don't click here

Sonic Mania (Switch, PS4, Xbox One, PC...Netflix?)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I wonder what the other reimagined levels will be. Yes, Green Hill Zone 23415 was a given, I'm fine with that. I really hope they don't take the same levels Generations used though. I'd like to see some new levels reimagined, like Mystic Cave, Quartz Quadrant, Carnival Night, Hydrocity, and Death Egg S3K would be my choices.

I keep rewatching this reveal along with Gamespot's gameplay footage. I'm geeking out hard right now I just am in shock that we're in store for a good Sonic 2D side scroller. I also love how much more animation that Title Screen has than Sonic 4's did. I mean this is basically just perfect. Music is spot on too. I'm getting some Sonic 3 Mid boss vibes from this game's Mid boss theme and I love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg71lQoSuDk

This may be buried, but in case you haven't seen the gameplay here it is in all its glory.

2. Amnimator

Amnimator

Awesome in every way. The art, music, gameplay, animation; all of it. Will certainly be playing this. Hope it's as good as it looks.

3. Juki

Juki

Oldbie
    Manchester, England
    definitely not Terra Galactica
    No fucking way, that looks amazing!

4. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    I'm not fond of the (Chaotix art style) x (Sonic CD level layouts style) as they are both not my favorites.

But I don't care anyway. This is truly awesome, and a real successor to Sonic 3 ! Congrats !

5. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    > SEGA listening to what people want

Is this a dream

6. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    The only thing that could make this better is if they put in Amy with her Advance 1 controls.

7. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

If anything 'disappointed' me about this game, and that's at an almighty stretch, it's that it's only the original three. Getting Amy in on the action, or even characters from games beyond the Classics, would be the cherry on this delicious cake.

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I think I am going to have to second that point about Green Hill Zone though:

The background has been redrawn, but the foreground hasn't... which makes it look a little off-key when placed next to the new in-game assets. Dumping it in there in its current state (p.s. why GHZ again?) does look a little... fangame-ish.

I was tempted to start one of those little nitpick topics like with Sonic CD/1/2 - while I'm very happy this game exists I do think it's worth letting Retro point out the little things. Particularly if we're still 5+ months away from release.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Probably because Green Hill Zone's foreground is pretty simplistic. I mean you can go the Generations route but it's just a checkered pattern. What else are you supposed to do to it without making it completely different? A little jarring but yea. And probably Green Hill Zone again just because of the reimagined levels part. Of course Green Hill is included in that. Not totally against it since at least they made some changes.

Plus Green Hill's original background was kind of poorly drawn (like that mountain that has random sky pixels in it, which was cleverly changed to a river in this one). Not redrawing it would make Sonic's sprites look even more disjointed against a completely 16bit zone. Given the source material I'd say they did an alright job of balancing the new/old graphics.

Also loving how this is making people mad on Youtube. Like really?

10. Felik

Felik

She can always be an extra character or M.Sonic + - or Mighty  

11. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Some of it has been redrawn, but yeah, I get you.
    [​IMG]

While there's more colours being uses on the grass and tree trunks as well as more indents and protrusions in the ground, the bulk of the foreground is too similar to the original. There's more that could be done with it yet.

Also sorry to be posting so much. Only really came in to share more footage, Sonic's ledge animation is beautifully detailled, and the Combi-Ring from Chaotix is back!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1nQxH3kugg

12. Fantastic news and I'm really excited Taxman and Stealth are involved with this game.
    I wonder if the peel out move is in the game. Since there are some references to Sonic CD, for instance, how Sonic jumps off the springs and how his feet move when he's running at top speed.

13. RibShark

RibShark

One strange thing I did notice about that background: notice in the screenshot that the water uses the light shade of blue seen in the level in the original game. Now look at the video: it uses the darker shade of blue seen in the title screen of the original game. I wonder what would cause this discrepancy.

14. Spunodi

Spunodi

Are the those arpeggios in the background of the invincibility theme the same as at the beginning of the Sonic 2 GG title screen?

15. Liraxus

Liraxus

Some shmuck Member
    Idiotville
    Nothing, really.
    Still absolutely amazed that they were able to nail the soundtrack so well. Studiopolis' only revealed piece of music already sounds like something out of Sonic CD, and I am adoring every second of it, the redone Green Hill still has that wonderful innocent charm of the original, never thought I'd see a real attempt at recreating that amazing, unique feeling the Sonic CD soundtrack gave off, but Studiopolis NAILED it.

16. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    This is definitely the most excited I've been for a new Sonic game since Generations. I loved seeing old levels in the modern style, and seeing new levels in the classic style is going to be just as exciting.

17. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    Sonic does the unused jump animation seen in prototype Sonic 1 pictures at the end of level!!!

I could gush about how gorgeous this game looks, but it'd be echoing sentiments many others here have already posted. Suffice to say I'm hyped.

18. CommandanteStreakTH

CommandanteStreakTH

Indonesia
    Project: Shadow
    FINALLY SEGA is acknowledging you types and are actually even trying to please you! This is good. Veery goooood...

19. NHY

NHY

Woke up to this.

I'm very, VERY impressed by what I see. Definate Day 1 purchase.

Not much else I can say that hasn't been said, really.

20. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Clearly SEGA has finally accepted that the only way they can go back to proper 2D gameplay is to outsource it to people who actually have nailed that down. Just imagine if Sonic 4 was done this way, rather than the mess by Dimps.

Shame that other things have got squandered for this though. A lot of work put into other projects, all going down the drain for this.