don't click here

Sonic the Comic Fanmade Graphic Novel

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Twimfy, Jul 4, 2016.

1. darylbaxter

darylbaxter

Writer Member
    That looks great.
    I've been re-reading them on my iPad lately, evil Super Sonic needs to be in a game somehow, his story is really innovative and the art only makes it better.
    Hopefully you find some luck with this, I'd buy it as soon as it would be available.

2. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Oh my god. This would be the best thing ever.
    I can only echo the general consensus here and say I would absolutely pay a silly amount of money for something like this! StC was a huge part of my reading growing up and although It's nice reading them again digitally, I would commit heinous acts to be able to purchase a proper collected reprint. Good luck!

3. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Best of luck - fingers crossed for a response. Collected graphic novels of the stories from "Sonic the Comic" would be amazing! = D

If it comes to nothing, there are other ways of making sure these comics survive. The current scans of many issues are somewhat lacking, with low-resolution and blurry patches in the comic stories themselves. Can't even remember if the current scans include the review/letters pages and suchlike, either. I've always thought a concerted effort to re-scan issues at high resolution and then clean up from there could have amazing results if done consistently and co-ordinated properly. Would take bloody ages, mind, but the results would be worth it! = )

At one point I had a collection spanning from the start of the series well into the Drakon Empire stuff, with only a few issues missing inbetween - if I still had it, I'd make an effort to scan and clean up what I could from that. Sadly it's no longer around - best guess is my parents consigned it to a charity shop or dustbin when I moved out from their place, as I didn't have room to take them at the time and they definitely no longer have 'em. = (

Either way, definitely worth waiting to see if this bears fruit before thinking of any of that. Will keep my fingers crossed for you...!

4. Twimfy

Twimfy

UK
    Sonic the Comic stuff
    My scans aren't the best either but they are complete with all pages for each issue and as I've shown they are perfectly readable. Should I get permission to do this, I could call on a few people I know to help reproduce them once again, or who knows, Sega may hold copies (but somehow I doubt it). I can always spend some time editing the pages I do have, time consuming but if this becomes official it'd be worth it.

For the sake of simplicity I have stated to Sega that I would only plan to reproduce the stories featuring Sonic characters for the time being and omit any reviews, letters or user submitted content as there could be licensing issues or problems with some of the content.

They should be receiving my parcel today, I will be back with an update as soon as I hear anything.

5. MartiusR

MartiusR

Really nifty and splendid idea! I would definitelly buy such compilation. Don't know what are the real chances for official release of it, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed Twimfy, have hope that no copyright things or other issues wont' stop it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynV2Zv1stwk

(BTW - I know that it's not popular opinion, but IMO StC aged better than first issues of StH comic, they're both extremely infantile at some points, but still StC wins in this comparison, in my opinion)

6. SuperVintendo

SuperVintendo

PNW
    Beautiful proof of concept! Like everyone else has said, I would be down to donate to a Kickstarter! I didn't get to read much of Sonic the Comic as a kid growing up in the US but when I first saw a picture of Evil Super Sonic I was immediately intrigued. I read a lot through a *cough*notsolegalmatter*cough* but would love to actually give the support to the creative teams that worked on the book. I've always been fascinated by Sonic stories before the series had a more set direction. I think it's interesting to see how others viewed how the franchise should progress.

7. Twimfy

Twimfy

UK
    Sonic the Comic stuff
    Dammit, I should have sent that video to them on a flash drive just looping over and over thousands of times, oh well, missed opportunity there.

If this gets rejected, I think the saddest thing about it will be the fact that it could be confirmation that STC is officially dead. I don't know if anyone has tried this before but I would have expected someone who has to have chimed in by now.

8. Twimfy

Twimfy

UK
    Sonic the Comic stuff
    Well just to an update to say I have heard nothing. It's only been a few days I guess but I kinda expected an email or something by now.

