don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. CaveQuest

CaveQuest

Puyo Puyo Sun is the best game ever made! Member
    Mean Bean Tsu Machine
    [​IMG]
    This is to show off some work I have done last night on Donnie The Hedgehog. Who is a hack based on Donnie Paradox. @SSF1991

2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    My turn:

[​IMG]

Incomplete of course, but how do we feel about this?

3. InvisibleUp

InvisibleUp

friendly internet ghost Member
    A Sonic 1 disasm where literally every minute detail of every level is separated and easy to edit?

Sign me up!

Are you going to do a similar thing with objects and the like too, where every subroutine is separated?

4. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    You mean like this?

If so, then yes. Though keep in mind that the purpose of this particular project is to "document thoroughly". There were several unused pieces of data, such as cycle palettes for MZ and the special stages that simply got missed/overlooked, I'm looking into documenting every last detail within posible reason. That doesn't mean of course that one couldn't use it to make a hack out of, it is reassemble-able to 1:1 of the original ROM, and can be edited. This includes the z80 sound driver ROM, which is compressed during assembly time, allowing it to be edited and reassembled into the ROM for playback immediately.

I will be honest of course, this is more for personal use if anything, but I'm sharing images here to see if anyone would be interested in having a copy when its finished, I can decide if it's worth releasing then.

5. MrMaestro

MrMaestro

Not your average member of a forum
    Singapore
    Solving a Rubik's cube
    It will take like 1-2 years but when complete this will replace the git disassembly so... yes!

But a question - think about the build.bat file, wont that take a while to compile and a bit of space?

But all & all, great work!

6. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    I would personally be very interested in seeing this kind of stuff documented somewhere. While working on S3C I've run into a lot of dumb overlooked stuff that I should probably write down somewhere, but it feels too niche to put up on TCRF and nobody's going to look at it on the Retro wiki. Being an S3K hacker is just demoralizing in general.

7. Devon

Devon

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Tech Member
    your mom
    [​IMG]

lulz

8. Devon

Devon

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Tech Member
    your mom

9. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Will the tilt eventually affect the gravity? =P

10. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    The amount of times I keep dropping my hack due to lack of ideas/motivation, and yet I still try some stuff from time to time. Recently decided to give a Colours inspired HUD a go, as well as whipping up a new, appropriate life icon to go with it (I was previously using an Adventure 1 life icon I did myself).
    [​IMG]
    Got help from vladikcomper in getting the score over to the right, and I decided to dither it rather than use solid colours so as not to obscure the view of the game screen too much.

11. LoneDevil

LoneDevil

Eternal Underdog Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uB8-3Cble2k

12. Caverns 4

Caverns 4

Sonic: Retold
    Holy cow, that's looking awesome, Lone Devil!

Why over Luigi though?

13. LoneDevil

LoneDevil

Eternal Underdog Member
    Sonic is over Luigi to keep Mario (otherwise, it wouldn't be called Mario Kart) and has appropriate animations.

14. Caverns 4

Caverns 4

Okay, so it's for animation purposes. I was just wondering why Luigi and not baby Luigi, but that would be a lot more work.

15. LoneDevil

LoneDevil

Eternal Underdog Member
    Baby Luigi wouldn't work since he rides small vehicles (Luigi rides medium class of vehicles, perfect for Sonic). Classic Sonic could do but he might get too small.

16. LuigiXHero

LuigiXHero

Sonic 1 Character Pak
    Couldn't you clone all of Luigi's Data over Baby Luigi then use that for Metal Sonic? I know something of that sort is easily done in Brawl Modding.

17. Caverns 4

Caverns 4

That's brawl modding though, and as far as I know, we've cracked brawl like an egg.

Mario Kart might be a tad more tricky.

18. CaveQuest

CaveQuest

Puyo Puyo Sun is the best game ever made! Member
    Mean Bean Tsu Machine

19. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Making some more progress on my Sonic 2 8-bit hack. Acid Hills Zone now has dead trees and all the flowers have completely been destroyed, leaving no traces of them behind. I should probably fix those trees up a bit, I'm not the best sprite artist in the world. :v:/>
    [​IMG]

I've also added some pools of acid, hence the new name of the level. They're not too common in Act 1, but there are a few pools in Act 2. Also did I mention before that you actually start here first instead of Underground Zone? (I can't remember what I've shared here. It's been forever since I've actually shown something here.)
    [​IMG]

20. Out of curiosity, what are you using to hack the 8-bit game, and does the tool work for the other ones like Chaos or Triple Trouble?