don't click here

The Little Things

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by urlogic, Aug 24, 2016.

1. urlogic

urlogic

What are your favorite small details or little things in any sonic game?

An example is this little tidbit in Sonic Advance 3... and the buddy system in this game wasn't my favorite but shoot me if these weren't entertaining :v:

[​IMG]

2. Rudie Radio Waves

Rudie Radio Waves

Italy
    Many a game.
    The idle poses, because they are a silent way to express a character's personality.

3. JaredAFX

JaredAFX

You telling me a shrimp fried this rice? Member
    Florida
    Downloading megahertz
    Speaking of Advance 3, I've always really enjoyed the Sonic and Amy pairing. Without delving into SonAmy territory this is how I've always imagined their relationship and things such as the recurring scenes in Sonic Shorts where they almost get in bed with each other only to be stopped by non sequiturs are simply jokes about the whole matter.

As far as other little things... hmm... I've always liked the advertisements in city levels. From Pizza Sonic 2 to a hidden anti PS2 message in the Dreamcast version of SA2. Even Generations had that little nod to characters we haven't seen in a very long time. I'm sure I'll come up with more things but for now that's what's on the top of my head.

4. MegaMarioMan

MegaMarioMan

Banned
    Talking about Sonic Unleashed I always liked the part when Sonic turned into a werewolf.

5. Riker

Riker

Eggmans little announcements during Sonic Colors. They just kind of get drowned out in the background noise, so most people seem to miss them

6. Cyberguy

Cyberguy

I am the Chancellor of Clown Cars! Member
    I liked the melee attacks in the Sonic Advance games. They were only occasionally useful, but they helped to make each character stand out as individuals.

I also like the way Chao subtly evolve after their first big cocoon. Seeing their colors change and their bodies develop in varying ways as their stats rose really felt dynamic and like you were creating an individual being as it matured.

7. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    The weirdest little thing I've always loved is in SA2 when you jump from a summersault and Sonic does a misty flip. I was legitimately disappointed when that animation wasn't in Heroes. It was utterly useless, but I always appreciated the little detail and how strangely natural the animation felt carrying his momentum from the previous move.

8. ElectricSparx

ElectricSparx

United States
    Temporal Shift: Flow of Eternity
    I echo the bits about the certain pairing titles in Advance 3 and Eggman's announcements in Colors. Those were really charming.

9. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Always thought this was a nice touch.

10. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    At the beginning of Angel Island Zone in Sonic 3, when you jump on that spring in the tree that takes to a little alcove with monitors at the top left. One of the highest areas in the level, and you can see a sail boat drifting in the water with the other islands in the back. Always made my imagination go wild wondering what's back there. A lot of backgrounds in Sonic 3 were pretty well done, in fact.

11. Riker

Riker

Best bit of background work in Sonic 3 & Knuckles is when the Death Egg is crashed in the volcano. That part where the eyes light up

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think your imagination may have gone a bit too wild. There's no boats in there whatsoever.

13. MartiusR

MartiusR

I like when by accident in Sonic 1/2 I'm dealing with big chunk of the level just by taking speed bonus and then jumping into the sky and bouncing from two or three enemies in the meanwhile. It looks like I know what I'm doing (except the fact that it's just pure luck :P).

I remember that I liked to play with first person camera in Sonic Heroes (in all formations) to see more details of the character appearance or animation (e.g. how they're holding together in flying formation, or just overall how they look like).

By some reason, I like animation of Cream in 2D games, when she's rolled into ball and there are still seen her ears. It has even less sense than Tails' tail (tail of Tails?), but hey, it looks fun. Not to mention about her animation during rail griding. Who cares that it's high and you're riding on narrow pipe, every moment is good to wave your hand. It's probably one of the most "carefree" animation I've seen so far :P

14. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Damn, faulty memory. Thought I'd remembered all these years that a boat sailed back there. My mistake.

15. Xilla

Xilla

There is a small landmass just off to the right of the big island which resembles the shape of a boat, but just a co-incidence methinks!

16. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    To add to this, if you stare at Rouge while doing this as Shadow (might work with Omega as well, don't remember), she'll turn to look at you and wink.

17. Speeps

Speeps

This thing:

[​IMG]

I don't know, I always thought the details on that sign were pretty funny. Poor Tails was never born.

I also really like the NPCs in SA1. Too bad they're really easy to miss though.