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Give it time. Wheels can take time to turn.

10. Twimfy

Twimfy

UK
    Sonic the Comic stuff
    Well the A5 version arrived today. I think I prefer it in all honesty, slightly cheaper too. I didn't take any time to make any improvements to the quality or cover, I just wanted to see what the pages looked like smaller, and I'm pleased with the result.

Still no word from Sega. I have sent them a follow up email. Nothing at all back :-(

[​IMG]

11. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    That's a shame. :( Even though I live in the US, I really dig Sonic the Comic and I would love to buy a graphic novel someday in the future. Hopefully they will get around to contacting you. :\

12. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    This is a really awesome idea! I'd totally buy something like this :) Sonic the Comic was my childhood, but sadly I barely have any of my old comics anymore - they got thrown out by mistake when I was still living with my parents.

Don't be disheartened by the fact that you've not heard back from SEGA yet. As others have said, these things take time. I mean, it's only been a couple of weeks - if you think about how much post and how many emails such a big company has to go through every single day, three weeks is not really an awful lot of time. I mean, your letter might only just be reaching the correct department now; and even then, there are a lot of legal/copyright implications with something like this. I should think it's going to take them quite a long time to do some research and/or dig through old paperwork before they can even think about saying yes or no to this.

I don't mean to sound patronising or anything, but I would maybe reconsider sending them anymore follow-up correspondence for a while. Give them adequate time to do what they need to do and then get back to you when they can - the last thing you want to do is come across as pushy. If I were you, I'd wait at least a month before you send them any more follow-up emails.

13. Twimfy

Twimfy

UK
    Sonic the Comic stuff
    You're absolutely right. I'm just going to sit on it and wait for now. Besides I have a lot of other stuff to be getting on with at the moment so this can take a back seat for the time being. Whatever will be will be.

14. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
  15. Twimfy

Twimfy

UK
    Sonic the Comic stuff
    Well it's been a year and a half and I got absolutely nowhere with this, no answers or responses from anyone I contacted which is incredibly sad. Even a 'not interested' would have been better than total silence. Takes nothing to reply to an email.

Perhaps worst of all Sega still have my A4 copy. It may not be legit but the physical book is my property and it was damn expensive.

At this point I'm almost prepared to Kickstart it, see what happens, I can get it printed way less overseas and make it cheap enough for most people to buy.

Even if it gets struck down at least it'll be in the eyes of those who need to see it and really make it happen.

Thoughts?

16. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    ...you expected them to return the book? I know a little bit about pitching, and that's definitely not something any company generally expects. It's treated as a gift at best or a temporary, disposable medium at worst.

The company that would've been considering this is Archie, and they spent 2017 flailing and losing the license. IDW are just about to start; in the best case scenario they'll find it in a drawer and think about it for a bit.

Sorry. It looks beautiful, either way.

17. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Hmm. Any thoughts on maybe just doing it privately for Fleetway fans? Do a few batches, charge a bit more than you would normally but if the quality's good you'll definitely make the sales. Heck, I'd be more than happy to throw money at you for that kind of printing/binding.

18. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Hmm. That's disappointing dude. I remember posting with enthusiasm when you first announced this, as a massive fan of Fleetway Sonic back in the day as a child - so it's disheartening to hear you're not making progress through official channels. That said I've seen Sega hand out official licences for the simplest of things with various Sega-related projects on Kickstarter for example that had official licences - so it is possible. Are you contacting the right people? Perhaps you could reach out to an ex-Fleetway editor or something if Sega themselves are frustratingly silent?

Either way I'm still very interested in this and would back/purchase it if it were to hit Kickstarter or you made it available somehow. Best of luck.

19. Adamis

Adamis

Gimme waffles! Oldbie
    Belgium
    Lammy and "Fafnir"
    I know Mike (current editor of STCO) got in touch with Sega over the last two years and they were at least interested, but they recently turned the idea down to their new contract with IDW.