don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. DropDash

DropDash

Pending Member
    It's a strain on the programmer's wrists adding a Super Sonic mode, Hyper Sonic is probably too much effort for the guys at Sonic Team. :v:

If Hyper Sonic ever returns it will be in a Taxman game. I don't really care if he doesn't come back really since it makes 3&K all the more special. Nobody can top that game, it was pure love in every department.

2. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

I don't really care man it's not like we are forced to see the series as Iizuka sees it. Some of you take this canon thing so serious.

3. synchronizer

synchronizer

I don't think that DigitalDuck is arguing that the canon is important. He is simply stating that the canon--significant or insignificant in X person's opinion--dictates which features may (or may not) appear in future games.

4. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

Well if it doesn't I'll just keep playing S3&K if I want to play as Hyper Sonic, Hyper Knuckles or Super Tails like I've always been.

To be really honest, when I first played Sonic 1-3&K as a kid, I didn't even know those games had real stories behind them. I just knew if you get all the "jewels" and make it to the end of the game, you win. It was more about me having fun than worrying about what the plot was about. It wasn't until my first modern Sonic game (SA2) I realized these games have serious plots behind them. That's when I was like "okay this game actually has a good plot behind it. I'll go back and try to understand what's going on in the classics." Then Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 06 came around and that's when I stopped following the canon like that. Basically I have my own canon and theories of the series now.

5. Flygon

Flygon

I always assumed each story was it's own self-contained little thing. They have loose connections, but no serious ties between them. Like the Mario series.

It's easy enough to imagine that way, that the characters punch out for the day after work, they eat Friday night Pizza, that way, hahaha.

6. big smile

big smile

Oldbie

Actually, that's kind of what Iizuka said at the first Sonic Boom Q&A. (I know because I submitted the question!) He said the Sonic games are indvidual stories. They do put ties to make them part of a whole, but they don't want fans to think too much about the connections.

With the Mario games, Miyamoto once compared the Mario characters to a stable of "actors" that appear in different "films".

So I suppose the big difference is that Sonic is more connected, but they don't think out every connection.

Regarding the Chaotix: I think Iizuka was talking about the designs being new. Chaotix stated the Master Emerald was moved out of Hidden Palace, which is something other games have followed. It also said Eggman rebuilt Metal Sonic after Sonic CD (although this is something which Sonic 4 has since re-told).

7. Nova

Nova

The drop dash will have the following application in speedruns, from what I can tell:

As it requires a jump to use, it does inherently have a wind-up time. However, as the boost it gives is set, it is generally not going to be preferable to a quick three-tap spindash. The spindash will be used in most situations but to carry momentum and continue a run, the drop dash will be invaluable. Picture the bottom route of Green Hill Zone; you would spin dash at the start and all the small rises and drops in the height of the level will give you an opportunity to build speed using the drop dash.

I'm really, really excited to use it and I hope people work it into romhacks if it works half as well as it sounds.

8. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    I do think it would be more intuitive to map to down+jump while falling, it's what I expected when I first heard about it.

Double jump press feels more like an upward movement or aerial movement and previous games also follow that logic.
    Tails flies, Knuckles glides, Sonic performs an aerial shield ability. All in the air.

Holding down would just make that much more sense since the action, regardless of the aerial windup, is a ground ability.

9. Felik

Felik

What I really hope for is for it to not become the new jump dash or in other words a move that throws away all the "speed should be earned" philosophy because of it's spammable nature.
    And before anyone says "but fire shield!" let me tell you that fire shield is a temporary (and extremely valuable) power up tjat you can easily use if you are not careful aka an opposite of spammable.

10. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I would like to see an option to map the special moves to another button. There has been a few times when I'd jump, release the button, then to notice a badnick I could bounce off of. I don't know if the drop dash would interrupt this, but as Tails and Knuckles I wouldn't be able to have a high bounce.

11. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    For one, it takes a bit of skill to use the drop dash - you have to release the button just as you hit the floor, and two, the sort of speed boost the drop dash is could already be had by spin dashing.

The drop dash isn't activated by pressing the button twice - that primes it. It's activated by releasing the button as you hit the ground.

12. Okamikurainya

Okamikurainya

Somewhere in Africa
    Sonic: Time Attacked - MAX
    I haven't had a chance to get hands on with the game so I can't really say, but wouldn't it be really simple to have both the Insta-shield AND the Drop Dash? I mean if the double tap is just to prime the Drop Dash, they could easily have the Insta-shield be a byproduct of the priming?

13. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    I don't know if this was answered before (and I don't want to tá the entire thread to find out...)... But: does "PC" mean "Windows" or will there be a Linux version?

14. Saidian

Saidian

England
    Blast From The Fast (Fangame)
    I would imagine that'd means Windows only, I can't see a Linux port being made available. Just be hopeful that it'll be compatible with Wine or something.

Btw, curious, has Sega ever done an official Linux port of a game?

15. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    Usually when a game is announced for PC, they only mean Windows unless they specify that they're releasing the game on other OS' as well.

They have, though usually only for Sega Europe's games. Like some of the Total War games, Company of Heroes 2 and Alien Isolation have Mac and Linux versions.

16. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

I will be getting the PS4 version but I will be looking forward to the pc version the most. I know there will be cool mods/hacks for Shadow, Blaze, Silver and Metal Sonic (if he's not already in the game).

17. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    I know the fangame argument has been done to death, but instead of wondering whether it can be classified as a fangame or not, can we talk about what this means for SEGA as a whole? I can't think of any company that has so embraced its fanbase and hired as many people whose resumes consist of Sonic fan projects, except possibly Valve. Typically businesses, especially Japanese ones, shy away from this due to it seeming unprofessional and indicating that they can't make games themselves. I'd really like to hear about SEGA's general philosophy behind this practice, and Ruby's philosophy of using social media the way he does for the series.

18. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I think there was at least one Skyrim modder who found himself a job with Bethesda after he created some awesome content of his own, but otherwise I'm really not too sure. It's really love to know exactly how Mania came to be. Hope it's divulged in future interviews.

19. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Alien Isolation

Actually looks like much of CA's work comes to linux.

20. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

Good point. It probably means SEGA is actually paying attention to what certain people want out of the series. They approached this the smart way. It gives Sonic Team the freedom to still focus on Project 2017 while Taxman, Stealth and Pagoda West can take care of Mania. There is no person more qualified than them to do something like this.

They might even be more qualified than Sonic Team at this point. I'm not even bashing them but let's be real these guys know what we want out of a classic game more than SEGA and they know that. It seems more about about making the SMART MOVE than giving the fans what they want. Yeah it's cool the fans are going to love this but we all know SEGA is all about their profits more than anything.

That's not a bad thing as long as a good game comes out of it.