don't click here

General Project Screenshots/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Sparks, Jun 28, 2008.

1. MegaMarioMan

MegaMarioMan

Banned
    Wow I love it. You've even put my favorite special stages in. Very nice keep it up.

2. CornFlakes

CornFlakes

Along with my indie game, I am working on a small Sonic fangame. I was lucky enough to be given a private custom engine by a friend of mine, because I really don't like Worlds at all. This engine doesn't aim to be the most accurate in terms of the Genesis games, but rather focuses on the speed aspect of Sonic. I am unsure about this though, especially the jump height of Sonic. Any opinions?
    [​IMG]

3. ElectricSparx

ElectricSparx

United States
    Temporal Shift: Flow of Eternity
    Personally, I'd want to have hands-on experience with this engine before giving an opinion on it myself. The GIF is nice, but as they say, you can't tell how bad a game controls unless you play it for yourself.

4. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I don't consider those two things mutually exclusive; being accurate to the Genesis games in terms of physics gives great opportunity to focus on the 'speed aspect' if you design the levels as such, or add some sort of extra ability, power-up, or gimmick to Sonic. Going fast in Classic Sonic games feels great, and I think it could be rather rewarding to tap in to this by being accurate to those.

Then again, I found Sonic Rush to be really fun, so I guess there are other good ways to design a sense of speed into the game. That said, from looking at your gif, Sonic looks kind of heavy (his jump height feels a bit low [edit]: and he seems to fall a bit too quickly), and accelerates rather quickly, almost in a vehicular way. Not sure if that's what you're going for, but it seems like it wouldn't feel very fluid to move around, and quickly shift directions. Speaking of that, I personally don't like the Sonic CD extended camera for that reason, as going fast in one direction essentially renders the player blind of anything behind Sonic. Meaning, once you turn around after entering that mode you can't see anything coming before it gets to you. If the game is designed around this being a non-issue (like Sonic Runners, for example), then I guess it wouldn't be that much of an issue anymore.

*edit for clarity*

5. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Oh I got the same engine as well, it's an old one by LarkSS. I found it to be lacking in the end, missing a lot of important things like layered collisions (for loops and jump-through platforms) that would require too much work to properly implement. But if you don't need them, then I guess it'd work?

By the way, what exactly do you not like about Worlds Delta? I'd like to know so I can try to improve your experience :)

6. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    [​IMG]
    So how about those Sonic clones

7. ElectricSparx

ElectricSparx

United States
    Well, that looks interesting. Graphics are pretty nice. I dig that "traffic light" animation. Is this going to be a highway level or something similar?

8. Violet

Violet

Sweden
    Flicky Engine, Overdrive
    Title card for my fangame.
    [​IMG]

9. Retroman

Retroman

I really like the OC character and the design :)

Reminds me of the Kirby Dreamland cutscenes before the level begins

10. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    Reminded me of Felix the Cat :) Also nice job on the tiles, everything look original

11. Violet

Violet

Sweden
    Flicky Engine, Overdrive
    [​IMG]

12. Felik

Felik

That looks simply beautiful. I wish you'd put all that effort into original level rather than GHZ redesign but still can't wait to play. Are you going to participate this SAGE?

13. CornFlakes

CornFlakes

Oh my god. That looks incrediblely amazing. I really want to get my hands on this and play it. Is this going to be a Sonic 1 remake though, or is this for testing? I'm fine either way, though, and really hope you have a demo for this at SAGE. This might end up being an really great fangame so keep up the amazing work!

14. Violet

Violet

Sweden
    Flicky Engine, Overdrive
    Oh don't worry, it's just going to be 1 Act before the real first Zone and the level design will be completely new here. Something for the story :p
    And the chances are 50/50 for SAGE. Still need to programm quite a bit till the demo's done but it's looking good.

15. DarkVDee

DarkVDee

Duke Of Palettes Member
    California
    Sonic DVD [CD2]
    Thank you so much. Few other pixel artists and I work really hard to get where we are. I am glad to be part of the Sonic Over Drive Project.

16. ElectricSparx

ElectricSparx

United States
    I like what I see here! Hopefully you have a demo for this at SAGE. Looks like it'll be a good play.

17. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Yes it is!

Thanks for the comments guys! Will try to keep updates regular, especially since I got some time off for Labor Day.

Despite it being Green Hill, the re-shade is off to a really good start. Some minor feedbck I have is to make the ground be sloped and hilly instead of straight and flat. Green Hill was only really straight and flat in the boss area. I'd also add some variation to the ground tiles, also like Green Hill, but since not much of the screen shows the floor below, it's possible you may have done this already.

Is the Sonic sprite the Mod-gen Sonic? It looks a bit more polished (though the Modern Sonic head on the Classic Sonic body bugs me a bit).

Just my two cents, hope it helps!

18. Violet

Violet

Sweden
    Flicky Engine, Overdrive
    Yeah, it's Shinbs newest classic sonic sheet, completely reshaded though and etc. With additional frames between animations to make them smoother.
    About the tiles: http://i.imgur.com/HCnuOuP.png
    Already done! We'll also add more to the ground tiles so it looks less boring.

19. Ay Jay

Ay Jay

Sonic Neo Adventure
    I'm happy everyone's liking the screenshots. I'm part of the Dev Staff too, and I made the small details, maintly the Butterflies and Item Monitors. I don't know whether OD will make it to SAGE, but the game is progressing fast.

20. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Personally I would love to see this in a ROM hack if the colour palette can take it.