don't click here

Sonic CD 718 Beta???

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by SpeedsMyGame, Jul 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpeedsMyGame

SpeedsMyGame

C:\Windows\System32
    Finding the Sonic 2006 E3 demo (not much though)
    For some reason, I caught myself searching through The Pirate Bay, hoping to find something interesting. That was when I saw a torrent that read 'Sonic CD 718 Beta'. I clicked on it and the description read 'The July 18, 1992 build of Sonic CD'. I want to download it, but it has no seeds whatsoever, so it's practically dead. Is this a real build, or could it be fake?

Nevertheless, I might consider downloading it still.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    April Fools, I think.

3. bookman the stinky

bookman the stinky

literal trash Member
    the dong
    find motivation
    I'm all for downloading questionable protos off of some torrent website, especially one with that many seeders :v:/>/>

I wonder how long it takes for the download to hit 1%...

EDIT: Some hours later and the torrent hasn't moved at all. We're moving soooooooo fast!

4. Because a torrent site would be the perfect place to host a beta of an old game.
    Think.

5. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    >July 18, 1992

That would be almost a year before the earliest known build (5/10/1993). I'm thinking they got it mixed up with the 7/12/1993 build.

6. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    I actually have found a beta of an old game on a torrent site once. It has since appeared on other places.

(and the game was older than SCD, too)

7. Well then :v:

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It would actually pre-date Sonic CD as a concept - July 1992 was still Sonic 2 CD territory.

The "718" bit did ring a bell though - it's the name of that Sonic X-treme prototype.

9. SpeedsMyGame

SpeedsMyGame

Yes, it is. When I typed it up on Google, that was what appeared. I expected for it to be discovered already.

10. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Sounds like things got a little Mixy somewhere haha
    Its worth checking out for sure ! because its better to check and say its wrong than not to check at all.

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'm 90% positive that it's the hoax with the added "Mercury Mines" title card, but I can't find any related posts on the internet anymore, for some reason.

12. Spehiroth

Spehiroth

Canada
    Nothing (yet)
    That's the hoax Nemesis made, build 409. You can find it labelled as an authentic prototype on some ROM sites to this day. There's even a few YouTube videos of it. Just google "sonic cd 409 rom". You might not have much luck finding many posts from back when the hoax was first circulating, because many of those old sites are gone now. Selecting R2 on the level select does indeed take you to "Mercury Mine" which is an empty level with a black background and Palmtree Panic Present music.

I can't see how someone could mislabel it as 718, because that's way off from 409. I'm betting on it being a mislabel of build 712. Or, like Black Squirrel pointed out, it could also be Sonic X-treme build 718. On a side note, I also saw one MegaCD ISO torrent with the 510 build labelled as "Sonic 5.10" so it's not uncommon to see mislabeling like this.

13. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I feel like I remember this being a separate hoax from the 409 hoax, IIRC someone posted the torrent but never seeded it.

Or it could just be a typo for 712.

14. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member

Is that a mislabeling though? "YY.MM.DD" is a fairly common way to represent dates

15. SpeedsMyGame

SpeedsMyGame

I think I have a lead. When I typed on Google 'Sonic CD beta hoax", I saw a Wikipedia page about prototype versions of Sonic CD (inferred from the description). It was in Spanish and was called CD Sonic the Hedgehog (like the 510 beta). It said Versions and one of the prototypes listed was 718 Beta, and I could also tell it said something about 18 July, 1992. I am not Spanish, but it was quite easy to tell what it was saying. Anyways, here is the page:

CD Sonic the Hedgehog - Wikipedia

16. Spehiroth

Spehiroth

Canada
    Nothing (yet)
    Google translated that bit for ya:
    I know machine translations are often inaccurate, but I don't understand what it means by "the original game". Is it referring to Sonic 2 CD? Or Sonic 1 CD? Both of these were known to be planned at some point in 1992. Or rather, it could simply be referring to the final game as the original, and that a prototype is an earlier version of the "original", which I have heard people say before. But we don't know anything for sure, since we have no idea what's on that ISO, and there's a high chance it's just some kind of obscure hack. I've seen that kind of situation before, there are still sites passing off Cyan's Sonic 1 Beta Hoax from 1999 as the real thing.

More importantly, if we are to believe that this is real without even knowing what's on the ISO, then where exactly did it come from? I went through the history of that Wiki page, and it appears that the bit talking about 718 has been on there since 2008. How could a prototype get on the Internet with us not knowing about it for all these years? Unless this is a similar situation to the Sonic 2 Wai proto, but it just seems more unlikely now for a dumped prototype to go unnoticed like that, since the Sonic scene has grown a lot since 1998, and you'd think someone would have noticed it by now, considering how avid folks are to find prototypes these days.

Of course, everything is just groundless speculation at this point, we have no idea what this ISO is or where it came from, let alone if it's real, and the torrent seems to have been dead for quite a long time.

Also, the Sonic CD 510 page on the Retro wiki actually has a link to that Spanish wiki page, and it has for years. It's at the bottom, under "External Links" http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_CD_(prototype_510)

You can find the torrent on like a dozen torrent sites just by googling "sonic cd 718 beta". Says it's been on there since August 2007. It's in bin/cue format, and is 542.87 MB, so it's definitely not that tiny X-treme demo, which is only about 21 MB. Of course, 0 seeds = dead torrent = no download for you.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That's not a lead to anything, just a generic description of something that doesn't exist...

18. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Mystery solved by using the board search function.

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=11010&st=0&p=200206&fromsearch=1&#entry200206

19. SpeedsMyGame

SpeedsMyGame

Oh okay then, I guess this was all a hoax. I was hoping there was a build from 1992.

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I think we can call time on the thread now. =P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.