have little interets for statues and such... I'd just like a nice shiny box with nice art a physical copy of the game.

19. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    I think part triggered me more than it not getting an EU release, even though it shouldn't and totally makes sense for America...

Edit: So I can still order one by the looks of it. Amazon.com are happily shipping it overseas for an extra cost (making the grand total of game + shipping around the 100 dollars price), Of course I'll be gutted if Sega Europe does a 180 and announces a release later on but eh, I've done it now.

20. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    [​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/videogames/

So about that physical release... :v: