don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Re:cyan in the title card

Other spots when that title card style is used occasionally has a green stripe, too. I wouldn't put much stock in the colors of the stripes

alternatively, holy shit vector CONFIRMED!

2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Good lad.

As long as it's a sensible one, a.k.a. not like Rare Replay.

3. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

I imagine it'll be much like the one in Sonic CD, which was basically a bilnear 1pixel-radius blur. Perfect for converting dithering into half-tones.

4. @8.00 - that fire shield is L U S H !!

Man, if these guy's don't get to do another Sonic game after this... :british:

5. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Hope there's a bi linear filter as well.

6. darylbaxter

darylbaxter

Writer Member
  7. Metal-Geo

Metal-Geo

Toot toot Member
    The animations are so. God. Damned. Beautiful.

The upgraded balancing animation, the skidding, the new looking up sprite.

To everyone involved in the development of this game: <3

8. Flygon

Flygon

I'm not sure the 32x would have had the raw grunt for such 2D pushing. Definitely the Saturn title I wish we got, however.

9. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    I am absolutely surprised! This is in my mind, quality at its best.

The sprite animations are extremely fluid, even the little things in the levels have neat touches to them, and I also noticed some dithering pixel work here and there, but what's interesting is that it doesn't look stupidly retro in the process, it feels more like the next step from the kind of graphics style that was around, during the end of the Mega Drive/32x days, right before 3D games became a thing. I usually cringe at this sort of design choice when I see it in a fangame, but it feels like it's done right here, like, not too emphesised on making it look retro, and more on advancing that. And I am totally for that! (That title screen was awesome by the way dX)

Obviously, I've never played the game so I cannot judge the gameplay too harshly. I did feel at some points the layout felt weird in some respects, not "empty", but I cannot describe it, but that's probably because I'm not seeing the full stage for what it is, it's also what you play that counts. But the physics and such feel quite solid and overall it looks like a lot of fun, but I would expect no less from Taxman and Stealth. The music from what I've heard (haven't heard much), sounds pretty good, but I'm not gonna give my thoughts on that until I've heard it properly, it would be unfair to judge it this way.

I'm not sure if it's just me, but it feels kinda.... fangamish? I'm not complaining, this is still better than I would have hoped for, but still.

Awesome stuffs, I'm gonna save some money so I can check it out when it comes out~

10. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Superb, this was the game I was expecting since 1994 :)

11. Pengi

Pengi

Neat! Has that insignia ever appeared anywhere other than Wing Fortress Zone and the Sonic Drift character art?

(And hey, the Mystic Cave Zone mice return for the first time since Sonic 2!)

12. Xilla

Xilla

I would seriously wet myself if a Pirate TV reference was added! :)

13. Falk

Falk

Yeah, I actually wonder about this. It'll be really, really telling either way, in either a 'why didn't they do this sooner' or conversely a 'dozens of us' way.

Prognosis looking good considering the reception so far.

14. In case some of you haven't found the trailer music already :v:

15. Tanks

Tanks

I noticed that earlier today. Fuckin Jet for all we know am I rite? :rolleyes:

(or mfw it's Carol Tea unlockable character)

16. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    I second this, I always imagined Amy being a playable character in a hypothetical "Sonic 4", with her Sonic Advance 1 moveset.

17. bombatheechidna

bombatheechidna

Metal Sonic? maybe

18. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    Add me to the list of people that haven't posted in ages but are showing up to sing praises. Just, wow.

Is there any possibility we could get lossless reveal and gameplay videos, though? Such a crazy amount of attention and love has gone into the art and animation here that I feel a lossy compressed YouTube video isn't making it justice; in particular you can see the compression artifacts and overall blurryness on the small details if you watch it full screen, which for pixel art is a real pity. Lossless videos would go a long way for both fans and the press to really appreciate all the details.

19. SonKnuck

SonKnuck

The Lazy Guy Oldbie
    Quebec
    DBZ Re-enactment and LPs on Youtube
    Alright, there's nothing that I can say that has not been said already...

But holy cow I don't think I have been hyped for a new Sonic game THIS MUCH in a very long time! The kid in me just came back to life instantly! This is Day one purchase material for me right there!

20. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

It's insane how happy this keeps making me. I think about it all day. I've been floating in a daze. I thought absolutely nothing could top Shenmue 3 for me -- how goddamn wrong I was. I needed Sonic Mania so badly and had no idea.

God I'm just so freaking happy.