don't click here

SEGA References in pop culture.

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Lobotomy, Oct 10, 2010.

1. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    Heh, at first I thought the barrel was going to oddly bounce up and down until I saw it. Very odd and random for the logo to be there like that.

2. AngelComa

AngelComa

Site Staff
    Some stuff I never seen that I might use for the site. We do this sort of articles over at SEGAbits called 'SEGA in the Media': http://segabits.com/blog/tag/sega-in-the-media/

We have a few that haven't been posted here that are interesting.

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    There are advantages for looking through PS2 tat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da486unSzLo

The High Voltage Software logo from 2006 has a not-Dreamcast Dreamcast in it.

4. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Agents of SHIELD referenced Sonic on the latest episode.

Also, I've been watching Gintama and there have been a couple of times where it references SEGA from what I've watched. First one is this from an arc where the cast tries to win a Bentendo OwEe:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Second reference was this, in which Gintoki and Zura are turned into old men: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9ukgb_gintama-parodies-megadrive-owners_fun

Which becomes a running joke with old Gintoki saying "In the end, you played the Mega Drive too" throughout the episode.

5. Deathscythe

Deathscythe

In Sailor Stars (the 5th and final season of the original Sailor Moon anime), the girls go to an arcade and play a game that looks like Fighting Vipers.

[​IMG]

6. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    I guess this sorta counts: in The Lab, Valve's VR minigame collection for the HTC Vive, there's a game called Xorex. And while the game itself isn't much like it, the fake arcade cabinet is based on the Zaxxon cabinet:

[​IMG]

7. Pirate Dragon

Pirate Dragon

I've just noticed Zaxxon in New Orders' Blue Monday video. That would seem to already be well known as it's mentioned on Wikipedia, but I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread.

8. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

So this apparently just popped up in a recent episode of Yo Kai Watch..

[​IMG]

Source.

9. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    That reminds me, there's a Virtua Fighter reference in a Gintama arc as well. In the arc, Tama (a robot) gets turned into starts looking like old video game graphics because of a virus. The first time this is shown she looks like this:

[​IMG]

The next time she appears she looks like a Dragon Quest sprite and the arc turns into a Dragon Quest parody.

10. I can't believe this thread has been around for over half a decade and no one ever posted NHLPA '93 in Swingers.

11. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    So I was watching the latest Orange is the New Black season, when suddenly

[​IMG]

12. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I guess I forgot to post about that here. :v: I've seen that screenshot over on Facebook a while ago. It's always fun seeing Sonic come up in shows randomly.

13. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
  14. Dee Liteyears

Dee Liteyears

deep in the past
    Spriting and hardly getting shit done
    Don't know if this one was already mentioned.
    [​IMG]
    Did the US really got colored Game Gears? Also as opposed to the standard yellow japanese GG, the buttons on this one are black instead of green.
    At least they remembered to put in a game

15. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    It does not appear that there was an outside-Japan edition of the yellow Game Gear, making the pictured device quite the curiousity, indeed.

16. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I'm surprised by my fellow UK users. 9 pages and not one mention of this guy:

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/robotwars/images/f/f3/Kronic_overturns.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160429172348
    http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/robotwars/images/7/7c/Kronic_The_Wedgehog_series_7.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20160410112828
    (I'd have them as img's. but for some reason the board won't allow me...)

And fittingly enough, he's the record holder for the fastest Robot battle in FRA, winning in 4 seconds via ring-out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gq5_6QGTLs

17. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Deus Ex: Mankind Divided includes some boxes for a new Sonic spin-off game that will be released in 2029:

[​IMG]

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!

God Damn it

19. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Haha that's awesome! Love how the Sonic social media account is making waves. That's an awesome little inclusion right there. Love it.

20. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    So in 1993 Sega sponsored the Williams F1 team. They were a little difficult to miss.
    [​IMG]

McLaren noticed it too:
    [​IMG]

Ayrton Senna spent parts of the season driving around with a squashed hedgehog on his McLaren-Ford MP4/8. That includes stage 3, the Donnington circuit.